Fright Nights 2012

JackR

Right, so a more in depth review of my experiences with Experiment 10 and The Passing. This may read a bit like a trip report, but it's pretty much a way of summing up the entire Fright Nights experience. The maze sections have spoilers, of course!

Experiment 10

Following the brilliance of this last year, I was really looking forward to it again this year. Having done it 4 time last year, I knew that for me it wasn't a one trick pony, and that the effect always worked. The ending was a bit weak and needed some work doing, but overall, it was a strong maze. Being one of only two mazes we were really concerned about (the other being The Passing, booked for quarter past 4), we decided to head here before 3 so we wouldn't have that long to wait.

We arrived at ten-to 3, with a queue already inside the arena (presumably, the gates had already been opened at half 2 for everyone to go in?). It can't be too bad we thought, probably 30-45 minutes, so we decided it was no big issue, so stuck it out. 3 o'clock came, and nothing happened. About 10 past 3 came, and the standard announcements from last year of 'Experiment 10 is now in progress' and 'No smoking inside the facility' were played - hooray, it's finally opened..not. Following those quiet announcements (which were the only ones of the evening that I heard from the queue), there was another 10 to 15 minutes before anything started to happen, with the queue only moving when people had had enough and decided to leave. It got to the point where I was ready to leave at half 3 if nothing happened. The queue moved through slowly, and about 5-10 minutes later, someone behind us asked how long the queue was from where they were, to which the response was "about 45 minutes", in a confident tone. We decided that though this was a lot more then we were wanting to wait, since we had already waited about 45-50 minutes, that we'd stay in the queue a grin and bare it.

The ever-slowly moving queue plodded along, and by about 5:20, we were finally near the front. That's right, at this point, we had queue 2 and a half hours for this blooming maze, despite the fact we got there before it even opened. I genuinely cannot remember the last time I queue over 90 minutes for something, though it was probably back in 2006 for Stealth opening weekend, front row, where I queued about 2 and a quarter hours. Considering people behind us were told that a queue which took 100 minutes would only take 45 minutes, it is in my opinion, ridiculous. I understand that the queues are going to be new to staff, and it's hard to judge exactly, but when you are that far out, it is just ridiculous. Couple this in with no announcements, no apologises for the late opening or anything, it just is not right in my opinion.

So, by the time we were near the front, it starts to become apparent why the queue is taking a long time. I presume you can guess the culprit - that's right, Fastrack. The hugely long Fastrack line was having large numbers sent through at any one period. For example, when I was near the front, I counted 30 (yep, THIRTY, which is more than a whole group who go in the maze) Fastrack let through with not one person from the main queue let through. I don't give two hoots if Fastrack is good for people or whatever, a balance must be reached where those who pay for the extra service get what they pay for, without affecting the main queue. This balance was just not reached. How it can be justified that such a large number of people is let through from the Fastrack queue does not make sense to me. I can't comment on whether it was oversold, by I think there needs to be a much stricter cap put on Fastrack sales, because quite frankly, it is ludicrous.

So, now time to actually review the maze..

The first scene was rather rushed, no doubt to get people through, and just doesn't have as much impact with a larger group. The decontamination chamber, a room which was once dimly lit and had a sinister tone about it now is lit up like daylight. There's less smoke now as well it seems, and it just feels like they've weakened that effect. Also, the fact that the hazmat suits are gone confuses me. Not being able to see a face is a lot scarier than being able to see part of a face. It creates mystery and leaves you to your imagination. Being able to see part of the face / any form of skin makes me feel as though what's happening isn't as harmful as it's being made out to be as well. A good part of the maze ruined.

Now, onto the cupboards / individual rooms. They've got rid of the audio in there, so it's just silent. Mixed feelings about this, but it lacks something now, as the screams and bangs really added a sense of insecurity that those around you were petrified. Also, being locked in there with someone else, the silence is a little less unnerving in my opinion. One good change, however, was how the actor shone a light through the peeping hole, attraction our attention, then grabbed me through the hole (which I think is a new feature?); really did catch me off guard! One thing I didn't know last year though was that it was the same actor who puts you who takes you out of the rooms. Also, the fact that the person putting people in the rooms wasn't wearing a hazmat suit made me feel a little more secure - those suits were one of the more dominating aspects of the maze. It's a real shame they're not there any more - I do hope there's a real reason behind that other than cost or something stupid like that.

So, the middle of the maze is also a bit naff as well. Lacks actors (I only saw ONE in this section) and lacks audio. In general, it's just a lot weaker than last year, and doesn't really have any scares. The strobe lighting section seems to have changed a bit this year as well, what with the mirror of pointlessness and going on/off a lot weaker than last year. Then there was a bit more walking and nothing happening, apart from loads of people grouping together and being confused, and then an actor directing people into a room. She said something about 'This is what Experiment 10 is really about' or something like that; didn't really hear her. By the time we got in there (we were one of the last people in our group), there was a video playing on the TV screen, with a doctor facing the screen and a patient with a scroll saw walking towards him. She kills him, blood splatters on the screen and a little shoot of water comes out, but misses half the people. The actor starts to panic a little bit, and the patient starts to saw around the TV (there's a nice effect where the surrounding on the TV lights up, but it's nothing special really) and the actor starts shouting 'LET ME OUT' and then after a while, turns to us and says 'Get out. No, really, run!' at which point to patient jumps out at the side of the TV (no logic considering she has sawed the bottom and other side on screen...) and a saw noise is made. It scares some people and others - like myself - are just disappointed in the predictableness of this. The fact that the scroll saw is plastic / rubber is a bit of a letdown as well to a degree, as to those who notice it, it really spoils it. The fact that this maze continues to try and do 'an Asylum' with its grand finale disappoints me; last season, they had the incredibly loud monstrous noise, this season, a fake saw in an overly predictable fashion. Why not try and have a more original / different ending? Have a good two or three actors at the end blocking people on the way out, trying to 'take them away', stopping them whilst others around them freely escape. It would continue the panic as well as the isolation feeling that the maze is so good for. Instead, they're trying to force it into doing something it can't. Though I said the ending last year was a little weak and could do with improving, the park successfully ruined the ending (and half the maze it felt), and have created something which decreases throughput it seems, which in turn has ruined the entirety of the attraction.

Another thing I have noticed is the fact that there were a lack of actors. There was one in the reception area, and one in the decontamination room. I assume two actors for the isolation rooms (maybe three, don't know how they deal with the right hand side and its tunnel). Then there was one in the middle section, and two in the end (staff and patient). Six actors for this maze is ridiculous; I'm sorry.

I don't have much else to say with regards to Experiment 10. It has been successfully ruined, with the maze itself feeling like it can't cope with demand, the ending being silly, predictable and not in line with the story (though, I guess if some people literally run out of it, then it will be kept..), a lack of audio and tone. A real shame, a real disappointment, and hardly worth a 20 minute wait, let alone a 2 and a half hour one...

5/10

The Passing

So, we had missed our slot by some time, but after speaking to a member of management, we were told to just go and explain the situation and we should be let in fine. So, our ticket was checked at the entrance to the queue, and nothing was said, despite the fact it was coming up to two hours past our slot. Unfortunately, it seems the idea of a time slot or Fastrack only maze has not worked; there was a quoted 45 minute queue, which was closer to 55 minutes. Again, a total muck up here by the park in my opinion - unless there's a VERY valid reason for missing your slot, you shouldn't be allowed in. However, the way it operated was you could go in after your time slot, just not before (as opposed to the up to 15 minutes after your time slot stated on the ticket). This means people in theory could book a ticket for half 3, yet use it at 8pm with no issues? I'm sorry, but it's silly and the idea needs a rethink. Though I hate to compare, Alton Towers did very well with the time slots on the mazes, and Thorpe could perhaps learn a bit from how they operated it. I understand this is the first time they've done such a thing, but they need to make sure that it works, and the system just did not work. The fact that the actual entrance to the queue is so far away from all the signs pointing to The Passing makes me think that this was not planned by Thorpe, and something had gone wrong - I just hope they learn from any mistakes made quickly, as many people were annoyed with how the queuing system panned out.

Anyone, after queuing and getting our wristband (I assume the 'tagging' idea mentioned), we were batched into a group of five; of which five young boys, oldest must have been thirteen, youngest ten? We had the safety announcement, and as soon as the bag on your head was mentioned, on said 'No, I'm claustrophobic, I can't do that.' and walked off. The others were all very nervous and worried, though some were giving it mouth 'Oh, don't wimp out' and all that went on. Standing in the old Hellgate tunnel and given the nice speech about how we're criminals and been sentenced to death is nice, though the idea of having your photo taken just for the extra money is so cheap, and just is pointless. Even though they try to tie it in with the maze by saying 'Now have a photo taken of your last moments', it just doesn't work and should be scrapped. At this point, the rest of the young boys left as well, too afraid it seems, though the actor stayed in role very well.

I was glad that once we moved on, the bags were actually put on our heads. I worried that it would just be 'Here's a bag, make yourself comfortable', but it wasn't. The actor wordlessly and with a stern look on her face put the bags on our heads, and dragging out the process as long as possible. Unfortunately, I had something in front of me, which I now think was one of the speakers, though it didn't feel like one. It almost felt like it was meant to go round my mouth? I really don't know, but it was a bit of a nuisance more than anything, though it did restrict my vision further - a bit of good and bad I guess! One thing I did not like, however, was the cheap looking vinyl-like wallpaper; it just felt a bit of a cheat. Even if there were just a couple of things 'sticking out', it wouldn't be as bad, but it just felt so half-hearted, perhaps even rushed. We moved on to the next scene, which I think was meant to be the video scene I have now read about, though there was an actor blocking our way for some reason. Whether it was because of another group still in there or that it wasn't working at the time, I don't know, but it is a shame, as from what I've heard of it, it sounds interesting and sets up the maze nicely.

We moved along to the tunnels, where a hooded actor - possibly Death - guided the two in front of us into one tunnel. I went to follow, when I was stopped and moved to the adjacent one. It also turns out I was the only one in this tunnel out of my whole group, which shocked me a little when I found out after the maze. Anyway, I went along the tunnel and expected something similar to Experiment 10's one; straight bit, little dip, out (maybe not necessarily like that exactly, but pretty much the same thing). I crawled a bit, then banged my head - now this shocked me. For that split second, I feared I was trapped, taken a wrong direction or something, and there was no way for me to go. However, I found the turning and carried on. There were copious little dips and turns, and each time I was asking myself 'So do I get up now?' only to have my head stopped by the ceiling. I was worried; I could not see in front of me, I didn't know how long this was going on for and I didn't even know if I was going the right way. Eventually, I felt a cold surface and knew that it must be time to get up.

At this point, there was two of us now to tackle the maze - such a small group is worrying, as you can really get picked on. Having the speaker or whatever it was in my way meant I struggled to see, along with the bag itself which - in darkness - was hard to see through as well, and the actors took advantage of the bag on the head really well. Scares would come from literally out of nowhere. The trouble with the scares is that they are still quite samey - actors hiding, shouting and more leading to 'jumps', than 'scares'. Having a bag on your head should leave you questioning yourself, and it should lead to a psychological experience a lot; somehow the actors need to further scare you with the psychological side more - make you continually second guess yourself as to where you are, what you are doing and so forth. The spinning tunnel was a good touch, with all the words written on and such, and was surprisingly disorientating for me. I quite liked the final scene with your bag on your head; the actor was very good, and even though we caught up with the other two nearly, he did very well in confusing us, blocking our way and touching to scare us. I think I might have ended up in the wrong place, as I went through some curtains, walked into a wall nearly a hit a step / seat, to which the actor moved me whilst saying 'This was you piece of scum'. And that was nearly it. We were told to take off our bags by two staff members, to which I found out my crime was an arsonist, and presented with our certificates of death. I was a bit underwhelmed by the length if I'm honest, and responded with 'Was that it?'.

Anyone, we moved on through the UV section, through some curtains and into a pitch black room. There was nowhere to go; were we in the wrong place? I shouted out asking which was do we go, only for an actor to jump out seconds later - it confused me more than scared me, but I was certainly caught off guard. None of us knew where to go or what to do, and then a door seemingly opened, but I couldn't leave as someone had a hold of my ankle. A couple of seconds later, I was allowed to go, caught up with the others in our group, and was greeted by the photo booth - brilliant thing to do after death...

My main issues with the maze are the beginning with the vinyl wallpaper bits and the story line being inconsistent. Maybe missing the video did more harm than it should have done, but what does the maze signify? When do I die? How have I been executed? What happens after I die? From my experience, the whole maze experience itself is the execution, where in the moments before dying, all the evil is flashing before me, and I'm contained in a bag helpless. Then, we're presented with the certificate of death, and the final scene is meant to show us that we're tormented after death as well. But with the video, it almost seems like the bag goes on your head, then life flashes before our eyes, then we go through the tunnels to signify being buried, the maze is death / the afterlife, and after that, who knows? However, my point simply is that it needs to be clearer in the story, give a stronger indication as to when we die and what happens afterwards. Oh, and get rid of the photo bit and perhaps give a bit more at the ending.

Is it worth the £3? Yes and no; it depends on your definition of worth. In terms of quality, there's better experiences that can be had in my honest, but it's still good, and with some work, would be great. It's a different experience, and is a lot more personal. The nice little mementos (wristbands and certificate) are good as well. So, worth it really, but if you're expecting the additional cost to lead to a much scarier maze than a free one, then you may need a readjustment of expectations. All in all, a good maze that needs some work.

6.5/10

Just a couple of other bits. Serious lack of FN theming - can't say I saw any at all apart from the posters of the criminals and on the island by the bridge. Quite disappointing. Audio was alright, though the park-wide loop with messages from the Governor needed to be longer. The roaming actors were good from what I saw of them too.

With regards to Experiment 10 and the Fastrack situation, I decided to go to Guest Services about it (lack of communication about queuing and opening time, too much Fastrack) and pretty much, nothing was written down, we were told 'It shouldn't be like that', and given Priority Passes with no expiry date as an apology. I fear that nothing will come from the complaint, and that the resolution (giving of PP) just makes the issues worse. What I found amusing was at the same time, there was another complaint at the same time about Fastrack - many people in the main queue for attractions do get annoyed with it - it needs serious rethinking. (Also, another random point, anyone able to explain why some people were able to use the Priority Queue for The Passing without being disabled? Definitely saw a group of 4 or 5 using tickets, looked identical to Fastrack ones, being used there... :wacko: )

A real shame, a real disappointment, and hardly worth a 20 minute wait, let alone a 2 and a half hour one...

Interesting Josh - I felt that the new ending to E10 was (whilst "done before" with Asylum) a definite improvement - last year had very little to get people running out the exit. Had some very "in-your-face" actors during my runthrough as well!

Is it worth the £3? Yes and no...

Equally, I thought that there was nothing about The Passing that deemed it worth being an upcharge attraction. I couldn't see that it was any more expensive to build/run than any of the other mazes in Thorpe's lineup, so why charge other than pure profiteering? Waiting an hour to have our go having paid £3 for the privilege just added insult to injury. Thought that the restricted vision was a novel idea though, that if better expolited could make for a decent maze.

I enjoyed Fright Nights this year, although mourned the loss of that extra hour 9pm - 10pm to get some night riding in. My full review with photos is, as ever, on Total Thorpe Park: http://www.totalthor...right2012.shtml.

I guess the difference in opinion on Experiment 10 shows how scare mazes differ each and every time. On my go, as said, there were 6 actors (of which I only encountered 5) and none of them were very 'in your face' or did anything which created a sense of fear, unless they utilised the maze and the scenery itself (for example, the hand through the door wall). The ending just seemed to go against the maze and story line, in that it groups everyone together again, and was predictable. Sometimes predictability isn't always a bad thing, but in this case, it was for me. Whilst I was one who said the ending needing improving last year, I feel it was much better than this, as it kept people separated / in small groups and created a chance for more scares. It's good of the park to work on the feedback, but it's something which has just led to a maze which is now worse off. However, the fact that people actually run and scream out of it shows that it's doing it's job, scaring people, which I guess is a good thing. Personally though, it just doesn't work and unfortunately takes away from the maze.

As for The Passing, I agree about how the £3 charge along with a long queue is ridiculous and it needs sorting, and that the charge doesn't necessarily reflect a much higher quality of maze. However, I think that the fact the park are doing something which is meant to lead to very small groups going through the maze, I believe the general idea is to get 3-4 people to group together after the tunnels, the maze is going to have a lower throughput. I've always thought that having the charge and restriction the number of people who can go of it meant the lower throughput wouldn't be an issue, but this seems to not be the case at the moment. Hopefully with some work, the issue of queuing for it can be sorted out, and the maze's kinks can be ironed away to create a good, solid attraction which is worth the additional charge.

On a different note, nice pictures and reviews there Ben - always enjoy reading your FN reviews and comparing them to previous season's ones!

Right then, my review of the mazes I went in today:

- The Asylum
Absoloutley brilliant! There were a lot more props, more scenes and more actors. Some scenes also had fixed lighting (not strobes) so you could see what was going on. (But don't worry, the strobes were still there as well and as good as ever!) The actors were really getting into the role, some were even climbing on top of the wire mesh fencing!
The chainsaw finale was also brilliant, with the corridor appearing empty until we heard the sound of a chainsaw from behind us!

- Experiment 10
Very dissapointing. It was brilliant last year, but this year there were no gas masks, no suits and a lot less scares. The gas room was too light and short, nothing happened in the seperating rooms (unlike last year with the sounds etc) and we were rushed through the rest of the maze in about 40 seconds (we were the last group of the day I think.)
That was completley appauling, we didn't even see the "new twist" in the finale room, all we saw was a glance of a big TV screen because we were rushed through it in a few seconds.

- The Passing
Also found this dissapointing. The crawling through tunnels was good, but the rest of the maze lacked any kind of scare for me, there weren't many actors and to be honest I prefered Hellgate by a lot!
While some parts of this were quite good and clever (such as the pre-show and a few parts of the maze), I felt that it was otherwise a waste of time and money.

Maze count:
The Asylum x2
Experiment 10 x1
The Passing x1

For a good quality maze from start to finish, I would reccomend The Asylum.
(Cannot comment on Curse or Saw alive this year because I didn't go in them - but I will be in Half term when I go to Fright nights again.)

I did experiment 10 yesterday I counted 12 Actors and about 15 in the passing I found experiment 10 the best out of the two I did which were The Passing and Experiment 10 I would say scare factor for ex 10 for me was 8/10 mainly the cell bit I was on my own for a good minute or so and I have a minor case of claustrophobia so it really added to the scare factor,The Passing was a Great maze for what it was It had scare factor but it went after the spinning tunnel, were it was hellgate from then on the fake ending was a good touch The passing 6/10 (strangely I felt more secure with the Bag over my head) Only thing that scared me was how the actors touched me about 3 touched my neck and the tunnel rest of it was okay not the best but still okay for thorpe parks line up

Went to Fright Nights yesterday and what can I say...

After boyotting the event last year because of the failure that was 2010 fright nights we decided to go again. We got on park at about 12:20...headed straight over the THE SWARM with a 45 minute queue. This was the first time I had seen the flame effect and the LED eyes in action and it was awesome. We managed front row on the LHS.

After the Swarm we headed over to Pizza Hut which was absolutely heaving...

We then had a behind the scenes tour of the Asylum which was the absolute highlight of the day...great tour. Following the tour we were the first in the Asylum much to the distaste of the people queuing ages for it.

We then went over to Experiment 10, we queued a good 90 mins for this due to a technical fault...Great maze...best in the park or so I thoguht...

Our time to die was 17:00. We had heard mixed reviews...but needed to se it for ourselves...

EPIC. AMAZING. TERRIFING.

The passing is a must do maze...worth the £3.

We then managed nemesis twice and the swarm front row a further 2 times!

I will be putting up my full overview/opinion of each maze at the end of Fright Nights. I want to give each maze another couple of goes before I make my final verdict.

I think I despised The Passing so much because I was expecting something so much better. I found the lack of actors, the length and how flimsy the bags were a let down. I must say however, the right tunnel was pitch black and you actually couldn't see a thing. Really effective at building up tension because you have no clue where you are! The scares to begin with were great. Constantly people jumping out at you and the impact scares just kept on coming. After that though the maze went downhill, by the time I got to the 'fake ending' I felt like everything was low budget and rushed. I want to give The Passing another go though and I just hope that the actors have adapted to their surroundings to compensate for the lack of theming and short length.

I really hope they improve throughput for these mazes for the 3rd November, when I go, because I don't want to take all night doing these, especially since I'm going with one friend who's never done them before, and one who WON'T do them, so I still want to do plenty of rides.

And I'd feel really bad if I got the Freaky Fastrack because I know how much hell it causes the regular queue... *conflicted cry*

As for the "THE PASSING" reviews, you all seem to take in the cost of the maze as a factor? It seems really biased, maybe you could rate the maze without thinking of the queues, and then add a total "experience" review

3rd November is a Saturday so I'm assuming that will be fairly busy.

And I'd feel really bad if I got the Freaky Fastrack because I know how much hell it causes the regular queue... *conflicted cry*

It's not your fault if the park oversell them! For the benefit of you and your non-mazegoing friend I'd say buy a Freaky Fastrack :)

Well its funny you should say that. Last Saturday was chaos, the queue to buy fastrack was cattlepenning just past Mr Monkeys Banana Ride. There was only one Fastrack Kiosk open, the dome remained closed all day. So unless you wanted to queue about 2 hours to buy a ticket thats supposed to cut your queuing time, you were better off to just spend that 2 hours queuing for a Ride/Attraction.

It was terrible. I Queued 2 hours for Inferno (never again), it was broad daylight entering the queue and then pitch black exiting the ride. Ugh

If you head down to Fright Nights tomorrow you can try out Halo 4!

Taken from Thorpe Parks Facebook Page:

We’ve got some amazing news to share thanks to our friends at Xbox! Come to Fright Nights and be one of the first to play the epic new Halo 4 [PEGI 16] game – BEFORE worldwide release on November 6th!! Get down to the Park from tomorrow to play, and watch this space to find out how you can WIN an Xbox 360 console and Halo 4 bundle!

Posted Image

If you head down to Fright Nights tomorrow you can try out Halo 4!

Taken from Thorpe Parks Facebook Page:

We’ve got some amazing news to share thanks to our friends at Xbox! Come to Fright Nights and be one of the first to play the epic new Halo 4 [PEGI 16] game – BEFORE worldwide release on November 6th!! Get down to the Park from tomorrow to play, and watch this space to find out how you can WIN an Xbox 360 console and Halo 4 bundle!

My brother will love this :P Must tell him now, he's going on Saturday.