Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Liam T

I suspect it will open at 12 and close an hour before the rest of the park. Doubt it will be open on weekdays as well. Too costly for an attraction very few people use.

Staggered opening would be bearable for Sub Terra, but closing it early wouldn't work IMO as there would be confusion with guests heading there to find it closed in the final hour(s).

Very few, if any head to NST in the last hour. Staggered openings on it is almost guaranteed and I would be surprised if it opened 7 days a week. It's a bad ride, no one rides it so closing it will have pretty much no impact to everyone's day.

The posts above you disagree

Very few, if any head to NST in the last hour. Staggered openings on it is almost guaranteed and I would be surprised if it opened 7 days a week. It's a bad ride, no one rides it so closing it will have pretty much no impact to everyone's day.

Ignoring the "it's a bad ride" part (as your personal view of the attraction is irrelevant in this discussion), the final hour is often when people go on it from what I've seen.

It never holds a huge queue but that's irrelevant, rides should never close before the advertised closing time and one guest making the effort to get to it only to find it closed is one too many!

Staggered opening at least gives people the option to come back later to experience the attraction, closing it early is just poor customer service.

I meant bad ride as in few ride it, costs a lot to run and has low satisfaction. My personal opinion of it is far less than bad.

Alton want to minimise costs. So reducing the hours of NST is the obvious choice. To minimise the amount of people this disappoints you would close it at the hours where fewest ride it. The morning and an hour before park close.

• 2 years later...

Interesting.. I'm guessing this might be a location for a new maze for Scarefest?

They could theme it to abandoned and neglected things.. Wouldn't take too much effort considering..

It could also be for the proposed Dungeon style attraction, but I'm more convinced Charlie and the SBNO factory will be the location instead of Sub Terra?

I'm not sure the building is big enough to house a full on dungeon unless they expand?

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a Sub-Terra update after over 4 years of inactivity in this thread.

Considerable rumours have been swirling in recent days about the potential of it reopening in 2023, as a potential marketing tool to hype up the Nemesis retrack as well as to ease the burden on Galactica & The Blade while Nemesis is out of action.

Now I hear what you’re all saying; “This rumour has reared its head practically every year since the ride closed. What makes it any more likely to happen this time?”. That is a valid point, in fairness, but there seems to be a bit more weight behind this rumour at the moment, as well as various reasons why it would make a lot of sense.

Recently, there has been quite a bit of work going on in and around the Sub-Terra area. The doors to the building have been open, alarms have been tested, the queue line has been cleared... a fair bit's been going on. In fairness, some of this has gone on in previous years as well, so I can understand scepticism, but the ride does seem to have had an irregularly high amount of work going on around it lately. However... one key thing has now happened that has not happened in any previous year, and that's that they are removing a significant amount of the wood panels from the queue line, which could indicate that they are planning to replace them... which would heavily hint towards it being used again in some capacity. DanJB from TowersStreet Talk shared these photos:

Nemesis-Sub-Terra-1.jpg

Nemesis-Sub-Terra-2.jpg

Source: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/nemesis-sub-terra.4452/page-36#post-382319

Given that they've done next to nothing to Sub-Terra's building since it closed in 2015, I think the fact that they're suddenly ripping out loads of wooden boards is quite a telling sign that they're planning to do something or other with it. If they're ripping stuff out now without an intention to use the building, why would they not have done it at some other point in the last 7 years?

That isn't the only indication, though... with the closure of Nemesis now announced, Alton Towers have suddenly started making a big deal about The Phalanx. The signs around the park advertising Nemesis' closure are supposedly "by order of The Phalanx", and the staff on Nemesis are now wearing boiler suits with the Phalanx logo on them. It should be noted that The Phalanx were never really a part of Nemesis' story until Sub-Terra... could the park's sudden emphasis upon The Phalanx be an indicator that Sub-Terra is making a return?

I should also note that Jb85 on TowersStreet Talk, who works for a local lighting company who have supplied Alton Towers before, has claimed that Alton Towers has requested their services once again for a 2023 project... in the Sub-Terra building:

Somethings happening ok. I can't hide it any longer....

Can't give details but through work I now know this is the project area we are working on

No drama I'm the same but for once actually know

all I know is new lighting effects are going into the building. I suspect its an updated version of what is already their to be honest. I don't actually know anything hardware or theme related.

My point being though, similar to yours, there is no need for endless pages of 'I wonder if something us happening, is it coming back' when it's clear it is, in some shape or form.

No offence taken, and I have to say if I knew exact project details I wouldn't be posting them. New lights isn't  major discussion point.

So on that note I can confirm without a shadow of a doubt they are extending Nemesis to go through the sub terra pit.

Source: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/nemesis-sub-terra.4452/page-29#post-378308

There are also various sources hinting towards a return of the ride next year... the staff are supposedly telling people that Sub-Terra is due to return, various people in the know are hinting towards it and YouTubers, including Theme Park Worldwide, have started making videos about the possibility of it returning.

Now I'm not saying that YouTubers are to be taken as gospel by any stretch, but for what it's worth, Shawn made a video about Duel potentially getting a revamp earlier this year when the evidence pointing towards such a thing was still pretty spurious (probably less concrete than what we're seeing here, as there was neither visible construction nor potentially relevant park teasers), and even though people at the time dismissed it as him simply "stirring the pot on a slow news day", he was actually proven correct when the ride closed a few months later. Now he could well have just been adding 2 and 2 and happened to be correct by coincidence, but given that he worked at Alton Towers for 7 years, lives in the local area and is friendly with many Alton Towers employees, I don't think it's inconceivable to suggest that he might have inside sources. Here's TPW's video:

Another YouTuber, Lift Hills and Thrills, made a video "confirming" that Sub-Terra was returning in 2023. Now I'd take this with a pinch of salt without official park confirmation, but for what it's worth, this person did talk about the Nemesis retrack a year before it was announced (as he reminds us of in the comments), and he said something that I thought was a very intriguing comment to make if he didn't know something... he said that "the capacity of the drop towers may be reduced". Now I don't know about you, but I thought this was a bizarrely specific thing to pick up on if he hadn't genuinely been told something. The speaker also hints that the ride "won't be the same Sub Terra we previously knew"... here's his video:

(Go to 3:11 to hear about the capacity comment)

So that's the evidence we have to suggest Nemesis Sub-Terra could be reopening next season. I don't know about you, but I think that that's pretty solid evidence; there's both concrete evidence (the work), and a fair bit of smoke rumours-wise, and as they always say, there's no smoke without fire.

Personally, I'm pretty confident that we could be seeing Sub-Terra return in some form next season. The rumour mill is spinning significantly more than it has been in previous years, not to mention that there is also a fair amount of concrete evidence (work taking place inside the building, the sprucing up, and the recent hefty removal of queue line wood), as well as possible hints from the park themselves (why have Alton Towers suddenly made The Phalanx such a big thing on Nemesis?). Not to mention that I think it would make an awful lot of sense; that area of the park could use some support capacity-wise without Nemesis, and I also think that Sub-Terra reopening could be quite an effective marketing tool for the retrack.

But what do you guys reckon?

TL;DR Rumours are swirling that Nemesis Sub-Terra could be reopening in 2023. This is because:

• Significant work has been taking place in and around the building, including the recent removal of a fair amount of queue line wood.
  • The park have suddenly made a lot of references to The Phalanx (a key part of Sub-Terra) around Nemesis.
  •  There are many sources, including park staff, suggesting that the ride could be reopening next season.

Sorry to double post, but I have an update... as per TowersStreet Facebook, construction fences have also now been put up around the building:

https://www.facebook.com/TowersStreet/posts/pfbid02kyjuthqiWHsnkXDbsTk7wiebzw6gKsSwLUff8zz2tYdxtvyXd8woYFTfBU7dJayFl

I don't know about any of you, but to me, this certainly implies that something is happening...

• 4 weeks later...

On the topic of Sub-Terra, I think this video that Alton Towers themselves posted is an interesting watch that could potentially be hinting towards a Sub-Terra return of some sort:

I know it talks about Nemesis, but the bits about “new head of the Phalanx John Dalton” and “reports of inside corruption” definitely seem like they could be hinting towards some sort of new storyline and rebirth for what was Sub-Terra.

I also found the “there’s more to this story than meets the eye” intriguing…

What do you guys reckon?

• 5 weeks later...

The plot thickens... aerial photos taken recently suggest that Sub-Terra is currently a hive of activity, and a local engineer has promoted that they are working on the ride on Twitter:

Interestingly, the photos show that a new queue line is being built on top of the old boards... which would certainly suggest that the building is being reused, in my eyes.

It should also be noted that this engineer referred to the ride as "Nemesis Sub-Terra", for what it's worth...

An interesting drone shot has been captured by Danny from TowersStreet Talk that confirms that new queue line is indeed being installed, and that quite a bit of construction is going on in the area:

Nemesis-Sub-Terra-Drone-Shot.jpg

Interestingly, they also seem to have covered the Phalanx tank outside the building with tarpaulin...

I think this is a pretty strong sign that Sub-Terra is likely to be reopening in some form, personally!

Here's Danny's original post on TowersStreet, if you'd like to view it: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/nemesis-sub-terra.4452/page-49#post-390995

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, Mark9 said:

(I loved it until they added the scare maze at the end, felt unnecessary to me)

Genuinely quite shocked to see anyone share my opinion of it! I thought it was a pretty cracking little dark ride after the first round of updates in April 2012, excited to see it return presumably without actors.

• 1 month later...

Best part of Sub Terra reopening was the reopening ceremony and the subsequent video released by Towers featuring a blink and you'll miss it glimpse of someone with the old nemesis logo on a jacket. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPhhEWqnQE

If Merlin put as much effort into their day to day operations as they do their marketing, we'd have the best theme parks on the planet. I don't know any ride anywhere like Nemesis that has had this much love and attention for a retracking.

I only beg that Merlin get Nemesis Inferno in on the act. It's an odd admission now that Sub terra has become one giant Nemesis campaign.