On Ride DVDs - Should more rides get it?

tomglazed

They should get more if they lower the prices by a lot. Cedar point was charging $5 for a photo to shine some light on how overpriced they are here. And thats just pictures, the dvd's are even worse. No one is going to watch it more than once so to charge what they do is ridiculous. They would be better off lowering the prices to increase sales by a greater proportion. Anyone can work that out as long as they are above the age of 2, so why picsolve havent worked that out is a complete mystery.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I personally think that ALL rides should have the ability to get on ride imagery (even T cups). I think DVD is the wrong format.

What the industry needs is someone to take a fresh approoach. The problem with dvd's is that suppliers seem to think that you need to have an edited experience, when most people I know want simply 2 views, one looking at them, one looking where they are looking. OK put an intro at the start and at the end but simply show the ride, in it's entirity, from the point where you board the car to the point when you leave the car. DVD as a medium, though, is so 1990's.

How it should work?

option 1, at the park

1) I ride a ride

2) As I leave a ride I tap my phone against something. It detects my face and then searches the last few rides footage for me, (including any footage in the queue and station). It then compiles all this footage into a video list for me and puts them on a web page. It processes my purchase for the video using apple pay or android pay and then sends an email link to my apple/android account to the list of videos.

3) I watch at my leasure

option 2. at home

1) I get home, upload a photo of myself and it scans for me in all video of the selected rides and gives me a list of times. I can purchase vids of any of those, or maybe my whole day. The rest works like above.

OK the data behind this is huge, but storage is cheep. The privacy issue it creates are also immense(the park and any of thier affiliates can basically track which rides you have ridden), but this kind of tech is already in opperation at music festivals so why not at theme parks.

The thing is, if this is done cleverly, the whole park can be video'd and it can not only be used for this but also for crime prevention.( Bag thefts would be a thing of the past )

• 7 months later...

Wild assumption maybe but will assume DBGT is not a candidate for on ride video! For their indoor experiences it could be an idea to install cameras similar to YourDay which capture you and your group certain moments just to show the emotion and reactions at certain points. Obviously most of the moments maybe from transitions/corridors to the next section so as not to spoil what's inside but just a thought for the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends how much time is spent with some VR contraption covering your face! Does anyone know how they are doing the Galactica photos, is it just a standard green screen thing?

The Galactica photo point is a dome on the wall you put your head into and it puts it into a Space Selfie. Includes different customisable backgrounds.

Depends how much time is spent with some VR contraption covering your face! Does anyone know how they are doing the Galactica photos, is it just a standard green screen thing?

To be honest, even snippets of seeing people's reactions to what they are seeing in VR whilst wearing the headsets is quite amusing.

At the company I work at, we have an Oculus Rift and it's quite amusing to see some people wear the headset and for example go on a roller coaster or a horror game and what you see with them wearing the headsets is hilarious!

It's also worth taking into account that whatever is experienced inside DBGT is advised that it's kept secret. Onride DVDs would be a dead giveaway and poof, the magic's gone as well.

Hence what I meant by cameras either capturing the transition from main event to main event or strategically placed so as not to ruin what's inside.