Fright Nights 2013

Confuzzled

Would love a Slenderman based maze, especially one utilizing the CCR space. If there ever was a Slender maze they'd have to get a few key aspects right, as Sidders said, it would have to stay still and silent, this would really be something unique among Thorpe's maze lineup, as most of there mazes (bar nearly all of Ex10) rely on people yelling at you, that doesn't build atmosphere, it just gives you a headache. If a Slender maze was ever done, they would have to get the height of Slenderman right, part of what makes the idea so terrifying for me is the height of Slender man, it gives the illusion that Slenderman is utterly unstoppable, and that there's nothing you can do to save yourself. Would love Thorpe to do something like this, if they ever did it - and got it right, it would easily be Thorpe's best maze.

I've been thinking about it, and the way it works sounds similar to Séance: The Curse of Mary Black; the main scare maze at Warwick Castle's Halloween event, in that there'd only be 1, maybe 2, groups in the maze at any one time. I really liked the way Séance was set up, but the execution was a bit weak. So, a style of maze like that at Thorpe (which should inevitably be more scary) would work wonders.

I think there's two troubles with the suggestion made here:

-The setting up of buildings along the route. If the rumours of reopening CCR hold true, it would have to close again in September. It could also cause damage to the track itself, which would be quite costly.

-Health and Safety. They're going to be really strict about it, aren't they? It's probably doable, but doable to a degree that makes it effective enough? Not too sure. I remember reading on some site somewhere a while back (though I can't find it for the life of me!) that the CCR did hold a scare attraction one year when Fright Nights first started (I think the 02 season). However, due to surrounding noises and poor marketing of the attraction, it didn't last more than the 1 year. Anyone know any more on that, or did I imagine it? :P

I do think it's something that could be pulled of though, and it wouldn't be hard to execute it correctly. However, I would happily take something similar, focusing around silence, second-guessing yourself, 'seeing things', etc. and relying on your senses. I just can't help but continually think to myself that what I'd imagine from a Slender maze is what I wanted from The Passing though!

If they do have a new maze this year, I would like to see it have a long, atmospheric build up with a really, really strong story-line followed by an explosive final.

Whilst quite common, a ghost haunting theme could work brilliantly!
They could have sensors on objects in a room to move as you walk past, a few actors here and there but mainly relying on other effects and props. The final could have an actor (or several) who have been "possessed" by the spirit.

If just having one possessed person, they could be sleeping in the corner of the room, then as you walk past they could suddenly start running at you shrieking - causing people to run out of the exit.

The problem with that sort of atmospheric maze is the fact that you are in a group, the group itself usually breaks the atmosphere. A big part of what is scary about something like Slender is your aloneness, the quiet and stillness. In a group of 12 you'd think 'ah, we can take him!' and half of them would be chatting amongst themselves instead of going along with it.

I don't remember CCR ever being used before, but it surely should. As a ghost train, an adult black spot type thing maybe, more fun than scary. The throughput could be huge too, which is something fright nights needs.

The thing about the CCR circuit, is that with a few modifications, the area it uses in itself would make an excellent scare maze in itself, without even running the trains on it.

Just look at what they did with the CoS at Alton Towers behind the goal striker building. And it would be easily feasible to theme the maze around an old haunted railway track.

You'd just have to close Loggers leap after 4pm, I can't see it being that busy anyway as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this being discussed on TST yesterday actually (in relation to ScareFest).

The doll they show is from the film Dead Silence (which, coincidentally, comes from the same two people who came up with the first Saw film):

215px-Dead_silence.jpg

I guess the clues all relate to different places, and I doubt we'll see an entire new event 'replace' FN (as the park are calling it Fright Nights on the gate map, but anything's possible I guess?). To be honest, looking at those hints, I'd be rather surprised if one of them didn't relate to Thorpe - probably the theme park related one.

If memory serves me correctly, there was a focus group in 2011, and a maze based around a horror film cropped up in a few ideas apparently (mentioned here - http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/8953-thorpe-fright-nights-2011/page-2). All this seems to slot together nicely ey?

Edited by JoshC.

With Fright Nights being advertised on thorpepark.com as:

Forget everything you thought you knew about Fright Nights as a new age of live action entertainment is unveiled at the Nation’s Thrill Capital, THORPE PARK.

Wouldn't surprise me if it is Thorpe they are talking about... would be pretty awesome too!

Looks as though only SAW Alive will be the returning maze for 2013:

Forget everything you thought you knew about Fright Nights as a new age of live action entertainment is unveiled at the Nation’s Thrill Capital, THORPE PARK. Beware of what hides in the shadows as the UK’s most chilling Halloween event is revamped by some of the best minds in horror entertainment.

From subjecting guests to total torture in SAW Alive to giving bone chilling frights in our all new terrifying mazes for 2013 – you’ll be making this Halloween one nightmare that our guests won’t want to wake up from.

Taken from the 'Acting roles' job description here: https://merlin.taleo.net/careersection/4/jobdetail.ftl