Colossus vs. Inferno

Mer

Colossus vs Inferno  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

It's 3am, can't sleep and thought this would be an interesting poll as at one point these were the only two "big" coasters at Thorpe and its not been done before!

I have a feeling I'll be shot down for even asking and for what my answer is, but it will be interesting to see everyone's opinions :P

I have to say Colossus. Inferno is a good coaster and yeah it has some great, forceful moments (which often result on me coming off with a headache!) but it just doesn't do it for me for some reason. Yes it's fun but at the same time I find myself bored, dare I say it! Pre-lift is good fun, first drop with the kicker is good (and better than Colossus'), loop, zero-g and that turn are brilliant...but then that for me is where it loses it. I'm not saying the corkscrews and helixes aren't thrilling, because they are, I mean it's a coaster, of course they are to an extent. But for some reason (I really don't know why!) I don't find them *that* great. And then it ends! I know it's not all about ride duration and like I said it does some great elements in a such a short ride but I always feel like it's incomplete when it ends. The theming it does have, when working fully, is great, mainly the mist/tunnel and is better than Colossus, I'll give it that. And yes it's B&M, but I'm not going to let that sway my decision no matter how great they are :P

Now Colossus...well I find myself more excited and occasionally a little nervous when going up the lift hill! I like the layout and love how it interacts so well with the queue and the guests. I always have a smile on my face, especially during the corkscrews and the inlines :D And that final inline...! When it hits the brakes I always have that "Phew!" kinda moment which I just don't get on Inferno, or at least not to the same extent. Theming...well the fountain and pit need sorting so it could be better but it still looks good and the soundtrack is just ^_^

A good question is: how much does the theming and landscaping affect opinions? Hard to say tbh. Infernos theming is better but the effects have never worked fully for a decent enough period, but then neither has the Medusa fountain. So basically it's quite easy to imagine the rides without any theming ;) But I would probably still say Colossus. Landscaping however, Colossus would be so bland without its interaction and would be duller... I honestly can't say if my opinion would change, but it would definitely be closer! One thing I will say; I really do miss the days of the lake under the inlines! Curse you Saw: Alive!

So yeah: whilst Inferno has its good points and wins for theming, it feels like it's cut short whereas Colossus doesn't. I personally find Colossus more consistently thrilling and entertaining whereas I find Inferno lacks in the second half. Don't get me wrong - it is close! - but Colossus wins it for me!

*Please don't hurt me!*

^^^ This is so true - the second half of Inferno is dull

Where as the thirlling points of Colossus are the drop, loop, bunny hop (beginning) and then the heartline rolls (end) - I think starting and finishing on the most thrilling elements is a winning formula that Inferno lacks

I'd say the first half of nemesis inferno is the best 1st half out of the 2 rides and the second half of Colossus has the best second half is obviously cos of the corkscrews and the 5 zero g- rolls but overall both are class rides I think :)

Gotta be Inferno.

I love Inferno's layout, theme, audio - the full out experience. Though not the best example of a B&M invert, I enjoy it each time and is one ride I always love to go on.

Colossus has a great layout and audio. However, it's ageing badly and isn't that comfortable. There's just something that doesn't draw me to it; I like it - don't get me wrong - but I just don't feel the need to go on it when I'm on park. I guess you could say that, unfortunately, it's the bad experiences you remember the most, and Colossus has a few bad experiences with its roughness. To be honest, Colossus doesn't even rank in my top 3 coasters at Thorpe...

Inferno quite easily for me.

And then it ends!

That line sums it up for me. Every time it hits the breakrun I just think 'oh, here already', like not that much has just happened. It is hard to explain because when you look at what it does it should be good, but it just isn't. It doesn't have a feeling or pace or flow or something, I can't quite put my finger on it. And the speed it hits that breakrun is just a huge waste of potential energy, it could do so much more. It is probably the weakest B+M invert I have ridden, although that is like saying it is the least delicious Krispe Kreme I've eaten. It still is a good ride.

Colossus on the other hand feels like it throws everything it possibly could at you, fulfilling its potential. And I find it neither rough or uncomfortable, even if the restraints and legroom are a little tight. I love it.

I definitly think that out of the five rollecoasters at Thorpe, Inferno and Colossus are the most workmanlike, substantial rides at the park and now that they have settled are both incredibly reliable and important rides at the park.

To be frank it's a hard one for me. Inferno is one of the worst B&M's I've ridden whilst Colossus is one of the best Intamins I've ridden. I think at a push, it has to be Inferno because it is the more consistent and reliable rides there. I always know I am going to get a good ride (if not outstanding) whilst Colossus can be hit and miss.

I would have to say Colossus.

This is because while I like inferno it has nothing on the original Nemesis (which does beat Colossus imo) and it's thrilling moments are seperated by fairly boring ones.

Also Colossus has my favourite part of the ride last - the five barrel rolls.

Nemesis Inferno. I just know that whenever I go on it I'm going to have a great, thrilling ride. The pre-lift section = awesome. The first loop and zero-g roll = awesome. The corkscrews = good. The helix = alright. I too often get the "urgh, is that it?" feeling after riding Inferno, but I am fully aware that it IS a short ride, and the forces and the fact it's inverted seem to make up for it in my opinion.

Now Colossus. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying it is an awful ride, but I cannot seem to go on it without receiving a serious headbashing. The loop is absolutely fine, but from the cobra roll it is just pure pain for me. As Mark said, Colossus is a bit hit and miss, yet even the 'better' rides are still quite painful. It's layout is fantastic, as is the interaction with other guests, yet I simply cannot enjoy a ride that hurts me as much as Colossus does. In addition I really hate the trains as they are a nightmare to get into and I don't find them that comfortable, whereas I have no issue with Inferno.

Taking all things into consideration, Inferno wins for me. Both rides have weaknesses but Inferno's saving grace is that I don't come off it with a pounding headache and burning ears. I know some people find the forces on Inferno a bit much and grey out, but I have never had this problem! If Colossus didn't hurt my head so much it would win because of it's awesome layout, the speed which it goes through all the elements, etc, but as I previously mentioned I just cannot enjoy a ride that causes me that much pain.

• 3 weeks later...

If it wasn't for the severe lack of leg room which always leads to me getting cramps and the occasional punches to the head I'd probably say Colossus.

There's nothing wrong with Inferno, to me. It's just a pleasant, thrilling ride. Nothing extreme but by far not the worst thrill Thorpe has to offer.