The Crash Pad

Confuzzled

A random Sunday night in September when I'm always off work for a couple of weeks:

- £170 for a crash pad.

- £60 for a double room, the Crown Hotel, 7 miles away.

Add two park tickets for £40 in total, I'll keep the £70 quid in my pocket thanks. Well, I won't, I'll drive home and keep the £130 in my pocket.

Just done some comparisons using the Annual Pass Rate.

THORPE PARK Crash Pad: Saturday, 27th April: £175 / 4 = £43.75pp

Alton Towers Splash Landings: Saturday, 27th April: £147 / 4 = £36.75pp

That is all.

Is it just me, or would you expect The Crash Pad to be significantly cheaper to stay at than AT's hotels?

Alton were doing a room for two with breakfast and park entry for £99 off peak last season, that's the kind of price I was expecting for the crashpad.

I wouldn't consider paying much/any more than that. That would be £30 per person per night for a room with breakfast which would seem fair. If they fill them up at these prices then fair enough, but I'll be amazed if they do. In traditional Merlin style I think they have been priced to be discounted, so they look so much better value when they knock money off down the line.

It's all about demand isn't it?

Alton were pretty much giving away rooms this season to try fill the hotels, Thorpe for now clearly feel they are pitching at a price people will be happy to pay.

I've no doubt in the quieter times / depending how the season goes we will see deals making it much more reasonable at Tp too..

Because it hasn't a zoo or an estate costing them fortunes?

I bet you, if you looked at average guest expenditure, they won't have anything near as much as the average guest of the other parks. Towers goes for the same market, exact same market, during offpeak time. If they had to go £99 for two, with park entry, god knows how thorpe can expect anything more.

Just done some comparisons using the Annual Pass Rate.

THORPE PARK Crash Pad: Saturday, 27th April: £175 / 4 = £43.75pp

Alton Towers Splash Landings: Saturday, 27th April: £147 / 4 = £36.75pp

That is all.

Is it just me, or would you expect The Crash Pad to be significantly cheaper to stay at than AT's hotels?

It's a no brainer, even though it means me driving an extra 160 miles, I'd much prefer to stay in splash at the rates quoted above. I think they've priced themselves way too high, even a premier inn locally is far cheaper and I'd imagine far more comfortable. I would expect prices to be around £100 for a room that sleeps 4 when all is said and told

Now I have to admit - the prices are deemed quite high bearing in mind you'll be sleeping in temporary accommodation and at the end of the day this is no 4/5 star hotel. However as Marc says starting off high and then reducing it in the future will make it seem better value when you see the 50% off to sell you the rooms etc

on a business point of view might as well start high and then go low so people will be like wow look how much discount rather than start low and then raise the prices and have people turning around and complaining the prices are going up to quick!

To be honest, it makes me wonder how much Snoozebox are actually charging Merlin to rent these rooms.

With running fees, monthly rent, sewage disposal and water supply(I assume these aren't plumbed in?), mandatory maintenance and upkeep(just because Merlin don't bother, Snoozebox might actually care). They probably are paying more than it would to upkeep a real hotel.

Having a look at the booking system, pricing up a few random dates across the year, I am actually disgusted at the price they think they can charge. I honestly hope, that with time, these prices decrease. In my opinion, however, this will not happen.

It may be on the outskirts of London but this place is a temporary hotel. I have experienced Snoozebox customer service before, be prepared for Holiday Inn style, but the staff are just younger and less inclined to help. There is no contest here, the Tower's hotels offer MUCH better value for money!

I think it's a massive shame that they have embarrassed themselves, equal to Storm Surge standards :(

Having a look at the booking system, pricing up a few random dates across the year, I am actually disgusted at the price they think they can charge. I honestly hope, that with time, these prices decrease. In my opinion, however, this will not happen.

Mate, thorpe park prices go up every year, this resulted in me getting an annual pass due to the horrible pricing(£45) per visit! It is going to go up even more next year and no doubt the crash pad will do this aswell! I don't know how they think they can get away with this although I love thorpe park and the rides.

Mate, thorpe park prices go up every year, this resulted in me getting an annual pass due to the horrible pricing(£45) per visit! It is going to go up even more next year and no doubt the crash pad will do this aswell! I don't know how they think they can get away with this although I love thorpe park and the rides.

I've been an annual pass holder for 7 years. In that long time, I've seen some ridiculous pricing strategies, but The Crash Pad really is taking the biscuit. As I said, I believe it to be very unlikely that the prices will deflate. The price they are charging for peak times is what I would have expected if they would have built a multi-million pound themed hotel.

But, just like you have said, I do love the parks and I hate to Merlin-bash. One positive, the idea of a "crash pad" does suit Thorpe very well. I just hope they get the guests through the doors!