2013 Changes

daboywunda

I swear on those points, one said 5 inversions... Am I being thick, cos I swear there are only 4...

The tilt inclined loop counts as an inversion although it doesn't seem like one, just like the overbanked turn on saw except that isn't counted as an inversion- hard to tell what is an inversion and what is not because on that inclined loop you do not go upside down!

"The ride contains a series of twists and turns which range from between 30.6 and 20.2 metres in height. There are 4 inversions in total."

Taken from total thorpe park

EDIT:

Remember this: :P

Adam Kehoe asked:

Q. Will The Swarm ever be released backwards to give thrill riders a more terrifying experience as they face war?

A. One of the most thrilling elements of THE SWARM is the deliberate close proximity of the ride to the various near miss elements around the track guests wont truly know they are far enough away until theyve safely made it past! Running the train backwards would means these near misses wouldnt be seen until the guests had travelled beyond them, and the ride would therefore actually be less scary. Numerous components on the train would also have to be modified, making it very technically challenging.

I'm actually pretty excited about going on The Swarm backwards, yeah It's a bit gimmicky ... but It's definitely not enough to pull guests through the gates.

X retheme would be call... X has had its day and as much as everyone hates to admit it, it will never go back to the way it was, that ended years ago, the club/music theme on X would be awesome I think! I remember at Thorpe Blast '08 meet (Good times ;)) They had music on it then and it was loads of fun! Personally I think that'd be better than how it has been in recent years. But hey maybe I'm just their target market (who some of you love to hate)

Adam Kehoe asked:

Q. Will The Swarm ever be released backwards to give thrill riders a more terrifying experience as they face war?

A. One of the most thrilling elements of THE SWARM is the deliberate close proximity of the ride to the various near miss elements around the track guests wont truly know they are far enough away until theyve safely made it past! Running the train backwards would means these near misses wouldnt be seen until the guests had travelled beyond them, and the ride would therefore actually be less scary. Numerous components on the train would also have to be modified, making it very technically challenging.

#Exposed

I wonder what the actual technicalities of the changing of the 2 back rows consist of?

I would assume B&M would need to be in contact with the park or the ones who modify the trains. I always thought B&M disliked backwards though...and what with X being backwards this seems like a complete waste to me.

The Swarm can be turned backwards because of the very design of the wing rider. The seats are suspended from the central chassis, right? Even then it isn't as easy as just swapping a few seats around. But the seats on Oblivion are built into the shuttle in rows, so significant modifications to the cars and station would be needed. It wouldn't be comfortable falling down the drop either, since the force would push you into your restraint rather than the seat.

Also, backwards Oblivion would be the height of pointless gimmickery anyway. It would ruin... everything... for the sake of being able to see behind you as you drop. "Don't look up"? What?

Backwards Swarm sounds rather fun, to be honest. A random idea, the type of pointless 8-year old's daydream that you would find suggested on the internet, but they seem to know what they are doing. If it wasn't practical and safe then they would not being going through with it; they have probable consulted B&M about it. I don't mind the redundancy of the interactive theming items, as they would still be partially effective seeing them fly around and away from you as you travel backwards.

I hope they take this opportunity to further improve the Swarm in general. I know they were gradually bringing in more props and theme objects, but it still felt rather inconsistent theme-wise with big gaps of emptiness and an obvious lack of landscaping. If they could properly programme the flame, sound effects and water sprays then the rhythm of the ride could be fantastic.

Wouldn't really be much point in turning Oblivion backwards as the whole idea of "Don't Look Down" wouldn't be visible or effective, still the same could be said about The Swarm's near misses etc. I'm still going for the Ministry of Sound re theme of X: No Way out to be mentioned soon!

Yeah, the whole point of the swarm is near misses and you ain't gunna be seeing them :P

Freefalling downwards whilst staring up at the sky, the track speeds away from beneath you and as you enter the hole darkness closes in all around you.

Mmm, The back row of Oblivion backwards sounds good.

I don't know I just have this slow motion vision of it being great although I can't deny that the 'don't look down' theme wouldn't fit anymore. But you say that as if turning the back two rows on The Swarm backwards makes any sense either? I'm keen for backwards B&M; don't knock it until you try it.