Size Restrictions

Daytripper

Question

Hi everyone, this is my first post - this question isn't about me it's about my partner who is a quite a big guy! He is around 6'1, 19st & has a bit of a belly on him, I'm just wondering if he will be OK on the rides at Thorpe Park?

We're also going to Alton Towers & Blackpool Pleasure Beach in the same week. It's my 26th birthday & as a surprise he's booked for me to go everywhere. We've both been to Blackpool Pleasure Beach before, I have been to Alton Towers many a time (he hasn't) & we recently went to Porto Aventura earlier this year & he was okay on the rides there.. but I am just a little worried about him.

I would die if he saw me posting this & hope he doesn't see this - but I'm sure you can all understand my worrying. He's spent £££ on tickets (fast track in Thorpe Park too) & I just hope to god he can actually ride most of the rides & enjoy them!

Please could someone let me know as soon as possible, because even though he isn't worrying about it at all - I'm here worried to death he's not going to get on anything! The biggest question mark is over AIR at Alton Towers.. I can imagine that being tight on a big person! :o help!

15 answers to this question

Hi!

It mainly depends on his girth which is guided for nearly all rides at 52" with both Nemesises and Oblivion having extra wide 54" seats available. But with his height and weight it shouldn't be a problem on anything really. Other than Colossus at Thorpe which is a bit tight on me at 16 and a bit stone (but a member of staf will jump up and down on your restraint until it clicks into place!), and I wouldn't recommend ripsaw at Alton either, he'd probably physically fit but it would be a few minutes of cramped painful hell that followed, that ride is not fun for the bigger build.

AIR restraints are big and squidgy, he should be fine! There are test seats at the coaster entrance to try before you queue and avoid ride station embarrassment. Relax and enjoy it, if BPPB and PA have not been a problem Thorpe and Alton should be no different.

Thanks for the fast reply! I really don't know his girth - & I'm going to sound silly but when you say Girth is this around the chest or belly or is this that measurement around the shoulder & under the crotch & back? I know he is NO way a 52'' chest OR waist but not sure of the belly, lol.

They say that Colossus is painful on the legs too - what's that all about?! - Never been to TP.

Ripsaw I kinda guessed would be uncomfortable for him, I'll see what he thinks when we're there. I forgot about the test seat (Air) & yeah, it is squidgy isn't it, so he should be okay. It's more me worrying about it!

Colossus isn't really painful for the legs... more on the head. For safety reasons guests must be properly secured in the seat, which may not be possible for some guests with larger torso or thigh measurements. If you are unsure, selected rides have test seats that may be used before entering the queue line. As Pluk said,

wouldn't recommend ripsaw at Alton either

I wouldn't recommend it either and also I wouldnt recommend Submission at Alton Towers as IT HURTS LIKE HELL! I'm very skinny and that is coming from a 12 year old :P

Apart from that I hope you have a brilliant holiday and that you dont scream to much :)

Thanks for the fast reply! I really don't know his girth - & I'm going to sound silly but when you say Girth is this around the chest or belly or is this that measurement around the shoulder & under the crotch & back? I know he is NO way a 52'' chest OR waist but not sure of the belly, lol.

They say that Colossus is painful on the legs too - what's that all about?! - Never been to TP.

If your partner doesn't come close to 52" then you've got nothing to worry about on pretty much all of the rides. :)

One thing I will say with regard to your query about Colossus though, is that quite often taller guests with considerably long legs will find it hard to fit into the cars. You'll notice when you get there each train has fourteen rows of two seats, each of which is numbered 1-14. I recommend you avoid the even-numbered rows (the back two seats to each car), as there is considerably less room for legs in these two seats. Aim for the odd-numbered rows, as the front of the cars has more leg-room.

Hope we could help. :)

With regards to the thing of Colossus being painfull on the legs, that's the reason I don't ride it anymore. One piece of advice I can give you is that on Colossus try to avoid yourself being swung around to much on the long in-line twists which is that part where you keep on going upside down that looks like a long spiral. It will avoid you getting pulled muscles on your legs. But with the rest of the rides, everything should be fine. Incase try the test seats. And if for any reason he can't fit on a ride, hopefully not, tell him to breath in and suck in his belly. A little trick to fit in.

Basically what everyone here has said :)

Also the other reason Colossus can be painful on the legs is because the restraints tighten throughout the ride and they are heavy restraints! Even I can get discomfort from them and I'm only 5ft 2! :lol:

One other thing which I know (due to being an ex Thorpe staff member) is that on Colossus, even though the restraint on the test seat may close ok, on the actual ride the staff may need to push it down a bit furthur in order to get a dispatch light. Best thing is like Sidders said - sit in the front of the car, and remove any bulky coats etc if possible, it can help. But by the sound of it he should be fine :)

Sorry, only just read some of these replies now! Thanks Sidders for the tip on Colossus, Mah Boi & Mer too! I'll get him to sit in the test seats I think!

I always have this fear that the people aren't going to secure us in properly etc ugh, I always have that fear myself of slipping out etc on the first ride then I'm fine the rest of the day, lol.

I'm not looking forward to Colossus then, because even though I'm a slim frame I'm 5'8 quite tall for a girl (long legs) so I guess it will be painful right?! We're going on Sunday.. anyone know of it will be busy or not? x

I just remembered we have fast-track tickets for Thorpe so we should be okay, AT on wednesday (hoping it will be quiet with kids back in school & not sure on the weather) - Then lastly BPB on Thursday! Again not sure on the weather.. but we'll see! Just hope The Big One is open this time. Missed it last year because of the weather.

Hi everyone,

Just letting you all know, we had a GREAT time! Luckily, Colin was able to go on everything.. except Colossus at TP, the one he was looking forward to the most! I'm sure he could have been squeezed in (the test seat was JUST about not closing)! Never mind! Next time!

We also went on The Pepsi Max Big One at BPB! What a ride. Out of all the ones I went on this week at TP, AT & BPB - this was the one I was scared of the most! It was great, an awesome ride.

At the minute there is an American guy there - Richard Rodriguez & he is attempting to break the Guinness Record for Most Consecutive days of roller coaster riding. He was on day 99 when we were there, going round and round non stop on The Big One! Crazy guy!

Anyway, Thanks for the help, I'll be staying in this forum, because me & Colin are both self confessed coaster-junkies, lol this forum suits us to the ground, hehe. Hope this helps any other people too worried about their weight etc :)

Anella