The Crash Pad

Confuzzled

I guess if the dome stays open it would equal the offerings of Altons hotel? Food / Bar / Arcade? Just not all on site.

Thorpes also open later more often with their club nights which are open till 3am, with very little public transport at that time I can see these being popular then.

I guess we will see, and hope there successful enough for them to justify going ahead with the full plans for hotel.

In season, as in when the park is open - the following are available in the evenings at AT Resort:

- 2, 3 or 4 restaurants dependent on number of guests staying

- 2 or 3 bars dependent on number of guests staying

- Pirate Bill show in ATH for kids

- Vocalist/live band show in ATH in evening

- Family disco on Splash

- Spa open till 8:30pm

- Golf (closing times vary)

- Water Park (closing times vary)

Thorpe is in no way going to be able to match anywhere near that. The best, surely, would be the bar in the dome and the bar alone?!

I agree, thorpe wont match it, but then how many guests can the alton hotel sleep compared?

With 117 bedrooms the Bar 360 is probably big enough to facilitate guests, although I suspect most would leave the site and go into Staines. I get the feeling their obviously not to sure if they can warrant the investment in a hotel which would obviously be way more expensive than this. By the sounds of it they only plan to trial it a year then go full steam ahead and build the hotel at the end of 2013.

Right, I've had a nose through the plans, and if I'm honest, I think some people have been very quick to judge with this.

First thing first. Thorpe are wanting to add this Snoozebox for three reasons:

-Delays in construction of the main hotel.

-"The current economic climate".

-To determine the success of a hotel at Thorpe.

The proposed coaster on Island E was one of two locations, with the second being Island A (next to Swarm). It seems much more likely, and sensible, to use Island A before E, as Sid said, but just in case people fear this could ruin potential development on the island, it won't. The plans repeatedly state that the Snoozebox will not "prejudice the coaster's development" and that the long term plan for the spot is for a major ride / similar usage.

However, one thing I notice is that it says "The coaster on Area E now may not be built until 2016". This, to a degree, concerns me - as it could be implying that is the "2015" coaster (the plans do put 2012 and 2015 in speech marks when talking about them..), if it was planned for Island E, may now not be built until 2016, and thus not open until 2017? Unless Thorpe have some VERY big plans for Island A which they wouldn't be able to get granted for the 2015 coaster / under the approved MTDP, then we can't really see them waiting an extra 2 years to add a new coaster, can we? Of course, it would be nicer to see a coaster on that island than a temporary hotel, but it seems that at this stage, we would either see a temporary hotel or nothing occupy the space for the next few years anyway.

As for the look, one thing which I think people forget in general about Island E is the size - it is very big. The actual Snoozebox is to be on the part of the island furthest away from any part of the park currently opened. Being only 7-9m in height (I think), it won't look too intrusive. Granted, it won't blend in, but hopefully it should only really be part of the background and won't draw attention to itself. Having a boardwalk connect it to the bridge will probably be the thing that draws the most attention to it. What I find quite humorous, in a way, is how people are quite happy to say that the marquee on park (which is more in the way of the park in general than this will be) is really no problem at all (as discussed shortly after Swarm opened), yet are moaning about how the appearance of this will turn out to be. Big white tent - fine, large, shipping container-like hotel - not fine. Strange really when you think about it..

I still wonder about this, though. They've had problems with the hotel (what exactly, is not specified) and are feeling the need to test the water with the idea. After so long of planning for a hotel, are Thorpe having cold feet about the idea? Have they thought that having a thrill park aimed at 16-30 year old may not lend itself to having a hotel at this stage? Is money holding them back? All of these are completely plausible, and have been said by fans for a while now. Another thing I find interesting is the date on these plans - 17th August. Unless I'm mistaken, it's very soon to be seeing these plans online? The plans for Storm Surge for example were drawn up in April 2010, and weren't submitted until July (and then the queue line was later changed). So, for a park to submit plans so soon after they were dated is, in my opinion, unusual. Is it just a case of they'd redesigned the plans at the last minute, but had been happy with it for a long time, or is this a bit rushed? I've heard for a long time that Thorpe wanted to get a hotel for 2013, and the plans do mention about how this enables them to push forward their long time plans of overnight stays and make the park open for longer, without necessarily keeping the rides open for longer as well.

So yeah, very much on the fence about these plans. They're certainly a surprise and do seem a bit quick and rushed in a way, though it does help the park develop, create more jobs and give them a chance to prove to themselves a hotel is the right direction. Even if this has been quickly shot down, this should be a good thing for the park, though it does seem a bit risky.

EDIT: Having just read the above comments, the plans state about keeping the dome open for guests, such as the Bar 360. I guess they will try and get added entertainment in for the evenings as well. I do agree that there will not be a lot to do however, especially as the room are pretty much a 'bare necessity' style.

Certainly not my cup of tea, but hey, what does it matter to me. I have no intention in staying in them. Cool ideas for some places and events, but Thorpe meh? Look a bit cheap from the outside. Still whatever, they are only temporary.

If that's the route they want to go down, then so be it.

Personally I don't think they deserve the title of Resort until they actually build a hotel of their own.

I also reckon the rooms would only be about £100 for 4. I can see this being marketed as a crash pad and a crash pad alone.

Agree with this, can see them being pretty popular with the club nights which seem to sell out every time and being open till 3AM limits public transport options for those drinking.

Well I fail to see how this is cheaper for the park. Not all the revenue from these hotels is going to go straight back to the park. The 2012 Silverstone Grand Priz rented 200 of these rooms, and paid £15M...

I appreciate Josh's post but the fact of the matter is this is simply a pretty poor decision and will (quite literally) make the park look stupid. Who's going to even know that these are accommodation units from the outside? The guests that arrive at the park and just see what look to be office-blocks impeding the view of the park probably won't even know they're visitor-accessible.

The only way in and out of the hotel is to walk across the boardwalk which connects the reception area to the bridge. Presumably the reception area will be staffed all the time whilst guests are in there, which stops people wandering in without a card / wandering out when they shouldn't.

I appreciate Josh's post but the fact of the matter is this is simply a pretty poor decision and will (quite literally) make the park look stupid. Who's going to even know that these are accommodation units from the outside? The guests that arrive at the park and just see what look to be office-blocks impeding the view of the park probably won't even know they're visitor-accessible.

I dont think we can say its a "fact" this is a poor decision just yet, whilst I agree they will look pretty naff from the outside the rooms look a reasonable quality inside, we will only know if its a poor decision once we know how the hotel performs.

Why can I see drunk people milling around the park when the engineers start their morning checks as a result of this...

I hope they have a good plan for ensuring guests don't wander into the park in the middle of the night...

How're they gonna keep guests off the rest of the park, and only those staying over in that area?

Presume it mentions that somewhere?

Surely by the 24 hour security on site?

Am I missing something here, the park is closed near on 5 months a year, are they going back for that time? It can't be cost effective to keep them there even if the club nights continue over the close season.

Security and Entertainment all seems more of a logistical nightmare rather than a "resort" experience?

Thing is, I've been looking forward to having a hotel at Thorpe for a long time as it's quite a trek back home for me. But I don't want to stay in one of those, and my wife won't stay in one of those, we want to stay in a hotel room with usual hotel standards and entertainment.

I'm gonna guess we will be far from the only ones who would think that. If they use this as some sort of feasibility study into investing in a proper hotel we may end up never getting one.

Surely Merlin have enough skills and knowledge to know if a hotel is going to be effective, without trialling it using portable bedrooms?

You don't see Alton Towers, Chessington, Europa-Park, Pleasure Beach, Phantasialand, PortAventura etc. building some temporary rooms to see how well they sell?

I'm gonna guess we will be far from the only ones who would think that. If they use this as some sort of feasibility study into investing in a proper hotel we may end up never getting one.

I did wonder this too......

You don't see Alton Towers, Chessington, Europa-Park, Pleasure Beach, Phantasialand, PortAventura etc. building some temporary rooms to see how well they sell?

Also agree with this, but I guess times are hard at the moment all the merlin parks have been subject to budget cuts and what not, I do wonder if its so they can get a "hotel" open for the 2013 season which wouldnt be possible with a full hotel.

Excellent point. These don't even register as hotel accommodation for me, and it's absolutely pointless that Thorpe are using such a means as a pilot into whether a proper hotel would be financially viable. These aren't as appealing as a proper hotel with proper hotel facilities, so the success of this three-year trial period will not be indicative of the interest there would be in a proper hotel made from bricks and mortar. For the price they're forking out for these (anywhere between £11-£12M), why not just build a smaller hotel and extend if necessary?

I'm guessing this was a merlin idea and not thorpe, I wonder if this is linked with Altons very cheap offers in their hotel this year and they are just not as busy as expected - hence the cheap offers and hence this?

Still aslong as its "styled" nicely it will look ok I hope, whilst its never going to look amazing I just hope some efforts made into its appearance.

Don't shoot me down, but I think this could actually be a good idea for the target audience of the park. Young adults and students don't often have the cash to spend on a full blown hotel experience. These small container rooms, if priced correctly, are probably the best option for people who want to crash at the park before or after a visit.

I agree that young people, I.e. Thorpe Park's target market, wouldn't have the money to spend that a family or group of older adults may do - which is typical of what guests at the likes of Alton Towers area, spending up to £200.00 per room for 4.

That said, why build Snoozeboxes? Within the Merlin portfolio is Heide-Park and, as part of Heide-Park Resort, there is a hotel (newly built by Merlin, called Port Royal - and it's fantastic) along with the Heide-Park Holiday Camp. This is made up of lots of small buildings, with a basic bedroom and adjoining toilet facilities. It's a cross between say Europa-Park's Tipi Village and a Hotel. It costs around €25pppn (£20). This would surely be a better way forward?

My best bet is that these are being used to boost the two day tickets. Thorpe needs to prove to Merlin that it needs a hotel, and the way they currently plan to do that is by promoting and upselling the two day tickets, and bouncebacks. I think these are being put in to help promote that "Come back tomorrow for X amount more, plus stay on site in our snoozeboxes". That way, Thorpe can prove it needs the hotel, and then these abominations can be removed, thankfully.

My best bet is that these are being used to boost the two day tickets. Thorpe needs to prove to Merlin that it needs a hotel, and the way they currently plan to do that is by promoting and upselling the two day tickets, and bouncebacks. I think these are being put in to help promote that "Come back tomorrow for X amount more, plus stay on site in our snoozeboxes". That way, Thorpe can prove it needs the hotel, and then these abominations can be removed, thankfully.

Even in that basic form it doesn't sound inviting. I just have this weird feeling Thorpe are going to a hard time getting this investment off the ground.

I don't think these are even suited to or aimed at the Thorpe target market. They are supposed to be a premium product in an environment you can't normally get a room, ie where everyone around you is camping you get a room (and that is where the premium pricing comes from), not as a cheap room where a proper hotel should be.

The owners won't want them trashed by Thorpes drunken 'target market' paying a few quid a night, they will want to price out the rough. If these are under £100 a night I'll be quite shocked, but I wouldn't be willing to pay anything like that.