Topspin, or not topspin?

Tom

Topspin or not topspin?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Should Thorpe Park get a topspin?

Essentially everyone is fairly tired of seeing it pop up in every new ride topic since 2008, so direct any topspin love or hate here!

Interesting to see just what it is about the topspin that everyone feels is a necessity in every theme park.

Please give reasons for choices; let the fight begin!

I voted no.

Solely because there's one at Chessington, and Towers. And they're great rides... at them parks. Rameses I rate highly as a Chessington ride; but I wouldn't want one at Thorpe because it isn't a ride I'd particularly see as "popular" or go with the thrilling line up of what's already there. Not unless it was something daft like standing, floor less, back-to-back top spin; and even then, maintenance would be ridiculous.

Also voted no.

Main reason being that they are getting on a bit now, apart from Talocan.

I do enjoy them, especially Chessington's but after a few goes they are a bit vomit inducing, especially when on a good setting.

Isn't the Windshear what Tidal Wave at Flamingoland was? If so, definate no-no. That thing bored me to death :)

I think a TopSpin would suit Thorpe, but I still voted no for the reason Rob gave. The only way I could see Thorpe installing one is if they go one better and buy a Giant TopSpin and theme the **** out of it, á la Talocan.

But essentially, they don't need one. What they do need is a decent dark ride/experience. Flats are something Thorpe have plenty of.

I voted no.

Simply put, Thorpe Park have a wide array of flat rides, and a topspin just doesn't add that much to what they've already got. It's a ride that usually gets you wet - Thorpe have 5 water rides as it is, so another water-based ride would have to be a bit special, which topspins are not. To not add water effects to this sort of ride would be wasteful, though. Also, it's just not that unique - many, many theme parks have them, and it's not really a ride to scream and shout about in honesty. It would have to be extremely special for it to be of any worth to the park.

As said, Thorpe have a wide array of flats, some of which are quite unique. If Thorpe decide to get a new flat ride, they should add something which further adds to this line up, not be a ride that makes other rides seem better.

(As a side note, I'd love to see Thorpe go for an enclosed ride of some description - would work a treat if given the correct thought!)

I would only want a Topspin at Thorpe Park if it was a giant one and themed like Talocun otherwise I don't think it's worth it as some dark ride experience.

You'd go for something that takes up double the space of a normal spin and is about 0.1% more effective. Considering the original one is now SBNO, I don't think buying one is a good idea (Although I like how Rameses's original design is still on Huss's website)

My thoughts on the top spin are pretty clear. They are a waste of potential whatever theme park they are put in, You can theme them well but when more people watch then ride, it becomes its own conclusion. Waste of time and effort Thorpe Park even considering one.

I voted no. Why should Thorpe bother when there is a perfectly good one down the road? I'd rather they went for something a little different, not really fussed what though, just something that adds to the park experience rather than does nothing except boost the number of rides there.

I voted no. Why should Thorpe bother when there is a perfectly good one down the road? I'd rather they went for something a little different, not really fussed what though, just something that adds to the park experience rather than does nothing except boost the number of rides there.

Couldn't resist :D

Not voted yet but it'll be a no, I can't see all 3 Merlin parks in the UK having a topspin or at least something down the line in the topspin format. If it does happen I could see maybe a straight swap with Quantum heading to Chessie and RR heading to Thorpe, take out the water effects and maybe add some smoke and fire.

If anything, I think the next park investment will be a solid dark ride. Something I think the park has lacked since the days of WWH.

Chessie need to move forward with it's own rides, not get given unwanted and awful cast-offs from another park...

Chessie are dead and will never move forward because they don't go forward with the plans they have. They have probably loads of ideas for new themed areas, new rides and rollercoasters but they can't make a decision and stick with it.

Edited by Will

Jeeez, I was literally spitballing the idea. Chessie have added a stage and 2 cans of dulux this year yet the figures I'm sure will be consistent. I personally don't think it would be any loss / gain by swapping one for the other considering it's target market, besides it's not like this hasn't been done before.

It has been done before, but why should another park have a big ride removed so another can have it? This isn't Six Flags...

It's just simply not a brilliant idea, and it's bad enough Chessie don't get anything already, it doesn't need another Peeking Heights...

It has been done before, but why should another park have a big ride removed so another can have it? This isn't Six Flags...

It's just simply not a brilliant idea, and it's bad enough Chessie don't get anything already, it doesn't need another Peeking Heights...

So what would you suggest?

This is something that has been on my mind for quite some time. It's fine people saying that they don't think a topspin is suited to Thorpe (myself included). The question is, is there a flat ride that is actually worth the park investing in that they can easily fit in?

For me the answer is not really, I think the best option is going down the dark ride route (though whether a good job would be done on it or not I'm not so sure). I just can't think of a decent flat ride out there that is suited to the park in terms of space, throughput and high thrills, and offers something the park don't already have.

Just my opinion.

Exactly :)

As I stated in some other thread which has evaded my mind for now a quality dark attraction is just what Thorpe needs, where it would best go is anyones guess but there have been question marks over the future of X in recent weeks.

In regards to the whole spacing / throughput issue and on a medium investment type budget as I posted before I still think a Zacspin would be a perefect solution.

For Thorpe or Chessie? As I have a list as long as my arm for the latter...

Thorpe, it does need a good quality dark ride, but then again you have to ask if it would suit the target audience? Here in lies the issue really, they've put themselves in such a position in which a dark ride to the scale of say, Huntik (3D and lasers) wouldn't need to be outrageously themed because really, it'd be seen as very much a family esque ride, unless they pulled another Saw (Eurofighters remember are normally 1.2m restriction) or Sub Terra and make it 'scary'...

Flat rides on the other hand do suit Thorpe, but there aren't many reliable ones in the world these days that don't already exist at the park... Gotta think in terms of space and throughput, and there aren't very many flats that have a high throughput... Fabbri Boosters have that issue, Huss Topple Towers are unreliable as well as the Jump 2 (one of which is also a boring ride really, dunno about the other)...

What else is there? The park needs more throughput munching rides for the busier summer months... A ZacSpin would be unique to the UK and we can see what the fuss is all about, but then what?

I have a feeling Thorpe's future is going to be interesting when it's reaches the peak of ability to expand... Probably going to start looking like Blackpool...

Thorpe, it does need a good quality dark ride, but then again you have to ask if it would suit the target audience? Here in lies the issue really, they've put themselves in such a position in which a dark ride to the scale of say, Huntik (3D and lasers) wouldn't need to be outrageously themed because really, it'd be seen as very much a family esque ride, unless they pulled another Saw (Eurofighters remember are normally 1.2m restriction) or Sub Terra and make it 'scary'...

Good point, I think I suggested something along the lines of "el laberinto del minotauro" at Terra Mitica as something that could "fit the gap" so to speak.

Interesting that you should mention the "Jump 2" as it's something a number of people have suggested, decent(ish) capacity and visual pleasing but a mixed bag as far as reviews go....