2013 Changes

daboywunda

Tis a balance however. The business obviously relies on decent, speedy and happy staff to ensure guests have a good day out and will return - they cannot simply find enough staff for a short period of time to work these hours which are decent enough.

I remember a good old fright nights year when it was majority agency and staffing was awful, and a year when they had like no staff after 7pm. I've equally worked times when no matter how many recruitment events and assessment centres they had, noone was actually good enough to employ. Difficulties with minimum wage, short term contracts I suppose!

THORPE PARK UPDATE

X now has no smoke effects due to a asthma attack on Friday. I found this out from one of the rode ops.

The Crash Pad is making a rather large profit already and all staff have been told that The Crash Pad is a trial for a new Lakeside hotel that will be build for the 2015 season.

All queue boards are fully working with main ones by nemesis inferno and near the dome! Another one shall soon be installed near saw!

And finally...

Storm surge was shut all afternoon due to one to the water supply being cut off. Engineers were working on it till closing time!

That is odd as Thorpe use smoke effects which are harmless to asthmatics; they told us this during the Experiment 10 tour last year, so presumably it's the same for smoke effects on rides? They said that what can cause people to have attacks is because they panic when they see the smoke.

Having said that, 1) Have Thorpe updated the entrance board yet? and 2) Does it mention the smoke effects - well I would assume the new one would, and infact, even the old one as that used to have smoke effects (I think, never rode it back in its older days). Also perhaps they should point out that the smoke doesn't affect asthmatics on the board :P

And yeah as TopsyTurvy said, they can't just take smoke effects off because of that - that's what warnings are for! It's almost like saying they're going to close the tall rides because people with a fear of heights had panic attacks :lol:

Years ago smoke machines used to be oil burning machines would affect Asthma, a few years ago a legisltation was put in place to replace all oil burning machines with a new oil free machine which is just as good as the old ones, better for the enviroment and people. Asthma people are unaffected by this type of machine, I should know, work at a Theatre & a Theme Park which uses them!

• 1 month later...

Not sure where this should go but I suppose it is a change for 2013.

I know a few people have been wandering if Bar 360 remains open after park hours for non Crash Pad guests and the answer is yes.

Bar 360 and The Dome are now open until 11pm every day! So you can stay on, relax and have a drink after the rides have closed.

This is taken from the opening times page on Thorpe's website and I haven't seen it before. Makes sense really if you've already got it open for Crash Pad guests.

Not sure where this should go but I suppose it is a change for 2013.

I know a few people have been wandering if Bar 360 remains open after park hours for non Crash Pad guests and the answer is yes.

This is taken from the opening times page on Thorpe's website and I haven't seen it before. Makes sense really if you've already got it open for Crash Pad guests.

Great idea for Thorpe to do this. Instead of trying to push people out the door, let them chill out with a meal and a drink. Good move by the park here.

Great idea for Thorpe to do this. Instead of trying to push people out the door, let them chill out with a meal and a drink. Good move by the park here.

More parks need to do this in general, although Thorpe's layout helps it organise this in a happier fashion than say Chessie or Towers...

Positive move from Thorpe...