Topspin, or not topspin?

Tom

Topspin or not topspin?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Should Thorpe Park get a topspin?

I voted maybe.

There is no point adding a flat ride unless it has something unique compared to the other experiences a park has to offer. I suppose a unique aspect of a Top Spin is that its a flat ride which can interact well with water. Then again, Thorpe isn't exactly in short supply of water rides, the actual ride experience (rotating ride with a free spinning aspect) is covered in some way or another by Samurai. Also, if you are thinking about spinning rides alone, Thorpe is very well covered in that respect as well.

Thinking about it, both top spins which they currently operate with water both suffer their own fair share of technical difficulties due to the water.

So I'd say highly unlikely/not needed but should one be installed, it would have something to offer.

There's issues with space with a Jump2 though, and in my opinion they look awful. So... chunky and blocky. Like a fairground ride maximised. Hard to explain but I imagine it'd be hard to theme one even if Thorpe could find the space (they take about just a little bit over Rush's foot-print)

There's issues with space with a Jump2 though, and in my opinion they look awful. So... chunky and blocky. Like a fairground ride maximised. Hard to explain but I imagine it'd be hard to theme one even if Thorpe could find the space (they take about just a little bit over Rush's foot-print)

Easy, just get rid of Slammer ;)

I see what you mean but I reckon the GP would really take to this, just glancing at the page on the HUSS website there seems to be a variety of themes available....

Posted Image

I think that Thorpe park should get a topspin, possibly an indoor dark one on The Swarm island that continues the theme of The Swarm. Sound effects, flashing lights, you get the idea.

As long as it is NOT the one from Chessington, it is a good idea in my opinnion.

Why not get a breakdance, a huss pirate ship and a vekoma corkscrew whilst we are at it if we plan to purge the 80's and 90's for all their worth.

I think that Thorpe park should get a topspin, possibly an indoor dark one on The Swarm island that continues the theme of The Swarm. Sound effects, flashing lights, you get the idea.

As long as it is NOT the one from Chessington, it is a good idea in my opinnion.

I like this idea, it would be like the indoor Tomb Raider one with the special effects; fire, wind and water

Why not get a breakdance, a huss pirate ship and a vekoma corkscrew whilst we are at it if we plan to purge the 80's and 90's for all their worth.

Why does it always feel that no one can share their opinion without scrutiny and getting shot down?

Edited by Sidders
Swearing, direct rudeness. Please take it to PM.

Why does it always feel that no one can share their opinion without scrutiny and getting shot down?

It helps if your opinions hold credibility. Adding a top spin with some lights is hardly revolutionary in a park that is striving to be the best out there. Neither is adding a giant top spin when the things have already proved to be unreliable and unnecessarily large for their lack of popularity.

So far, no one has really given a good enough reason for Thorpe Park to get a top spin, particularly as there's one down the road already. If you suggest a good enough excuse for Thorpe to add a tired, old ride concept, then I am all ears but so far apart from dressing mutton up as lamb, Thorpe really don't need one.

The thing with Chessington's Topspin is that the market audience of Thorpe Park and Chessington are different. Chessington are a family park and a ride like the Topspin would be better suited for a place like Thorpe Park, where more people would go on it and the demand for it would be higher than of Chessington's Topspin.

Thorpe Park could put the Topspin enclosed in a building and add special effects; water, fire and wind and create a pre-show and make it a nice, immersive and atmospheric experience. The Topspin at CWoAR is just a plain, old Topspin that is landscaped and themed well but it is situated outdoors, making it a great for spectators to watch.

I don't know about you, but if I had to choose between Rameses Revenge and an indoor's Talocun, I'd choose the 2nd option

Edited by Will

The thing with Chessington's Topspin is that the market audience of Thorpe Park and Chessington are different. Chessington are a family park and a ride like the Topspin would be better suited for a place like Thorpe Park, where more people would go on it and the demand for it would be higher than of Chessington's Topspin.

I think the word 'family' has lost it's meaning a bit here. A family doesn't just mean children, a 'family park' should fundamentally cater for the entire family, as the name derives. This kind of suggests that a 'family park' should have a sufficient amount of rides to entertain all sectors, people who enjoy slightly larger rides included. It feels a bit like a lot of people's instict when a park is labelled with 'family' tag that all sources of thrills are suddenly out of place.

Loyalty also comes into play a bit here too. Most of us probably find more enjoyment from The Swarm than we would Tiny Truckers, but many of us still continue to return to Chessington because it's special to us. Some of us might have spent our first theme park years there and I know from experience that some non-enthusiasts still hold that feeling and enjoy returning. Why then try and continue to remove the few avenues for thrills left? There's only so much that can keep our generation from returning, and Rameses is a ride which probably has a bigger impact in that respect on Chessington than it would Thorpe. This doesn't just apply to removing Rameses (because it doesn't haul in the crowds as it is), it's also about the scope for future Chessington projects. There's nothing wrong with providing a few thrills as well as fun, and judging from the gate figures Chessington has plenty of that...

So, now you are saying they should move a ride thats already well past its sell by date, a 15 year old attraction with numerous issues, because Chessington has a family target audience. Now, I don't know about you, but I've been to Gardaland, I've been to Parque Warner Madrid and I've been to funfairs, all having top spins and all three rides are incredibly unpopular. Rameses is unpopular, Ripsaw can muster ten minute queues when Air is an hour and Nemesis is 25 minutes. We're talking about a ride that like Slammer, has good visual appeal but does not invite riders in easily.

Thorpe Park could put the Topspin enclosed in a building and add special effects; water, fire and wind and create a pre-show and make it a nice, immersive and atmospheric experience. The Topspin at CWoAR is just a plain, old Topspin that is landscaped and themed well but it is situated outdoors, making it a great for spectators to watch.

See, you hit the point here. As I've said Rameses is a great visual ride. What everyone seems to be suggesting is put it inside so you can't see what it does and that gives it atmosphere. So we're now heading into X: No Way Out territory. Doing this, requires far more space then just plonking a top spin on the Fungle Safari site. Because if you want to make it an atmospheric indoor ride, the queue ideally needs to be inside, the building needs to have lots of space to accomodate maybe animatronics, story scenes like Hex for pre shows. And then the ride itself which if we go down the giant top spin route like you suggested means we have a huge ride which is just like a normal top spin but takes longer to load and is 0/1% more effective.

I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall here when I ask for someone to give me a logical reason why Thorpe needs a top spin. Everyone seems to avoid the issue that park run top spins are pretty shoddy and goes to talk about effects and giant top spins and Talocan.

Having been on Talocan last week, I can say even then I don't want one at Thorpe. Yes it's awesome and looks awesome, but the actual ride experience was only slightly improved over our older ones, the effects and theming are what made the ride. Whilst Thorpe's theming has improved I think we all know that they are still a LONG way off building something as immersive as Talocan... Also the effects were barely visible when on the ride anyway (especially when facing away), again making it much more of a spectator ride. It was a walk on all day and still many more people were watching than on the ride.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

MOD EDIT - Thread created to end further derailing of the X topic.

I would like some decent flat rides/shows in the non-coaster years. As much as changing the swarm backwards is good, I would rather something better be put in instead. I mean they need to re-paint Colossus and refurb X(which they are already doing) and things like that etc!

In the years to come, I would like to see a new show in the Pirates 4D building, some new flat rides and some updating and general maintenance of the current rides and that's all on top of adding resturants etc.

A few new flat rides would be nice for me:

A topspin

A mondial airwolf

A mondial shake/huss booster

This year I really hope X has better themeing, even if they keep the same themeing I actually hope they update it and add more themeing too it!
Also I would like to see the return of the old,classic soundtrack!

Thorpe Park= :), on 17 Feb 2013 - 11:19, said:

I'm sorry but topspins are awesome and everyone is entitled to their own opinion :glare:

We hear you, but it's not just a case of "That's your opinion and we think it's dumb, so we're going to punish you". It's more a case of how it's been suggested so much in almost every closed season/new ride discussion as a potential flat ride that Thorpe don't have yet somehow should have. Each time it arises there are plenty of reasons discussed as to why it would be a bad move: uncomfortable, out-dated, spectator ride, comparatively unpopular, Alton and Chessington both have one, etc., etc.

It's nothing personal, it's just that the proposition of a Top-Spins is getting ridiculously repetitive now and whilst enthusiasts and Thorpe don't always view certain things in the same way - particularly those pertaining to the park's attractions - it's a fairly safe bet that Thorpe won't be installing one, regardless of the demand.

No because ripsaw is run on rubbish cycles and would be run on even worse ones at thorpe! Just compare ripsaws cycles(rubbish) to ones on rameses revenge(good)!

Rameses revenge:

Ripsaw:

At least on rameses you always get a soaking aswell and most times you'll get a double soaking! Rameses always goes around twice due to short queues and you always get the spin cycle. But with ripsaw it is popular so you barely ever get a good, long cycle! That's why I'm glad we have rameses at chessington because it isn't very popular there and peaks at 20/30 min queues!