Fright Nights 2013

Confuzzled

The mazes are in desperate need of some triggered anamatronic effects.

They are much scarier than actors as quite often they go unnoticed until they are triggered. Asylum in particular should have a few of these, they would fit in really well with the strobes.

The mazes also need to be much louder. Last year the sirens in Asylum were much quieter than in previous years and it took away the atmosphere somewhat. They need to be deafening, to the point that actually scares you rather than just thinking "oh there's a nice siren sound effect in the background".

We can assure you that Fright Nights this year is going to be pretty special... nobody's guessed it yet ;)

Hmmmm don't think anyone has guessed this...

"The highly anticipated return of the scare zone between Rush and Quantum"

That was a truly great attraction for us enthusiasts to see the old TP memorabilia.

Unfortunately James, the main problem with that scare zone was that it was way too short and not at all scary. (TN did a live feed from the 2009 event at the time we wrote the following)

Suffice to say, it was short and sweet. It wasn’t scary, but the theming was good and the throughput fast; we only had to wait for a few minutes. Unfortunately, we couldn’t take pictures inside.

http://live.towersnerd.com/?event=21.

One of the advantages of doing a live feed is that you get the honest reponses at the time. The longer something is ago the more scewed your memory of it becomes so ok things become brilliant and minor niggles become hates.

Unfortunately James, the main problem with that scare zone was that it was way too short and not at all scary. (TN did a live feed from the 2009 event at the time we wrote the following)

http://live.towersnerd.com/?event=21.

One of the advantages of doing a live feed is that you get the honest reponses at the time. The longer something is ago the more scewed your memory of it becomes so ok things become brilliant and minor niggles become hates.

Interesting, my view of it was VERY different. Here was my original view, the night of getting back from my first trip (which was for the AP Preview Night):

Dead End. Was slightly cynical of it, yes. However, I LOVE it.

I like how it opens at dusk, but staff were advising to try it when it was dark for the best experience. Long enough in my eyes, and very interesting. Had 3 and 4 actors respectively in my two goes. Actors made some very good jumpy moments utilising the layout and the props. Final 'scene' was amazing; the actor was very active and took full advantage of everything. She even recognised me on my second go, and singled me out - pushing the fence behind me and lunging at me! Amazing! Whilst I may not have been scared, there may be some that will, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself! Came out with a huge smile on my face both times, wanting more. Loved the slightly distorting use of smoke effects as well - helped the actors even more.

Theming I saw used: MHFS, old Zodiac, Sun Scream, Thorpe Farm; old Thorpe signs. May be more.

Now, the downside to Dead End. Only effective when there are less people around. I fear when it is dark and very busy, the attraction won't be effective enough. Also, I fear the

GP may laugh at / not understand the use of the old theming (especially the MHFS stuff) and may rubbish the attraction because of that. I just hope that that doesn't end up as the case; it would be really unfair if that did occur.Thorpe have done really well with the Terror Zone - won me over and I think it is amazing; better than any of the mazes.

In case you can't tell, I was rather cynical about it (which may have played a part in me enjoying all the more - I had zero expectations, so maybe anything would've had a glowing review?). Whilst I wasn't scared, I did enjoy it and thought it was a good little attraction all in all.

I will admit that the last sentence of me saying it was "better than any mazes" is, in hindsight, most definitely wrong, and probably was just the 'new attraction' factor. I will also say that as FN 2010 went on, the scare zone got worst (the actors had masks, they played about with the smoke effects, etc.), and as time went on, I felt it just wasn't up to the same standard as it started off as; shame.

I'd love to see Thorpe do a scare zone again, but I also quite like the roaming actors we've had the past couple of seasons. Would rather roaming actors than a scare zone actually (if it HAD to be one or the other); especially as Merlin scare zones are very 'maze-like'.

Personally, Fright Nights doesn't work well anymore regarding theming because of the two Monday to Thursday non Fright Night sections in the middle. Therefore, they don't do large park wide theming because it would confuse people going on these non Fright Night dates. I understand why they made it so they weren't Fright Nights as they were so quiet, but maybe Thorpe should consider opening later in the day so they can remain open later st night and attract people after they've finished work or school.

I'm very excited to see what they do this year though with the way they keep teasing us with a big twist for this year!

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this randomly...

http://themeparkdesigns.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/slender-thorpe-park-fright-nights-2013/

Fan made, I know, but I would still LOVE to see something like this. Thorpe's mazes all make use of the same tactic of 'shock scares', and there's no real ambient build up. Something like this would be a fantastic addition.

Whilst that actual maze probably could never happen (Health and Safety, the possible return of CCR, etc.), the same concept could be applied elsewhere. I think maybe The Passing could (and should have) employed this idea. Maybe a slight story change to show how you're being tormented by one or two characters in the afterlife, and these keep reappearing and disappearing throughout the maze. With the use of the bags on your head, it would create a tense atmosphere, and could build up nicely, whilst still keeping the scares.

It could work well with an Asylum retheme as well. Isn't the maze basically just set in one big room? If so, then the positioning of the speakers could allow things to sound in the distance at one point of the maze, then be really close as you advance through. Coupled in with the feeling of being chased / trapped by someone / something, it's another way the idea could work well.

Slenderman is present so yes this should happen. It's exactly the market Thorpe are looking at.

This would have a much longer-lasting impact than mazes like The Asylum, SAW: Alive or The Passing which have momentary balls-out, **** yourself scares. In Slenderman, there's only about five or six encounters with the man himself, but he's always there, out of your sight, but you're constantly in his. The rest is build-up, anticipation, you heartbeat going ten to the dozen even when nothing's happening. In Thorpe current mazes, when nothing's happening it's crap, but this could be something truly special. I would love for them to use the Abbey Lake peninsula as a scare maze location, and Slender is the perfect tool. There would be no rubbish tents, just metal construction fencing giving you the impression, as per the game, you're in an abandoned property (will also stop people falling into the lakes hurr).

It may be an IP but it's a clever one that's not overdone. Its shrouded in mystery and because unlike Saw, is really is a very disturbing psychological concept that people only ever hear whispers about, it would be so perfect. Many people don't even know who Slenderman is and those that do know not to play his game lightly. The whole thing started off as a conspiracy in 2009 with edited photos etc., so its fresh, current and there's still some people yet to discover how scary he is. Slenderman is a genuinely terrifying foe, far more than the blood and gore of The Asylum, E-10 and SAW: Alive.

It would also be logistically very easy to pull off. Only a few buildings are required, there won't be any noise abatement required as it'll be deadly silent aside from screams, and there'll only need to be one actor. A second may be required so that each group has a sort of 'mentor' to help them get through the forest without getting lost, because it would be so good if there wasn't a pre-determined path between each of the 'scenes'.

One thing I'm not keen on in the blog is the idea that we'll have GCSE Drama student 'jumping' at guests. No no no. Slenderman doesn't jump. He stands. And then he disappears. Occasionally he indulges in taking a few steps towards his victims but other than that half the reason he is so scary is because he is so silent. It'd be great if, at the eighth note, Slenderman positions himself behind the group and plays with someone's hair or something, because at this point, seeing Slenderman right behind you would be absolutely terrifying.