Wicked Witches Haunt

Garyy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Up, Up and Away

Wicked Witches Haunt was actually re-themed from the original ride at Thorpe Park which was called Phantom Fantasia. I can just remember this ride as I was young at the time. As best as I can remember it was in the (what is now) Calypso Quay area in side a building (not dissimila to Pirates 4D) and was next door to another ride called Space Station Zero (A mack rollercoaster in the dark with lights and space ship laser sounds).To get an idea of what it was like the Amimatronics were very similar (and so was the atmosphere) to the (robotic) Phantom who plays a church organ at the station area of the Vamipre ride, Chessinton. It really was very similar to this and infact always reminds me of the Thorpe Park ride.You sat in a bat shaped chair which held about 4 to 5 people in a single row and a single metal lap bar came down. The 'Bat Chairs' if I can call them that NEVER stopped at the station they moved by themselves on a fixed conveyor belt underneith the chairs. When you boarded, the platform moved that you was standing on at exactly the same speed as the chairs were moving - In fact it was an identical idea to the way you board Rumba rapids - only its in the dark and there is no water. Atmospheric music played throughout the ride which lasted about 4 or 5 minuites. The best part of the ride (in my view) was towards the end where you saw about a dozen full size robotic skeletons dancing with partners in a hall. The chairs spiraled downwoods from above so you could see them clearly. There were no sudden drops or fast moves in the ride at all. It moved around at a walking speed and the chairs turned at different angles throughout the ride. It was a jazzed up version of a ghost train at the seaside but was very enjoyable and was suitable for families even with young kids. I can still remember those ghostly laughs.......Phantom Fantasia/Wicked Wiches Haunt - RIP

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah Phantom fantasia/ Wicked Witched Haunt was a classic and one of the best dark rides in the UK I think ( after Prof Burp's and fifth Dimension that used to be at Chessington) the Theming and Athmosphere where great - the carrage turned to show you different scenes through various Windows etc - I liked the scene where there was a banquet and henry the 8th's 6 wives appeared and dis-appeared round the table, and the bakery where this woman was making pies which had human fingers sticking out of them! It was quite a random ride - but was all the more unique for it!

It was a really cool ride, I was a kid so loved it. Similar to the old haunted house at Towers but not as grand looking.If you look at the carousel you will see a big black seat that you can sit on near the flying fish. They were the cars and they spun to revealm more ghostOne of my favourites

As best as I can remember it was in the (what is now) Calypso Quay area in side a building (not dissimilar to Pirates 4D) and was next door to another ride called Space Station Zero (A mack rollercoaster in the dark with lights and space ship laser sounds).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that little ride, is the one which is currently being put back into Thorpe Park. Answers on a postcard by Friday, to answer which little ride that is -_-

HAHA yeah, Space Station Zero, surprisingly, was the Flying Fish. Why does hardly anyone believe me when I say that?

Similar to the old haunted house at Towers but not as grand looking

I don't really see how it was similar to the Original Haunted House. The Haunted House had/ has individual cars that went around a circuit, was much longer, and was actually quite scary.WWH had a complete circuit of cars, there were no gaps in- between, there was a constant stream of them. It was one of the only ones in the world- Others include the Haunted Mansion rides at the Disney Parks.Although, if you'd like to elaborate on your opinion, I'd be happy to hear it. -_-

WOOO!! KFC!! -_- Even though I don't eat meat, but yay!I actually was scared to go near WWH ride until I was about 4.When I went on it though, I loved it, I loved the quirkyness of it all. I'd like to see a return of rides that don't take themselves so seriously.It can get tedious when every ride is like "you're gonna die, you won't be able to walk after you've been on this."This is why I support the return of The Flying Fish; it's just such a relief to have a "fun" ride back.My dad and my auntie used to take it in turns to go in a car by themselves on WWH, and then we used to buy the photo of them sitting by themselves- they looked extremely sad/ pathetic. Bless them!

I remeber parts of this ride quite vividly, but towards it's latter years, I became abit complacent and didnt wanna act scared infront of my friends thus resulting in laughing at the animatronics and trying to pull rude gestures at the on-ride photo... I can now see the error in my ways.I only remember Wicked Witches Haunt but the memories are a bit all over the place. The entrance was moved to the side of the Phantom Phantasia building and it had a huge witch on the top pointing its finger at you (it might have cackled but I cant remember), and the exit was the old entrance to PP I think. I remember the cars, they were like black shell looking things (there is still a look a like car on the carosel like somone said earlier) and it went around a turn table like rumba. The cars turned to face different scenes and some of them actually made them jump (the traditional skeleton shaking a cage always got me). I remember a witch with a couldron and the spiraling around King Henry the 8ths table. At the time I didnt think much of the ride, but I would give anything to ride it again now. Looking back, it scared me as a child and was quite jumpy and creepy - and even if some of the anamtronics were abit tacky, it was still an enjoyable ride. Alas, it would probably be a 'Duel' type ride if it was still around today now (Duel 2: The Wiked Witch Stricks Back)... ruined and all its characted drained away. If I remember more I will post.I can't remember alot of the area behind it though (where the lift hill for Nemesis Inferno/ Rubish Bins are now. I remeber the bridge that bypassed Mr Monkeys' and over Tropical Travels into what is now Calypso Quay. I think there was a little court yard with a fountain - according to this map I have anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved WWH! I never rode it when it was phantom phantasia though...The witch on the entrance sitting there, shaking it's head was great! as was the theming...Althouh it would probably have laser blasters in it now if it hadn't have been burnt down.Shame it did burn down, it was FAB!But I do think it pushed Thorpe into the 'Thrilling' age... As with Nno Fire, No Detonator, No Det, No Thrills...

• 4 months later...

At Beaulea (sp?) near the new forest there is a ride called wheels around the world and is an identical type of ride with all the trains never stoping and the trains turning - sorta brings back a memory but not quite!I really do miss TWWH but things happen for a reason - in this case for the better - nemmesis Inferno Matt

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...