Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Liam T

What was wrong with the old restraints then?

The ride rarely had any downtime because of them and they could fit people in them, which is more than can be said for the new ones!

Take a step back and consider perhaps there's information you don't know, no need to make assumptions for the sake of it. And the ride did have a lot of down time.. several weeks of closure, before the new ones were even installed (probably in the last couple of days).

Sorry I OBVIOUSLY can't tell you what was wrong with them. Neither can anyone else who knows, anyway, that's really not important.

Take a step back and consider perhaps there's information you don't know, no need to make assumptions for the sake of it. And the ride did have a lot of down time.. several weeks of closure, before the new ones were even installed (probably in the last couple of days).

Sorry I OBVIOUSLY can't tell you what was wrong with them. Neither can anyone else who knows, anyway, that's really not important.

So you also made an assumption then? It could be the case that it was just a new rule. Also, I know that it has been closed recently, but it has generally been quite reliable hasn't it? Anyway, not really worth bickering about!

Sub Terra? Reliable?

Never has been really...

The assumption that something wasn't wrong with the original restraints given that the park has changed them to a fair degree is probably wrong as well... Parks change things for quite often (in some opinions) daft reasons on the face of things, one example being that there are no scarves allowed on Merlin ABC drop towers, purely because of one incident...

I reckon something has happened which has caused this change, what? Only the park know...

So you also made an assumption then? It could be the case that it was just a new rule. Also, I know that it has been closed recently, but it has generally been quite reliable hasn't it? Anyway, not really worth bickering about!

No, I know exactly what's wrong with it. If you think you can just post sensitive information (that's really none of my business) on an internet forum just to prove someone who insists on bickering wrong, then you're mistaken. I don't know how you concluded that Sub Terra is reliable, by looking on the Queue Times website? That's not how theme parks work

No, I know exactly what's wrong with it. If you think you can just post sensitive information (that's really none of my business) on an internet forum just to prove someone who insists on bickering wrong, then you're mistaken. I don't know how you concluded that Sub Terra is reliable, by looking on the Queue Times website? That's not how theme parks work

Not by looking at the queue times website, no, but by the fact that it doesn't seem to have much downtime.  Maybe I'm wrong, but surely if a ride is open most of the time rather than breaking down a lot then it's reliable?

Tech services have to do tests every day which are scheduled to resolve any problems before/after opening hours to avoid downtime at all costs. Only if an issue is detrimental to the ride's operation will they shut it completely for a number of days, otherwise engineers will impose restrictions that allow the ride to still operate while the issue is contained. So even when a ride stays open most of the time, that doesn't mean it's a challenge behind the scenes. (OH YEAH, in this post Sky News- era, this doesn't mean the ride is 'unsafe')

Obviously restraints are crucial so it got closed altogether for a number of weeks - that in itself is huge downtime. The new restraints may be imposed by the manufacturer but in response to issues that took place on existing their ride(s).

In fact it's a testament to the tech services that the ride hasn't been down regularly in the past because Sub Terra is one of the more problematic rides (even before construction it was a difficult project altogether). Of course this isn't the first time it's been shut for weeks for significant alterations, whether for the show, the operating procedure or whatever. It'll probably end up a cafe or something. :(

That ride was such a waste of money and time for towers for me. I have only been on that ride twice and that was on opening day and the end of last season and there was so much hype about that ride and I was very disappointed and they asked me after and I could here other people giving feedback of the ride and every other person did not rate it either I think that's something Alton towers miss is a good height drop tower like detonator at Thorpe park and I know that's hard for towers as they have to stay below the tree line but I think they should try and invest in a drop tower if that is possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason the restraints have been changed is because people were trying to CLIMB OUT during the ride.

Reason enough to change them.

The dungeons have the same drop towers but they have not had this problem have they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, if you were ever on a row with a large person, there was a huge amount of space, even for those just on the 1.4m mark... Just shows that to some people it is a very scary experience...

Perhaps the cost of individual restraints was too much, as that would have probably been a better option...

I believe other versions have also been adapted too (Ghost at Billund)...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some contributing factors that I know of.

• NST costs quite a lot of staff to run (normally at least 5 I believe).
  • NST costs a reasaonable about in power to run.
  • NST was getting half loads most of the time I rode it after it reopened.
  • NST had new lap bars fitted in the summer to stop small people from 'Sliding out' (wriggling out like mornins). The new flaps, though, stop anyone fatter than me from riding, which is unacceptable, and also tend to cut into your legs a bit (or did mine). Most runs that I went on since the refit had somoene who 'wouldnt fit' being not alowed to ride. I heard someone get quite vocal abut it.

Some contributing factors that I know of.

• NST had new lap bars fitted in the summer to stop small people from 'Sliding out' (wriggling out like mornins). The new flaps, though, stop anyone fatter than me from riding, which is unacceptable, and also tend to cut into your legs a bit (or did mine). Most runs that I went on since the refit had somoene who 'wouldnt fit' being not alowed to ride. I heard someone get quite vocal abut it.

I can imagine someone kicking off about that would some what ruin the magic of the experience and shatter the illusion just a tad.  :blink:

The lap bar is a one piece design, it's a bad design, we got stuck in the room for 15 minutes while they tried to sort out one of them, eventually they had to ask everybody on the row to leave as it wouldn't lock down even with nobody in the seats, they were not happy.

The lap bar is a one piece design, it's a bad design, we got stuck in the room for 15 minutes while they tried to sort out one of them, eventually they had to ask everybody on the row to leave as it wouldn't lock down even with nobody in the seats, they were not happy.

That happened a few times.

• 1 month later...

With 190 jobs being lost at the start of next year, can anyone see a future for Sub Terra?

I think it's questionable considering the attraction requires a hefty number of staff and is

very expensive to run for the small number of guests it gets.

Personally I hope it stays as it is an attraction I enjoy, but it may not be in Alton's best interests to keep it open.