Cedar Point

Cedar Point in not theming all their rides shocker.

Will no doubt be the right answer... B&M's in America just seem to lack a piece of quality on a rather regular basis... Enjoyable, but, nothing that's not been done before or is actually unique...

Whilst it isn't a one of a kind experience, is that such a terrible thing? Cedar Point in the past have only gone for 'standout' records like height and speed, but whilst those are the rides you go for, they haven't got as many you'd want to 'stay' for. I don't think it matters at all whether it's been done before, for Cedar Point, this looks like a great investment. That image of the entrance view already looks spectacular, and gives it it's own little unique twist; flying through the keyhole inversions would give you a great feeling of being 'part' of the whole experience. That image would stay with you. Regardless of whether it's not themed or not particularly 'special', it's incredibly imposing and I think it adds a great deal more depth to Cedar Point's MUSTBECONSTANTLYINYOURFACE line-up than for example, a 0-100 in 0.8 seconds, 26 inverting jumbo-strata-man-eating-7D-plasma-powered-top-spin... coaster.

Cedar Point in not theming all their rides shocker.

Whilst it isn't a one of a kind experience, is that such a terrible thing? Cedar Point in the past have only gone for 'standout' records like height and speed, but whilst those are the rides you go for, they haven't got as many you'd want to 'stay' for. I don't think it matters at all whether it's been done before, for Cedar Point, this looks like a great investment. That image of the entrance view already looks spectacular, and gives it it's own little unique twist; flying through the keyhole inversions would give you a great feeling of being 'part' of the whole experience. That image would stay with you. Regardless of whether it's not themed or not particularly 'special', it's incredibly imposing and I think it adds a great deal more depth to Cedar Point's MUSTBECONSTANTLYINYOURFACE line-up than for example, a 0-100 in 0.8 seconds, 26 inverting jumbo-strata-man-eating-7D-plasma-powered-top-spin... coaster.

I think Benin, more then most on TPM can comment on Cedar Point considering he has been to the park in the past. I can only judge by pictures and what I experienced in Florida which is what I'm doing. Besides, apart from Dragster, Millennium Force and at a push Mean Streak, Cedar Point have never been a park that goes "LOOK AT THE SIZE OF MY DROPS". Thats always been Magic Mountains job.

>Not constantly in your face
>First thing you see upon entering the park

It's also one of the most over-rated parks ever, but as Mark said, aside from Millenium Force and Dragster, there's nothing else that is really big and brash (or anything bar the usual America style)... 2 rides out of... 15 odd now? Raptor, Mantis, Magnum are all big rides but show something more substanial than that, Gatekeeper fits into this category of big rides, but does that mean there should be more effort that two giant pieces of bare concrete (something Smiler gets hate for interestingly)...

Maverick is spectacular to watch (and to some degree ride, but then Intamin restraints </3) as well, but I just like my rides to have more substance than the EXTREME cookie cutter experience you get at Cedar Fair parks... At least Six Flags theme some of their rides (N.B. this only applies to DC rides)...

>Not constantly in your face

>First thing you see upon entering the park

It's also one of the most over-rated parks ever, but as Mark said, aside from Millenium Force and Dragster, there's nothing else that is really big and brash (or anything bar the usual America style)... 2 rides out of... 15 odd now? Raptor, Mantis, Magnum are all big rides but show something more substanial than that, Gatekeeper fits into this category of big rides, but does that mean there should be more effort that two giant pieces of bare concrete (something Smiler gets hate for interestingly)...

Maverick is spectacular to watch (and to some degree ride, but then Intamin restraints </3) as well, but I just like my rides to have more substance than the EXTREME cookie cutter experience you get at Cedar Fair parks... At least Six Flags theme some of their rides (N.B. this only applies to DC rides)...

Oh it's definitely in your face, but it's a new way of doing it for them. The entrance view is something that would stick in your mind, it looks iconic, as opposed to something just stuck in a corner or in the middle of a path somewhere. I'd put Magnum and Wicked Twister in the first category, and probably Mean Streak. Magnum might offer something else experience-wise, but stylistically it is just a big and brash hyper coaster. This is probably just down to our own personal way of categorising. I don't really see the 'cookie cutter' experience that you're seeing with Gatekeeper though, unless I've misunderstood? Some other rides, definitely, but the keyhole inversions mean it can't really be in that category for me. It's got purpose.

Also, you'll have to ignore the Alvey part of this video, but there's plenty of good off-ride parts so...

Cookie Cutter is more towards the rather atypical layouts you see in America... Whilst the WingRider is a new type, this doesn't really do anything new...

Yes the entrance thing is nice, but at the same time, they could've done more to it instead of two plain thin towers... It's so typically bland of Cedar Fair to create a good idea but put zero effort into it...

Shame really...

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Cedar point has been closed for the last 2 days because of a lack of water. Any other theme parks done this before or is this another cedar point world record.

I thought the CP Facebook page said that it was a Water Mains Break and they deemed it a health and safety hazard so were forced to close the park.

"Early this morning, the City of Sandusky experienced a water main break on the main line that supplies water to Cedar Point. The City of Sandusky is currently working to repair the system. Without our normal water supply, and due to safety concerns, the park is unable to open today. All guest tickets will be honored on future dates this season. Please visit cedarpoint.com for the latest updates." - CP Facebook

• 1 month later...

Amazing day on the park. Longest queue was 30 minutes for millennium force and all the rest being below 15 minutes. Didn't manage top thrill dragster as after the first thunder storm it had some issue which meant the test trains kept rolling back. Whilst queuing for it a 2nd thunder storm showed up which kept it closed until the park closed. Have to say that an intamin blitz at Thorpe would the best investment they could ever do as maverick is just amazing. Millennium force however would be the best ride ive been on.

As I have always thought and cedar point has proven the theme adds nothing to the ride other than a massive cost to the park. Millenium force is easily the best ride ive been on by a long way. All of frontier town in my opinion is pretty well themed so why cedar point gets a bad name for themeing is a bit odd. Yes some of it has no themeing at all but in no way does it make it bad. I can easily see how it wins best park, compared to any merlin park its infintly better in almost every way.

Theme does add to a ride though, Blue Fire proves that when compared to it's unthemed clones... Black Mamba is a very good example too of how theming can truly make a ride something better (not that I rate the ride personally)...

It's all about the quality of the theming, rather than the quantity...