What is happening with the arena?

c1hrisin

there has been a lot of work and confusion about the arena and the area around it but what I really want to ask is, what is up with all this changing of the game stalls?

Posted Image

They seem to be moving around large game stalls. E.g. The bouncy walkrope has been moved from its original situation next to the arena to over by the monkey boat. I have also noticed the other large shooting gallery has been removed. Could this be to do with something in the arena? as all the entrances have been blocked off with security fence and signs (That I forgot what they say)

Posted Image

Well, the MTDP did mention an arena refurb; don't think it mentioned any sort of extension though. Think there's been something mentioned to council about having the arena show films / hold concerts as well, though not sure about that.

Perhaps they are just working through a slight refurb of it; maybe getting a new fencing outline or something? Hopefully that open air stage thing by Stealth will still go ahead - would mean less of those ugly temporary stages being dotted around the park..

I had not heard about this new stage near stealth? That could mean that they might get a new dark riede in there

I made this picture

Posted Image

As I was saying the park needs more dark rides, a lazer shoot out like Duel at AT or Tomb Blaster at CWOA. It could be themed like the swarm with you needing to shoot the bat things. In the picture I basically filled out the arena with Tomb Blaster which is around about the same size size on google maps in the same scale. The arena is only used during a small part of the year and its kind of a waste of space this would also be a good filler attraction.

If there was to be a swarm add on, I understand the parks not best at themed areas but I wouldn't want a Swarm related ride in that spot, I do agree on the idea of a dark ride as I also feel the arena is a waste of space, if they were to put a Swarm attraction in there it would be thoroughly confusing.

• 1 year later...

*Thread Resurrection*

Bring back the arena!

Seriously redeveloping the Arena site with a new show played more often maybe up to 4 times a day would be great and overall in comparison to building a coaster a lot cheaper; with the added bonus that it doesn't cost as much to redo it again to form a different show.

I'm thinking something along the lines of Universals Waterworld or Disneys Indiana Jones, big action shows.

Costs involved of a show would be diesel, petrol, kerosene maybe and electric, bit of maintenance, along with wages and the developing of the show.

Compared to cost of a big flat ride or coaster possibly many millions and then more electric, much higher maintenance, staff wages and the fact to change the whole ride experience would cost a lot more than a show.

I think when the costs are stacked side by side over a few years you'll get more for your money with an arena show, that with a high capacity could eat queues at certain times of the day.

Just an idea,

Tom.

thorpe needs other things to do besides rollercoasters and spinning rides, as there's barely anything to ride when your head needs a break lol... so nice to see the 4d cinema coming back, and as much as like the idea, I just can't see thorpe doing it, neither do I think it will be that popular (and would only have it on peak days), as it is nothing like universal or disney where you go for the whole experience (and plus it's busy every day pretty much), not just the rides, as in thorpes case, it's really not that special.

Shows are a LOT more expensive than rides to run, especially one that would involve fire and other effects...

The UK needs to embrace some shows, but most of the ones we do are really crap... Indeed, the only reason enthusiasts seemed to like this year's Mutiny Bay offering was because it was very panto humour... Something that doesn't translate well to big shows...

Although it's a good idea, I can't see it working.

Unfortunately even with the slight higher emphasis to the family audience, I still think the shows in the arena as they would cost a great deal to run and maintain and would not earn their keep on off peak days.

This is pretty much what happened with Saw Alive, where the costs to run and maintain it were so great (about the equivalent of running a few rides at the parkI believe), they now only open it during Fright Nights due to the low attendances there. A show is something the park could get in the future depending on target audience, but not right now.

The 4D cinema's return is a move in the right direction for now, as it brings another show/indoor attraction for the park which is what it badly needs.The best uk show at the mo, is probably the stunt show at Legoland, which although certainly not near the scale of the states, is a great exciting fun show overall.