The Crash Pad

Confuzzled

Just a question: do the resorts automatically get a larger budget?

if yes, then that suggests to me that Thorpe want a hotel as soon as possible, so they get more to spend on the park. we've seen this year a number of touch ups around the place, so I wonder if the temporary hotel is just for the boost in money to spend. I also wonder if they're hoping that if this is successful, then merlin will be more willing to pay for a permanent hotel?

I know this might sound abit strange. But I was thinking that maybe Merlin know that this wouldn't do fine unless there was a true reason for staying overnight. So I thought that since the MTDP is up until 2016 which states the addition of new attractions, maybe thorpe will add flat rides between those years (2013, 2014 and maybe 2016). And of course the 2015 coaster as well. So for when those attractions open and there are long queues or it may breakdown, then people can stay overnight to ride the new additions the next day. That's just my theory.

I know this might sound abit strange. But I was thinking that maybe Merlin know that this wouldn't do fine unless there was a true reason for staying overnight. So I thought that since the MTDP is up until 2016 which states the addition of new attractions, maybe thorpe will add flat rides between those years (2013, 2014 and maybe 2016). And of course the 2015 coaster as well. So for when those attractions open and there are long queues or it may breakdown, then people can stay overnight to ride the new additions the next day. That's just my theory.

But they can realistically do that the moment the rooms are built? I don't think the number of rides at Thorpe being insufficient has anything to do with the overall response of disappointment to these hotel substitutes, especially considering the park will close no later than 7pm for the majority of the year, regardless of the number of rides.

Hey, I know it may not be the right place, but I didn't see it worth opening up a new topic.

Is it Merlin who allocate the budget to the park or Blackstone? I only say this, seeing as Merlin rely on Blackstone financially.

I am just curious to know why all the budgets vary from park to park.

It's so offensive that its almost cringe-worthy how stereotypical, ignorant and stuck-up some people are about what they perceive as the park's 'target market'

Oh, grow up. It is not what I think of the target market as a whole but it simply can not be denied that with advertising like 'blows*it up' they are not going for class, they are now actively encouraging people to stay late, get drunk and party. It is the 'target market' who actually turn up, and for one reason or another Thorpe attract more troublesome members of society than most/all other parks, hence the massive security compared to the others. If you can't see that you're quite ignorant to reality and if you're offended by that you're too fragile for the internet.

I'm almost certain that Alton openly said recently they don't want to build a budget hotel as they don't want to attract the wrong people and the problems they bring, but I can't find the link. It is just logical that they won't want their investment trashed and as far as I can make out it won't actually be owned by Thorpe anyway, these things are rented out so the owning company will want to protect their property.

The point is, they are designed as a premium alternative to budget (camping) accommodation but are being touted here as a budget alternative to premium (a real hotel) accommodation, so the concept doesn't match the use. The owners won't want scum bags staying in and breaking their shiny new boxes. What is it about that you're offended by?

Would be handy for club nights at Thorpe, meaning I don't have to find a driver who won't drink. If it's fairly cheap to get a room then it will be successful for these events, good move IMO.

A rather big IF though... What would people consider as their maximum limit towards paying to stay the night in a box?

A rather big IF though... What would people consider as their maximum limit towards paying to stay the night in a box?

If it's under £30 a night I think it'll be alright, interior for the rooms looks pretty sweet, just the exterior that lets it down. It's one of those things that made me burst into laughter when I first saw it and I even checked the date to see if it was April 1st. I guess we'll just have to see what happens with it.

I'd be surprised if it is less than £100 per box per night.

Considering how quickly the things go up and down, and that this is a fairly new company with I guess a limited amount of these boxes in circulation, do you think they will be there permanently throughout the time of the deal? Or when they are required elsewhere for big events, like the Silverstone GP where they have been used before, will they be carted away for the week?

I'm presuming as there are not many actual pictures of the things on their website they will make a new batch? 3-4 years is a VERY long time and they will probably be in bad condition when they get back so maybe....

ALSO I noticed it says custom picture/painting what do you think Thorpe will put in these?

Q) Roughly how much would a room be?

A) We hope rooms will start from £100 for 4 people (just £25 each if 4 people share!), however final pricing strategy has yet to be fully confirmed.

I don't want to stay in a box that small with even my closest friends thanks! So £50pp minimum for a couple not into swinging. I'll drive home.

£25pppn would be a reasonable figure, merely for the convenience of not having to drive to a Travelodge. But much more than that and it would be ridiculous, given the price MAP holders can stay at Chessington's proper hotel for.

But it really depends on evening options... I really don't like The Dome as it is ...

• 3 weeks later...