Best B&M Rollercoaster in the Uk  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you think is the best?

• Air
    • Nemesis
    • Nemesis Inferno
    • Oblivion
    • The Swarm

My ratings,

Nemesis 1st, a classic coaster that would still be a hit even if it was built 19 years later.

Swarm 2nd, impressive theming and unique first drop

Oblivion 3rd, the drop is impressive as well as the atmosphere and build up.

Inferno 4th, decent substitute to nemesis and an exciting ride. But not as original as other coasters and lacks story line.

Air 5th, pleasant interesting ride however gets unfomftable after a while.

• 1 month later...

1: Nemesis - Even after going to Florida on the monstrous B&M's over there, Nemesis is still my favourite (not just B&M, but favourite coaster altogether), as the landscaping and the way the layout was designed around it is so creative and gives a thrill like no other!

2: The Swarm - I love how smooth it is, and sitting on the 'wings' with the near misses is brilliant, and not forgetting the unique drop!

3: Nemesis Inferno - Just because of the name, don't see why people should keep comparing it to the original as they're going to be disappointed; doesn't mean it isn't a great coaster though, one that I'll happily go on again and again!

4: Oblivion - Such a rush going down the drop and through (hopefully) a tunnel full of mist; but only really thrilling to me though first thing in the morning (on ERT), definitely wakes me up!

5: Air - An enjoyable smooth ride, with a different experience, but just no where near as thrilling to deserve a higher place (and always worried about breaking down and getting cramp in my leg lol)!

1) Nemesis - Love it! It's themed well and I love the feeling of speeding past rocks and through tunnels.

2) Oblivion - The feeling in your stomach when the car is first released gets me every time! I also love the tension the queue videos build.

3) Nemesis Inferno - Not as good as Nemesis, however it is still fast, smooth and somewhat well themed.

4) The Swarm - I don't feel like a lot of the bits of themeing make sense? The ride is okay, I just think it could have benefited from a bit more length and intensity.

5) Air - This was the most disappointing ride I have ever been on! I didn't feel like I was flying and it was slow and boring IMO. The only decent bit was the final helix into the breaks for me.

1. Nemesis - you can travel all around the world, and go on B & Ms that dwarf Nemesis in size and scale, but they rarely match the sheer intensity of this classic. I don't make it to Towers super often, but it always amazes me just how good Nemesis is - the force it provides seems to defy the physics of it being a fairly small coaster in that hole. Amazing to look at as well, I can't think of another coaster anyway that has used to 'roar' of a coaster train to such effect. Very nostalgic for me as well - my first 'big' coaster (little did I know that it would still be my favourite), caused me to cry, as I was about to board with Tic-Tac boxes under my heels (I know, naughty naughty!), but I loved it and have never looked back.

I'm struggling to rank the next three - they all deliver but have fundamental flaws, so this order could change on any given day.

2. The Swarm - an exciting and original ride, which as others have said has provided Thorpe with a new level of coaster. It's just sooo short.

3. Air - fails to deliver in intensity but I really like what it does do - ie simulate flight. I find it quite serene and very fun. I suspect that if I went on some more modern flyers I would realise that Air 'failed' in some respects, but for the moment I really like it

4. Oblivion - another very nostalgic ride for me. 1998 was my first visit to AT, and Oblivion created this amazing atmosphere around it. Logic should say that it ought to have lost it's appeal by now - beyond vertical drops are commonplace - but there's still something wonderfully effective about that drop. Can't escape the fact that it is very much a one trick pony though.

And lastly,

5. Nemesis Inferno - to be honest, this ride doesn't do a huge amount for me anymore.. Ridden it too much, but I also think of it as the definition of the average 'big' coaster. It's exciting, has some good moments, but it's very unmemorable and unambitious. Having ridden plenty of B&M inverters, this just falls way short of what they're capable of. Look at Black Mamba - a similar scale - and see what Inferno lacks.

my first 'big' coaster (little did I know that it would still be my favourite), caused me to cry, as I was about to board with Tic-Tac boxes under my heels (I know, naughty naughty!), but I loved it and have never looked back.

well I'm pretty sure mine was Corkscrew because I think it had a 1.2m restriction?

but I remember crying as I was persuaded to go on nemesis, with napkins from the mc donalds (I think or it could have been burger king) in forbidden valley stuffed in my shoes instead to make sure I was tall enough... and loved it, and still is my favourite ride ever!

• 1 year later...

1.Oblivion it's Perfect in every way

2.Nemesis Inferno the interesting layout along with how forceful it is and being my first B&M

3.Nemesis Good but not as good as her sister

4.The Swarm despite being so re rideable it should be a tiny bit longer

5.Air good does what it should do after lie to fly part the ride is super

My views on this have changed somewhat since 2012! (When I last posted in this topic).

1. Nemesis - Brilliant coaster, very forceful and the surroundings compliment the ride experience. I find it very frustrating that they close off the back two rows when it rains (the best time to ride!)

2. The Swarm - I really like the ride, it has good pacing and seems to be picking up more force this season. Also, the theming is fantastic. However, I despise the backwards rows because they cause horrendous congestion with the queueline (main queue moves slower then it's all bunched up in the station), and also because they mean that I can't ride it in the back row properly. If they got rid of "Brave it Backwards" then I would prefer it to Nemesis.

3. Nemesis Inferno - I didn't used to rate this very highly but I'm sure it has picked up a serious amount of force over the last few years!

4. Oblivion - Really like the sensation of free-falling the drop has, but it's a shame that nothing else happens after it.

5. Air - Doesn't do much for me unless it's running particularly well, in which case I find it average at best. It just lacks any thrill, and it's supposed to be based around theming and landscaping but there isn't any!

It does however have the flying element which is the only reason I rate it at all.

1. Nemesis- Top class theming, the blood river never gets old, full on ride and so much better than Inferno. Only downside I have is the awful noise it makes as it makes its way up the chain lift at the start and the noisy general ride experience but given its age I'll let that go!

2.Oblivion: I used to be terrified of this ride but it is now probably my second favourite ride at Alton. Another good theme, smooth ride. Only negative its over too quick.

3. The Swarm- Was extremely impressed by the theming and is generally a good ride. The only wing rider I have been on so can't really make any comparisons with others.

4. Nemesis Inferno- One of the better rides at Thorpe but falls in 4th due to being the poorer relation to its bigger brother at Alton. Does ride smoother but less intense than original Nemesis.

5. Air- Was great the first time you went on it but subsequent rides not so much. Too slow and poorly themed. Love the station music though, very relaxing.

On a side note my favourite non U.K B&M has to be Montu at Busch Gardens Tampa. Just fell in love with that one, could ride it all day.

1 Nemesis - Well duh, it's Nemesis

=2 Swarm - I probably prefer Air as an actual ride (layout) and flying possition, I think it is perfection of the type

=2 Air - It's just a shame about its setting, the Swarms themeing and interaction push it ahead as an experience

=2 Oblivion - Is so different to the others it is incomparable, but the drop is one hell of a drop and with the original tension building q line vids such a complete package

5) Inferno - Dull, poor, waste of opportunity (when compared to the rides here - still superior to plenty of others)

Since then both Swarm and NI have improved greatly, they both run so well now. So...

1 Nemesis - Well duh, it's Nemesis

2 Swarm - Broken in to a surprisingly forceful and satisfying ride. Shame about the back rows still.

=3 Air - It's just a shame about its setting, the Swarms themeing and interaction push it ahead as an experience

=3 Oblivion - Is so different to the others it is incomparable, but the drop is one hell of a drop and with the original tension building q line vids such a complete package

=3 Inferno - Dull layout and waste of opportunity in many ways, but the speed it's developed in recent years has helped hugely.

I hate to be geeky but it depends where you sit on the ride for me. But here goes.

1st Nemesis at the Back. Ridden front and back one straight after the other and I prefer the experience at the back. As does my other half.

= 2nd Swarm far front left. I love the way swarm balances intensity and smoothness, and sitting front left on the ride seems to be the best balance.

=2nd Nemesis Inferno front seat. In the wet. With theme smoke working. Inferno has never been my favourite ride until today with these conditions. Ridden the back as well which has a bit of a kick.

4th Oblivion. The Ronseal Coaster. No messing. No pretensions. Just tension, a brilliant drop ... Into a great big hole. The Antithesis to the big American coasters.

5th Air. A great gateway coaster. I believe it works as a concept, is popular with the general public, and does give you the sense of flight. Problem is it hurts my neck to look forward.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

1) Nemesis - just wow.  Love everything about Nemmy - whats not to like?

2) Swarm - As said before, could be a tad longer but ride experience and theming is fab

3) Oblivion - fab ride

4) Air - love this but does give me neck ache a tad - very comfortable restraints like the other B&Ms

5) Nemesis Inferno - I like it but for me the inversions are too closed packed together and for some bizarre reason it often gives me a stitch and/or sets off my asthma - I do love the mist (when it's working that is)!  Oh and the theme tune :)

Matt - ours are the same apart from the last 2.  I want to like Inferno more, I really do - maybe my body can't cope with the forces!

Back onto the Swarm - I've noticed this year it seems a lot more forceful (Swarm also as well as Inferno occasionally sets off my asthma which is annoying- I've also greyed out a couple of times aswell) - I think the ride experience of Swarm will only get better - if they could just maybe add a bit more track to make the ride a bit longer that would be great