Fright Nights 2012

JackR

I wouldn't want the mess that was EP's Horror Nights 2011 anywhere in the UK. Generally, the event at EP is good (I would go so far as to say it was incredible in the early years) - but last year the event was a complete mess.

Thankfully, the event at EP is being massively improved for 2012.

However, I agree - more roaming actors after dark would be a great thing - but I get the impression budgets for FN are down, with it closing an hour earlier now.

I must've been extremely lucky or high on something, but when I went on my first ever FN trip to Thorpe (2011 season), I distinctly recall roaming actors a-plenty. They were brilliant and were most common around the Stealth plaza all the way over to Calypso Quay, including the Tidal Wave and Storm Surge areas... (didn't visit Lost City/Saw Island in the darker hours - was all about night rides on Inferno and Stealth y'all B) ).

But yeah basically why does everyone complain about no raoming actors? Is it because they're not consistent? They were fantastic when I was there - groups of psychotic clowns and harlequin puppet-looking things banging on bins and running through queue lines shrieking - really helped the atmosphere! I remember watching a couple of women who clearly had phobias of clowns launch themselves onto their friends in the Stealth photo booth when they saw a guy sprinting at the from the other end of the plaza - was hilarious!

Don't worry Sid, you weren't going mad, roaming actors were around a plentiful last season. They were mainly clowns, and they were regular seen with a birthday cake celebrating the 10th birthday of FN. Whether they were a one off for the 10th birthday thing or not is a different matter - hopefully they'll return as they were amazing. I noticed many lurking around The Asylum's exit, which gave them an extra fright! They weren't all necessarily scaring everyone all the time, but they really did make a very good atmosphere. There were also actors around the Experiment 10 queue line and entrance to the arena, mainly 'employees' doing 'surveys', and there was the odd hazmat suit actor lurking around, though they're not particular roaming actors I guess..

Some photos of the actors:

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Both of the above from Total Thorpe Park).

And a couple of photos featuring me, as a plug for my 'beautiful' face... ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

(This one was my particular favourite - he had such a high pitch voice :'))

Ah, but there were. :P

A few clowns wandering round the place is what I saw, though I didn't see the birthday cake. I think they stayed around Asylum and Calypso Quay area actually. They were dressed differently to the ones above - they were wearing ripped masks and did act a little bit more creepy than the ones I saw later in the event.

Posted Image

(My beautiful face returns again! ;) )

I guess the birthday thing played a part (clowns make appearances at birthday parties, etc.) and the fact that clowns are a phobia for many people. :P

Not really fussed as to the reason the reason, they really did add to the atmosphere and were a true highlight of last season's Fright Nights for me!

(PS - no harm in using the edit button, your comment would still be seen! :) )

(PS - no harm in using the edit button, your comment would still be seen! :) )

Your trusty Mod friend is here to help. B) Merrrrrrrrge.

And yeah I agree - I loved the way the clowns interacted with the guests. There were considerably fewer guests gone 9pm so it was great to see so many actors doing so much more than simply running up to you from nowhere, pulling a funny face and making stupid noises and then disappearing again. Some of them stalked guests and/or wanted their hands held and to be guided round the park because they were lost. :lol:

running through queue lines shrieking

Lol pretty clever if they were just queue jumpers in discuise.

I went on the preview night and the only actors I saw were the "staff" outside EXP 10 shame. Although the fact that the park was completely empty acted as a creepy atmosphere in itself If there were actors hiding it would be AMAZING

Lol pretty clever if they were just queue jumpers in discuise.

I went on the preview night and the only actors I saw were the "staff" outside EXP 10 shame. Although the fact that the park was completely empty acted as a creepy atmosphere in itself If there were actors hiding it would be AMAZING

So did I, but there were clowns...added to the freaky atmosphere!

Morning thrillseekers! Loads of you are asking about Fright Nights - we've got some surprises up our sleeve for you, and we'll be releasing more information soon, so keep an eye out here! And you can already buy your tickets online - just select the dates 12-14 Oct, 19-21 Oct or 26 Oct - 3 Nov and grab yours for amazing discounted prizes!

Straight from Thorpe's Facebook page. I wonder what this surprise is? :o

When I Fright Night tickets avaiable to annual pass holders (not premuim holders) as I keep checking back on the TP website and it keeps saying come back for further information on ticket purchases.....

Any idea when I should have a look again?

Also I've heard that FN is MEGA busy and I'm talking like 2 hour queues for all the mazes etc? obviously halloween night itself will be extremeley busy but if I were to get an earlier date or later would it be a little less busy?

Thanks guys! Am off to TP tomorrow (supposidly raining most of the - new experience for me!) and again in 2 weeks! am using my AP to the max!

Em x

Hey Em :P

When Thorpe Park have released the mazes ect. they will probably release the info for AP holders! The past few years it has cost £5 for Thorpe Park Annual Passes and standard merlin passes!

If thorpe park do a AP Preview day; then you should definately go then! The Q Times range from 0 mins - 15 mins all day!

But if they dont, then I advise you to go when it is not a school holiday or weekend :)

Hope this helps; Mark

But if they dont, then I advise you to go when it is not a school holiday or weekend :)

The trouble is, this leaves the first (and maybe second?) Friday of FN, due to dates they choose.

Try and do the AP day if one arises, which is on the Thursday before te event starts, or the first weekend - this is when FN will be the quietest. :)

Thanks guys - I definately want to go! Was so upset when Saw Alive shut but I managed to get on it once and experience it but so many of my friends never made it!

I didn't realise there was an AP FN before it was opened to general public?

For the AP holders - can you take a plus one? AS I'm on the only person out of my friends to have an AP would I Have to come alone?!

So I have to go alone like a billy no mates.... not really worth going then unless I force a friend to buy an annual pass..... lol but I got mine with all the nectar points I had so didn't have to pay a penny really..... !

Thats pants! But I guess its the whole point of AP preview night!

If my memory is correct, they made last years AP Fright Nights preview an actual Fright Night date meaning non pass holders could go as well as pass holders. If they announce a date for the preview day (as it has yet to be confirmed it will be happening) just select a general ticket on Thorpes website for the same date as come the evening they don't check that you have a pass.

Really hope they do a preview night again as it was so quiet last year at times it felt like you weren't ment to be there making the atmosphere great, especially with the clowns stalking you :P

Last year the annual pass preview wasnt really a preview day as such, it was just the only day of the event where standard / thorpe annual pass holders were let in for free, the park was still open as normal to guests. Thing is your friend would have to pay full price to get in!

Also I've heard that FN is MEGA busy and I'm talking like 2 hour queues for all the mazes etc? obviously halloween night itself will be extremeley busy but if I were to get an earlier date or later would it be a little less busy?

Em x

2010 Fright Nights I visited on I think the first Saturday (might have been second). The park was quiet with queues of no and had done all main rides by 3pm and then had rerides and maze. At around 9:30pm got on Stealth 7 times in a row, Didn't even have to walk round the queue line, straight through the gate between the onload and offload platform.

Last year I also went on the first saturday and was busier but still ok. Longest ride queue around 45 mins and longest maze was experiment 10 at 70 mins. Curse was walkon and Seven fairly short later on in evening. Didnt go on Asylum but was around 45 mins from what I remember.

Hope that helps a little.

So TPM's FB say that there's a new maze for 2012.

Let speculation begin - will Hellgate's old location be used again, will we see an old maze kick the bucket or a new location altogether?

Personally I hope they finally lay The Curse to rest - darn awful maze. Swarm-themed maze would be nice as well..

EDIT: It appears I can't read, as it's actually a new 'horror attraction'. Maybe Thorpe will have another go at a "scare zone"...