Best B&M Rollercoaster in the Uk  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you think is the best?

• Air
    • Nemesis
    • Nemesis Inferno
    • Oblivion
    • The Swarm

So what do you think is the best B&M Rollercoaster in the UK?

Is it

Air: The World's First Flying Coaster

Posted Image

Nemesis: Europe's First Inverted Coaster

Posted Image

Nemesis Inferno: The World's only Inverted Coaster to feature a set of Interlocking Corkscrews

Posted Image

Oblivion: The World's First Vertical Drop Coaster

Posted Image

Or our newest B&M...

THE SWARM: Europe's Tallest and Fastest B&M Wing Coaster

Posted Image

Vote!

1. Nemesis. One of the best rides in the world.

2. The Swarm. Fantastic ride and so much fun

3. Oblivion. Amazing ride. Deserves far more credit then it gets

4. Nemesis Inferno. A sequel rarely beats the original. Great ride in its own right though.

5, Air. Good ride but fundamentally flawed.

1. Nemesis - Love it, speed, inversions and an almighty roar!

2. Oblivion - Brilliant, love the drop (and it not having big queues!)

3. The Swarm - Great ride but it just doesn't beat the two above for me!

4. Nemesis Inferno - Also good just not as good as the original Nemesis :)

5. Air - Boring, always got a stupidly long queue and don't get much of a thrill out of it (Tend to avoid it)

1. Oblivion - Pure intimidation and thrill, it does what it's intended to do so well and offers a drop like no other, much love for Oblivion.

2. Nemesis Inferno - Possibly higher up my list because I rode this before Nemesis, got hyped up that Nemesis would be better and then thought it wasn't. Inferno is brilliant in the back right seat, everything from the great first drop to the snappiness of the inversions and final helixes, a great all-round coaster with a great theme and soundtrack.

3. The Swarm - Excellently themed, the 'twistyness' of The Swarm's inversions is something I love about the ride, the way the train goes through the Zero-G is a great sensation, as is the the final inline twist over the station.

4. Nemesis - Nemesis is a good ride ok... But I just don't find it as great as I expected it to be, it's not got the things about it which I like about most rollercoasters. :ninja:

5. Air - It's somewhat boring after riding it so many times (Maybe I'm being a little harsh here but it is in my opinion) and not really thrilling... Although the flying position is something cool and I look forward to trying other coasters which use that seating position.

(/ExtremelyControversialHeightsLovingLuke] :ph34r:

Air is good for what Air is, its one of those "does exactly what it says" rollercoasters, but many enthusiast don't just want a flying rollercoaster, they want a story, theming and to be thrilling, which the other four do so well.

That's why Air is so low on many enthusiast list but always a hit with the general public, hence the large queues. :)

I used to be a big Theme Park fan but just haven't been bothered to go to any really, Thorpe was about 4years ago, Alton twice in pat couple years but this is my opinion.

1: Air (Yes I did vote for it): It's fairly smooth and a unique experience, I enjoy it and the harness is comfy.

2: Oblivion: The drop is great nuff said.

3: Nemesis Inferno: Less harsh than Nemesis, that's all.

4: Nemesis: I easily get a headache on coasters nowadays and Nemesis is worse for that because it's not so smooth.

5: Swarm: Not ridden it simple as.

Tom.

1. Nemesis. Unbeatable.

2. The Swarm. A new ride the UK can be truly proud of.

3. Nemesis Inferno. The first 'big' rollercoaster I went on, still yet to deliver me a bad ride.

And now my thoughts are slightly cloudy...

4/5. Air/Oblivion. Whilst Air was hardly a life-changing experience I still think it's really good fun. Oblivion was also great, but after having read rave reviews about 'that' drop for about six years before actually riding it, it didn't quite deliver that special something I'd heard so much about. A shame because it's still a great ride in it's own right, it had just been burdened by so much expectation (Backed up because Air had a much lower reputation, and I found myself pleasantly surprised). It was only one day of riding (a misty, cold day in February at that), so I guess my view isn't quite set in stone yet and there is still hope. Towers anyone?

Technically Liam, Furius Baco is Europe's fastest winged coaster... ;) [/pedantic]

Anyways, my rankings:

1) The Swarm. Love everything about the ride and it sits firmly as my favourite ride to date.

2) Nemesis. Brilliant, brilliant ride. The location makes it so unique and it just has this 'feel' to it which makes it special. Only just pipped by Swarm in honesty.

3) Nemesis Inferno. Fantastic ride which flows really well. Great layout all the way through, and has a great mixture of force and elegance. Also love it when the the tunnel is full of mist and has all lights on.

4) Joint Oblivion and Air. Really difficult to separate the two. I do enjoy Oblivion, even if it is a one trick pony. When I first went on it in 2006, I guess you could say I was at the point of being scared - something which I don't think has happened to me on any other coaster since. I love the story and theming, but feel it lets itself down at the end and just needs something a little extra to finish it off. Air, on the other hand, is a good, solid ride. That's it; nothing special. I enjoy it, but it doesn't blow me away.

Perhaps worth noting that, with Air and Oblivion, there's nothing wrong with them, as they're ranked highly in my favourite coasters, but they're just not really that close to other three B&Ms in this case...

1) The Swarm. Amazing ride, I love the inverted drop (even though I thought I was going to hate it) and it delivers a great ride every time. The only downfall is the length of the ride, but that minor 'fault' does not significantly reduce my opinion of the ride.

2) Nemesis Inferno. Shock horror, I've rated Inferno above Nemesis! When I first rode Inferno I had an innocent mind, as in I had no idea what the ride would be like, and had no expectations whatsoever. The same, unfortunately, cannot be said for Nemesis. I love Inferno, it's a great, solid ride, and the only reason Swarm gets top vote is because I love the gliding feeling the ride delivers.

Now I'm totally unsure. I only rode Alton's B&M's in February this year, and I feel like I need to ride them more (in better weather too) in order to make a properly informed judgement. My last visit to Alton before February was in 1998, and I was 4, so there was no way I could have gone on any of the coasters then :P. I loved both Air and Oblivion, yet Nemesis was a let down for me. I'd heard so many positive, raving reviews about Nemesis, and it just didn't meet my expectations. That said, it is in no way a bad ride, I just feel like I don't like it as much as I potentially could have due to not having an innocent mind on my first ride.

My opinions may well change after a few more visits to Alton, but until then I rate Thorpe's B&M's above the other 3. It's quite close between Inferno and either Air or Oblivion, but as previously mentioned I feel like I need to re-ride Alton's B&M's before I rate them properly.

1) Nemesis- The only ride to make me grey out. Its aged really well and isn't the slky smooth B&M which is great as unlike Swarm or Air, Nemesis isn't meant to be a flight, it's a monster. Absolutely amazing and love being able to get many rides in ert, the best wake up call around.

2) The Swarm- By far the most hyped and anticipated coaster for a long time and lives up to the hype. It is so smooth. The first twist is insane then divin under a misty plane wing. The theming is amazing (bit sparse but still). Love the wing aspect as each seat offers a different experience. A huge throughput coaster that is really re-ridable is what Thorpe have been lacking until this season.

3) Nemesis Inferno- My first ever looping coaster. The theming was great back in its day with a load of mist in the volcano. It is really reliable and can eat up queues pretty well when the staff are on form. Love being able to walk all around the ride with close calls to spectators and it started Thorpe's 3 year coaster system.

4) Air- The last ride I had on it was really intense meaning it has pipped Oblivion. It's nice to have two contrasting coasters in one area and is lovely and relaxing. Nothing amazing or special when you've done other B&M flyers but great fun.

5) Oblivion- By far the best marketing campaing for a ride in the UK (shame SW7 hasn't lived up to it yet but there is still time). The sound of the cars plummeting into a misty hole is amazing. It is only last because it is so short and seems to be very neglected which is a real shame (and Alton lied, it's not vertical, it's 88 degrees).

1. The Swarm - Sitting either side of the track and the theming interaction makes this my favourite B&M.
2. Oblivion - The sheer thrill of going down the drop and the feeling in your stomach as you go down makes this an amazing ride - It would be in first place but it is too short.
3. Nemesis - I love this ride! The intensity is amazing and it doesn't lose it throughout the ride.
4. Air - While I like this ride it could be a lot better and faster.
5. Nemesis inferno - While I like this ride I feel that it could have been a lot better and it is a ride that I won't queue long for. I think that it is a better coaster than Air but I have ridden it too many times!

For me, Oblivion. Like I said in some other thread somewhere, no other coaster has ever taken my breath away before. I just wasn't expecting much and I was totally blown away!

Swarm comes second, it's just really fun. Then Inferno, then Air, then Nemesis. I did like Nemesis, but so many people built it up as being this amazing holy unbeatable experience that I was just left disappointed.

1. Air - Very creative layout, and I am a sucker for lovely bit of natural scenery.

2. Nemesis - Lovely layout, but overhyped in my opinion.

3. Oblivon - Short but packs a punch. Plus, if this built, we may not have many of todays coasters.

4. Swarm - Great ride, and lovely scenery. Just too short.

5. Nemesis Inferno - Fun ride, but lack of scenery on the left of the ride disappointed me.

I was fortunate enough to visit Towers last weekend (I'm about 5 hours away for those of you that don't know), so I got back on some of the rides for the first time since 2010. Nemesis ended up being shut as the pit flooded but it eventually reopened at the end of the day. Despite already having ridden it, everyone else in my group insisted on making air the last ride of the day as it is 'better'... DAFUQ?

Anyway, here is my list:

1) Nemesis- Forceful, fun and great themeing/atmosphere

2) Oblivion- A lot of tension is built up whilst waiting. I got a couple of rides on Sheikra earlier this year and I must say, I still think Oblivion beats it in the scare department.

3) The Swarm- It's different, and that first drop :wub:

4) Nemesis Inferno- Forceful, but does leave me light headed from time to time.

5) Air- Pretty dull IMO. Nothing on Manta and the crazyness of 'flying' wares off after the concrete tunnel...

And that is my list.

1 Nemesis - Well duh, it's Nemesis

=2 Swarm - I probably prefer Air as an actual ride (layout) and flying possition, I think it is perfection of the type

=2 Air - It's just a shame about its setting, the Swarms themeing and interaction push it ahead as an experience

=2 Oblivion - Is so different to the others it is incomparable, but the drop is one hell of a drop and with the original tension building q line vids such a complete package

5) Inferno - Dull, poor, waste of opportunity (when compared to the rides here - still superior to plenty of others)

1. Nemesis. By a mile. It beats the pants out of most other rollercoasters in Europe, let alone the UK.

2. Oblivion. Bit short... but it's got an amazing drop and the tunnel is one of those "OMG" moments.

And quite frankly, the other three, none of them do much for me. Inferno is fun, but I find lacks grunt. Air is just slow, although I do enjoy the sensation. Swarm has an amazing first drop but I find much of the ride a little bland. Probably 3. Inferno, 4. Swarm, 5. Air?

I didn't like Manta (Orlando) much either so I guess flyers aren't realy my scene.

1. Nemesis - 18 years old and still one of the finest and in my opinion, the most intense coaster this country has to offer.

2. Nemesis Inferno - Not quite the original Nemesis but seems to be getting better with age. Having the best rides I've ever had on it this season.

3. The Swarm - One of the best themed coasters in the country (if not *the* best) and that inverted first drop is just fantastic.

4. Oblivion - Awesome drop but the rest of the ride could've been so much more.

5. Air - Seems to be popular with the general public but like most enthusiasts, it does little for me.

I just don't get all of the fuss over Swarm. Sure, it's pleasant and the first drop is nice, along with some good theming here and there, but in all honesty it doesn't do much for me... I would take Inferno over it. The only UK B&M I would rank lower than Swarm would probably be Air.

I am of course grateful for another big B&M in the UK, of course... and I respect the fact that for many people it's such a high ranking coaster, but for me - not really.

1) Nemesis (Alton Towers)- This ride is insane, the speed and the theming make a great ride, its very intense :D

2) The Swarm- A unique experience, and wherever you sit you get a different experience on the ride. Unfortunately its too short.

3) Oblivion- The drop into the unknown is very intense but again its a short ride.

4) Air- It didn't appeal to me, It was quiet boring and not interesting but still it's better then Nemesis Inferno.

5) Nemesis Inferno- Absolutely hate this ride, the layout isn't great and the speed isn't there either. It's my worst B&M coaster I've ever ridden

1. The Swarm- Very good ride and fun to go on. LOVE IT! And great theming.

2. Oblivion- Amazing drop and quite intense.

3. Nemesis- An intense ride. Not as AMAZING as everyone says it is, but still a GREAT ride. Deffo better than Inferno.

4. Air- Very good ride but it's not as good as the top 3 and not enough speed

5. Nemesis Inferno- It always brings a smile to my face but it's mainly for non thrill seekers (so they should keep it). It's just for fun!

• 1 month later...

1) The Swarm - Pure class, amazing ride, what I would call perfection.

2) Oblivion - The drop is so good, and the tension build up in the queue is just brilliant

3) Nemesis - Good ride, I love the build up in speed, fantastically landscaped

4) Inferno/Air - Inferno tried to kill me, the first half of the ride was great, after the zero g it just.. goes, still have mixed feelings on Inferno

Air makes me feel uncomfy and even if it ride is good to look at, its just doesn't have that "something" the other B&M's in the Uk have