2013 Changes

daboywunda

Thorpe are aware what we think and they read these forums. I personally think we'll be getting a re-theme for this year with new trains, going forward and a lowered restriction and maybe a new paint job as the maximum.

Maybe 3-5 years later, XNWO will be replaced. I'd really like an indoor rollercoaster where XNWO and the Arena is and because of legislation, the queue can't be indoors anymore, which I never liked in the first place because it always felt claustrophobic.

I'm interested as to what this re-theme will be...

To be honest, I don't particularly think that X had a 'theme' per se the past couple of seasons. more a style.

We certainly didn't have the computer virus thing going on, nor did it feel like we were in any way 'trapped'. But there wasn't really much to suggest it had a rave theme to it either. Really, it was just a ride if complete randomness, but was taken seriously. With a retheme, it needs to be turned into a ride where it's clear it's meant to be random, not serious and a laugh, and no doubt it would be better received.

As a side note, X has been moved to the 'Thrilling and Fun' section of the full ride listing section of the website. Getting ready for a change of page sometime soon?

Are you just scrolling over the 'Rides' bit on the top bar? As they haven't changed it there yet; they have here - http://www.thorpepark.com/rides/full-ride-listing.aspx

All in all, yeah it probably was never an 'Extreme Thrill' in recent years, though no doubt for it's first 7 or so years it was still pretty big. I guess the park want all their 1.4m attractions to be classed as extreme though? :P

EDIT: Also noticed that the mini description has changed from 'The ride that takes no prisoners' to 'The ultimate ride challenge for thrill seekers in the making'. Certainly points towards a lower height restriction and a form of 'step up' ride!

If X No Way Out is indeed turned forwards this year... Would that mean that on the second MCBR, when it naughtily rolls forwards back down the track - stops - then reverses again, it will now be rolling backwards down the track? So it would still have a brief moment of moving backwards - although only a few feet rather than the whole ride.

Alternatively, they could reprogramme the computers to ignore the break runs and just ride straight through them - that would greatly improve the pace but potentially make the ride too short. They could just send you round twice to make up for the short length - like the Runaway Train! He he...

Alternatively, they could reprogramme the computers to ignore the break runs and just ride straight through them - that would greatly improve the pace but potentially make the ride too short.

This would also decrease throughput as well, wouldn't it? I think X could get a maximum of 4 or 5 trains on at any one time, and be getting a (theoretical) throughput of around 1000. Ignoring the break runs would probably cut the number of trains, and even by making the actual cirtcuit shorter, surely reduce the throughput. Not something I'd want them to do tbh.

Plus, the random stopping and starting of X is great and adds to the experience. If they splash enough money into this, I'm sure they could add something to make it a bit more exciting too.

If X is rethemed to an acceptable level what will we all complain about next year (Lack of a Topspin anyone ;) )

I will be very happy for it to have a lower height restriction and be changed if it is done well. Thorpe need to (and may have) realised that kids do still visit and aren't quite 1.4 metres so they shouldn't be forgotten about.

Just to worry people, the only other ride on the 'Full Ride Listing' that uses the word 'ultimate' in its little description is Storm Surge and we all know how 'ultimate' that is.

Reading a bit to much into it now aswell but the use of 'challenge' makes this seem like it won't be anything to do with MoS/MTV but I am probably reading into the use of these words too much.

I'm not sure what to believe these days. Personally, I think X:\ is a great ride, not the best - but turning the seats around is a mistake. It's unique; backwards, indoors, in the dark - how many of those do you see these days?

I've seen many closed season rumours over the years, and a lot of it just turns out to be online hype. It seems to me the majority of the members of theme park forums have some sort of obsession with something changing for the upcoming year, and they talk about it so much that it infects everyone else, and they refuse to believe that it won't be the same as the previous year.

I'm with Fred to be honest - if the height limit is lowered then shorter (and younger) people will be able to ride more. This means Thorpe could then begin introducing more rides that families could also enjoy, thus increasing the number of potential customers.

But what is the point? They have worked flat out to change their target audience over the past decade. I can't see it being a massive crowd puller, "Come to Thorpe Park with your child as they can ride X No Way Out and then go home..?"

It's fairly difficult to exaplain what I mean here, in short, there are that few rides in the park with a low height restriction and over the years, families have been pushed away to the likes of Chessington, so lowering the height restriction will make very little impact as hardly any people under 1.4 visit the park (as there is no point). Maybe I was a bit harsh, it can only be a good thing I suppose. If you look into the reason for the change in height restriction I reckon it was fairly simple - New trains allow shorter people to ride = "Might aswell lower the height restriction then"

http://www.thorpepark.com/rides/full-ride-listing.aspx

Going back to here- it really does seem that X is being rethemed and we will have the trains turned forwards! Has anyone noticed that on this page they have also changed all the ride descriptions like the swarm one has been changed adding on 'now brave it backwards' on the end! Slammer also used to be 'brave the full-throttle rotating freefall experience' but is now ' get slammed on our human sky swat!' I don't know if there is a reason for these changes but I sense something fishy going on ;)

Also saw the ride

However just looking at X I have noticed that X is now 'the ultimate challenge for thrill seekers in the making' after it used to be 'the ride that takes no prisoners' this is definately showing something about X, my guess is a lowering in height restriction and a retheme :)

My main thing is though, are thorpe trying to re-orientate around families like they used to?