The Crash Pad

Confuzzled

I think the theatre is labelled as P4D for all council-submitted plans. Almost certain it won't return. However, on the topic of how the park looks in those plans in general - the Thorpe Belle isn't shown in the location of Saw Alive, though it has been in previous plans showing the entire park. Curious...

My first reaction is just 'lulwat?' - but I'll give my full views when I've had a good nose around the plans on my laptop and not a quick look on my phone.

All of my wut.

I could understand if Thorpe were aiming for a borderline sterile, conservative clientele who regularly wear black suits and carry briefcases, and require somewhere to stay overnight between flights from New York to Beijing or something, but other than that then this is simply a waste of money.

It doesn't suit the park; it doesn't suit the park's target demographic. How on Earth is a multi-storey box with striking similarity to a temporary quarantine unit going to fit into a park with primarily destroyed themes? Talk about bleaching the place out...

Edit: Just seen on the plans, there's meant to be 117 of these on Island E? Island E?! THORPE WHY DO YOU FAIL SO MUCH.

For those unaware of the location of Island E, it's situated to the right of Thorpe's entrance bridge.:

Posted Image

Yes, it was once a place suggested for construction of the 2015 coaster. Now, it's been pretty obvious from about 2008 that Island A will see coaster development before Island E, but ask yourself this - would you rather see a coaster on the spare bit of land just to the right of the entrance bridge, or an enormous block of white boxes blocking out everything from Tidal Wave to The Swarm (and maybe even Stealth, by extension)?

Extra revenue for what? I wish every penny profit that the likes of TP made went right back into TP. It really doesn't. That isn't how Merlin works.

I am fairly shocked at these plans... it's not exactly following Port Royal (hotel at Heide Park) is it. I don't get the need for temporary accommodation. Why not just build the full hotel now and not hang about?

The hotel only takes a couple of days to put up :o So when will it be built? And will it have a theme?

Considering it's temporary it's likely to be going back to the company when Thorpe are finished with it... although four years is an awful long lease period. I doubt it will be themed at it doesn't look like the type of accommodation that will accommodate extra themeing features courtesy of external companies like Studios North etc. They seem to have their own style anyway so it's not like much could be done theme-wise whilst keeping the temporary factor. And at the end of the day it'd be more wasted money seeing as whatever theme is added will be removed when the accommodation is.

I really hope, that for the sake of reason, and also on the grounds that the construction would obstruct the view, which I believe is one of the reasons a woodie - not the 2009 GCI - was denied yonks ago, that Runnymede deny this.

I am fairly shocked at these plans... it's not exactly following Port Royal (hotel at Heide Park) is it. I don't get the need for temporary accommodation. Why not just build the full hotel now and not hang about?

Having read through the plans, there are delays with building the full hotel for a few reasons (I'm guessing mainly money).

The Snoozebox is due to open Spring next year, much quicker they could ever dream of opening a hotel (and much cheaper if it fails), its due to be open for 3 years (close when new main hotel opens) and will have no effect on the coaster developments.

I really hope, that for the sake of reason, and also on the grounds that the construction would obstruct the view, which I believe is one of the reasons a woodie - not the 2009 GCI - was denied yonks ago, that Runnymede deny this.

If you think Runnymede denying this would be in anyway shape or form good for the park your crazy, that would set them back yonks and damage potential future investments.

I guess if the dome stays open it would equal the offerings of Altons hotel? Food / Bar / Arcade? Just not all on site.

Thorpes also open later more often with their club nights which are open till 3am, with very little public transport at that time I can see these being popular then.

I guess we will see, and hope there successful enough for them to justify going ahead with the full plans for hotel.