Fright Nights 2012

JackR

Compared to Towers' pricing, it's not bad, but...

Charging for a maze? Just no; I'm against the whole idea of it (including at Alton). I prefer the concept of 'one ticket for all', especially when the cost is so high, and Thorpe charge £5 for AP holders.

Seems a bit weird that they'd confirm details such as those over the phone when they've yet to be announced. I really just can't believe this happening, and until an official announcement comes, I won't believe it..

This is what I said;

ME: I am phoneing up to enquire about the fright night on 19th october. can I book that over the phone with you?

TP: Booking details for the event will be released soon, it is going to be exciting as there is a new horror attraction coming your way.

ME: I know I'm very excited about this, they are releasing details about this today arent they?

TP: Yes these details will be released shortely, I have been told that there will be a £3 entrance fee to this attraction.

ME: Oh right, Why is there an extra charge as the prices for fright nights already are increased?

TP: It is because the maze includes a world first element.

ME: Oh Right

TP: Is there anything else we can help you with?

ME: Yea can you confirm the family and friend discount price for that day using a merlin annual pass?

TP: Thorpe Park have not eyt decided whether or not to put the family and friend discount in place for this event. But there final decition will be made and released in due course.

ME: Ok, Thank you.

Hope this gives a bit of outline as to how the conversation went ... to me it just doesnt seem fair as an annual pass holder! He also mentioned that the other mazes as usual would be included in the price.

Sounds awesome; I'm intrigued! :D

Using cutting edge techniques never seen before at THORPE PARK, you will experience the suffocating and claustrophobic terror of having your head confined and your sight removed by a hessian body bag as you face the unknown horrors of the after-life... Experience suffocating terror as you lay trapped in your own body, surrounded by the stench of fear with only your guilt for company.

New for 2012 maze The Passing certainly talks a good game! Shame that it is indeed a £3 upcharge attraction...

interesting, so this year the park has a theme? I like that quite a bit.

but this Passing maze sounds a bit much for me. being put in a body bag?? I really could not do that, just the thought scares me. Has anyone heard of anything like this before, because I haven't.

I haven't either! Have to say my initial thoughts are the same, it seems a bit too much. Being trapped in a room for probably less than a minute in Experiment 10 was bad enough, being trapped in a body bag for god knows how long?! Da fuq?! :lol:

Thorpe park have a new maze. All the information is up

http://thorpepark.com/frightnights/

They are running:

Saw Alive

Experiment 10

The Asylum

The Curse

The Passing #NEW

Also, I have lost all hope in thorpe park because as well as the £5 charge to get in they are charging £3 for the rising.

#EDIT I didnt realise there was a page 13 lol

Saw Alive will be opening at 11am and The Passing at 3pm as that's when the first time slot is. It really does sound intense and most definately a worlds first. I am really hoping for park wide theming and more roaming actors as the park is being transformed into a prison like facility. Guess we'll know all the answers in just under a month.

Do you know, I wouldn't mind the £3 charge but two things annoy me.

1. Having to pre book??? Sorry but this is very inconvenient as I won't know what time I want to go in until I am there tbh,

2. It mentions paying £3 for "early bird" tickets, meaning that others will be more.

On the bright side though, the maze looks fantastic!

Seems a bit weird that they'd confirm details such as those over the phone when they've yet to be announced. I really just can't believe this happening, and until an official announcement comes, I won't believe it..

Well that's shut me up, hasn't it? :lol:

Now this all sounds very exciting, doesn't it?! Last year, Experiment 10 begun to push the boundaries a bit, and stopped Thorpe's traditional conga line through a corridor approach. This year, I think we all wanted to see that continue with this new attraction, and I think it's safe to say we got what we wanted..

With regards to the body bag thing, it is only over the head. The site says a "hessian body bag", so it will be similar to this I would assume:

Posted Image

I expect some will recognise these as the style of bags used to cover people's heads before (and during when) they are hung.

The whole idea of this is nothing new however. At a theme park Halloween event, possibly, but in scare attractions, definitely not. Anyone remember http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/9563-new-over-18s-scare-attraction-this-june/]THIS[/url] event? I have read reviews about the attraction (I think it was on TTF, not sure), and they definitely used this or a very similar technique.

The story to this maze sounds brilliant as well. I definitely think we are in for a case of something special, and I think a £3 charge is justifiable (going back on what I said earlier, funnily enough!). I wouldn't be surprised if we're in for another Experiment 10, in that people are split up as well. The main focus seems to be on the beginning of the maze (the head over the bag), when the whole maze is actually about passing into the afterlife and seeking salvation.

But now, I've got a few slightly negative thoughts...

-Like all of Thorpe's mazes, The Passing is recommended for those over 12. Now, maybe it's just me, but when I was 12, there was no way I'd have coped with the likes of Experiment 10 (being separated from my group), and I could barely cope with the standard conga line maze concept. I can't imagine there's many 12 year old who are perhaps able to cope with such extremities, unless of course it's toned down. I really do think Thorpe could (and should) increase the minimum recommended age to at least 15, simply so they have more lee-way, even if that hasn't stopped them pushing boundaries.

-£3 is the early bird price, so no doubt it's going to go up to about £5/6 for on the day prices.

-Could this end up being another Experiment 10, in that the first half of the maze is extreme and brilliant, and the second half is average-okay? I do hope and expect Thorpe have learnt from Experiment 10's first season and improved it, and also learnt how to do similar attractions (like this one), this could still happen. Fingers crossed though.

I'm also happy to see the park-wide 'theme / story'; something I've always felt the park could do. The prison theme ties in nicely with The Passing, which is no doubt intentional, and it certainly looks like we're in for roaming actors and the like again - fantastic stuff! Perhaps a little early to say, but well done Thorpe for setting up what looks to be a brilliant event which they should quite nicely deliver upon!

I'm really gutted at the distance I'll be from Thorpe for this event. Depending on early reviews, I may just have to consider the 5 hour round journey just for this attraction; it sounds that tempting..