Fright Nights 2012

JackR

Well, that wasn't what I was expecting...

The way I read about the hessian body bag was that it would be put on your head and you would see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. You would then be guided around for a bit, executed and such, and then left to explore the rest of the maze without the bag, but just in small groups with practically no light.

The way those pictures seem is that the body bag is on your head for much longer, though you have some ability to see through it.

Interesting, as I say - not what I was expecting. I do like how your 'crime' is on your bag though, which could lead to some potential personal interaction, and it does seem you go through in very small groups. Can't wait to try this maze out..

Also, this has been posted on ScareTour's Facebook page:

Thorpe Park Fright Nights this year will be the first time it has one over-riding theme across the whole park. Dare you enter Thorpe Park Penitentiary? As well as subtle changes to the main THORPE PARK Official website, we understand that rides and attractions will fit into the overall storyline with new visuals and audio across the park.

Basically confirmation of what we've wanted / expected - park wide theme!

A Press Release from the park:

Concerned Park officials at the nation’s Thrill Capital, THORPE PARK, were right to be worried that their newest Fright Nights attraction, The Passing, will be too extreme for the public to handle when it opens this week. When Park bosses called upon a top psychologist for advice, his findings proved that the live action horror maze, where thrill-seekers will experience the suffocating terror of having their head confined by a claustrophobic hood, had inadvertently produced an atmosphere of sensory deprivation, a state that has been known to cause disturbing side-effects such as hallucinations, extreme anxiety, bizarre thoughts and suggestibility.

For the first time at THORPE PARK, visitors to The Passing will be faced with a manipulation of their senses; a claustrophobic hood will restrict their sight and sound, a specially devised ‘smell of fear’ will be pumped into the attraction and with limited vision, every surface visitors place their hands on will result in a heightened sense of touch. In his research, Dr Lewis found that through this compromising of the senses, stimulation is cut off from sensory receptors in the brain and in the absence of information, the brain begins to create thoughts of its own resulting in hallucinations and extreme anxiety in vulnerable individuals.

Working with the Park, Dr Lewis has suggested a course of changes that will limit the amount of negative effects the maze will have on its visitors, from introducing a safe word to making tweaks to when and where different senses are manipulated.

Dr Lewis said: “The Passing could be one of the most extreme experiences that many people will go through as the manipulation of the senses causes the brain to misidentify the source of its own thoughts. I’ve suggested introducing a safe word to protect the more vulnerable, however, for many, while the emotions could well be intense, the short time period of the attraction and the fact that the individual knows that nothing bad will actually occur, will result in an exciting and thrilling experience.”

Mike Vallis, Divisional Director of THORPE PARK, said: “At THORPE PARK we know our guests want us to push them to the limits of terror when they come to Fright Nights, however with the uniqueness of the techniques we are using in The Passing, we were worried that we had gone one step too far which is why we consulted with Dr Lewis. We have taken on-board his feedback and will be tweaking the attraction to ensure extreme horror doesn’t compromise safety when we begin Fright Nights on Friday.”

With five live action horror mazes and some of Europe’s most extreme rides and attractions available to ride long into the dead of night, make sure you book your tickets for Fright Nights seven days in advance to save up to 40% at THORPEPARK.com.

Ah, I love these things at times! :wub:

Short-term sessions of sensory deprivation are described as relaxing and conducive to meditation; however, extended or forced sensory deprivation can result in extreme anxiety, hallucinations,[2]bizarre thoughts, and depression

This is a short extract from the Wikipedia Page for 'sensory deprivation'. I don't think this is just something that Thorpe have made up for the sake of publicity you know. Dr Lewis on the other hand... I wonder if the safety word will also come into play? I'm really starting to think that this maze may just be pretty extreme now.

It's less than TWO DAYS until Fright Nights arrive at THORPE PARK and the Governor of THORPE PARK Penitentiary has arrived! Rumour has it that he's got a twisted sense of humour, and inmates who are brave enough to beat him at his own game may be handsomely rewarded.....

From the park's Facebook page.

This park-wide theme sounds better and better by the day. Sounds like there could be some form of 'show' / high level interactivity going on!

Can't wait to go. :D

I don't think anyone else has pointed it out, but the first press photo, it looks like it's not a completely solid bag, it looks like at the front of it, it's some sort of mesh material, which looks like it wouldn't completely remove all vision, but just lessen it so you would still be able to see some details.

LOL does this mean the parks just having one actor then?

I doubt that; they're really pushing the idea a lot.

The text on the rotating tunnel was there for Hellgate.... Hopefully the bags over the head is not just a cover up of the maze still being Hellgate.

I know there was writing on the tunnel, but I thought it was a lot more 'colourful' as well; blood red colours and the like? But likewise - I do hope that it doesn't end up feeling like a second-hand Hellgate.

''

It's less than TWO DAYS until Fright Nights arrive at THORPE PARK and the Governor of THORPE PARK Penitentiary has arrived! Rumour has it that he's got a twisted sense of humour, and inmates who are brave enough to beat him at his own game may be handsomely rewarded.....'' This was posted on the Facebook page! Sound interesting! your thoughts?