Fright Nights 2013

Confuzzled

Review - Fright Nights preview evening.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Overall, I had mixed feelings about this year's event. The mazes were, in general much better than last year although there were some flaws (although this is to be expected though on a preview evening).

There was one thing I was not happy about though, which will be mentioned in the review of that maze.

My Bloody Valentine

I really enjoyed this one. The actors were really good, and the Harry Warden actors were effectively using the layout to make it seem like they had followed you around the maze. The theming was brilliant in parts of the maze, particularly the first section and they really utilized it well. Lots of the props represented things from the films in subtle ways, and overall it really impressed me.

The main downside was lack of atmosphere in the queueline - the newly installed speakers were playing nothing! (However it was preview night, so hopefully this will change).

Overall I was very impressed with this maze :)

8/10

The Asylum

This was good, but as we were one of the first groups of the day in it (and it opened late) I don't think that the actors were quite ready for us. Still, we really enjoyed it and the new touches were very nice. There were quite a lot of new/altered scenes and props (which I have wanted in there for a long time!)

The new finale will be brilliant, however for our turn we saw the man go to get the chainsaw before he was ready for us so it ruined it, however it's early days yet and it will be brilliant!

7.5/10

Cabin In The Woods

Based on the bad experience we had in this, I didn't rate it very highly. I do however think that I might enjoy it more if I go in it again.

Firstly, in the queueline we had actors literally dribbling on us (as there are actors in the queue this year). I had dribble on my hand, and another man got really close to several woman with LOTS of dribble on his beard. This was unhygienic, dangerous (could enter cuts etc) and generally disgusting.

However, we decided to put this aside as we entered the maze. It started off really well, but they separated my brother (who is not the bravest of people) from me and he hated it after that. I did stress to the actor that they shouldn't split us up as while it didn't bother me, he really didn't like it. I know it's part of it, but it makes it hard to find groups again at the end etc and should only be done to adult groups.

Overall, despite some flaws I thought that the theming quality of the maze was quite high and I might give it another go (if the dribbling stops).

6.5/10

The Blair Witch Project

Quite frankly, awful. A walk through a darkened path (the only fear being of tripping up) with a few actors whispering stuff, then a woman screaming and bashing a wall in a hut at the end. Won't be going back for more of this one.

2/10 (Second point only for the large amount of fog used at the entrance :lol: )

I did enjoy this event, and I think it has given the park some flaws to fix before tomorrow's big launch of the event. I look forward to returning to the park on Sunday and experiencing it all again (minus TBWP and possibly CITW, and I would like to do Saw Alive as well as I haven't done it for a while now).

Final thoughts on the general park atmosphere:

The Good:

- Asylum's Queue-line music. That Bass! :D

- Theming in the dome and park entrance plaza

- New audio around the park

The Bad:

- No queueline music for Cabin in the Woods or My Bloody Valentine - this would really help the atmosphere and mood of people queuing up as without it everyone just looks bored and annoyed.

- NO theming whatsoever around the park. A real shame, however this is only the first night so it could be improved.

- Audio in mazes (Asylum in particular) could be louder.

- X music could be heard in parts of Cabin in the Woods

- The Blair Witch Project. Just, what?

The Ugly:

- The bodily fluids dribbled onto us in the CITW queueline. Not good.

Hope the park fix the problems (such as queueline music for the mazes and park-wide theming) because it will really make all the difference.

Spoilers

Quick review...

Cabin In The Woods was absolutely fantastic, managed to find the control room and controlled parts of the maze.

My Bloody Valentine was very good (theming was brilliant)

Asylum was same old stuff, as was Saw Alive.

You're Next actors were fairly crap and there weren't enough of them.

Blair Witch... The less said about that the better, it's basically walking down a countrylane into a shed straight from Homebase with a few actors doing nothing

Review - Fright Nights preview evening.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Overall, I had mixed feelings about this year's event. The mazes were, in general much better than last year although there were some flaws (although this is to be expected though on a preview evening).

best year yet?

Spoilers

Quick review...

best year yet?

Edited by pluk
Please do not quote massive posts in their entirety. No need!

My review of Fright Nights 2013 which is the first time I've done the mazes

WARNING, contains spoilers!

1/ Cabin in the woods,

I found this maze very good. The actors dramatic and convincing efforts helped as did the jumps and the room tricks where you so engines chose your path in the maze. Several actors interested with me both in and outside the ride. The route to start was a little confusing it other than that it was good, 8/10.

2/ My a Bloody a Valentine,

Very good again, excellent theming inside, convincing actors, scary moments and some interesting effects. Didn't seem quite as good as CITW but still a good maze, 7.5/10.

3/ Blair Witch Scare zone,

TBH, quite a disappointment, it had its odd share of moments such as the ending with the shed, but as interesting as walking the old railway route (which went to the farm,it wasn't that great and more of distraction/alternative way to reach the other end of the park, 3/10.

4/ The Asylum

Despite being the longest running maze at the park, I have never done this before until now. The maze was very interesting with its siren alarms throughout the maze as well the writing on the wall and the flashing lights really helped the setting. The actors would suddenly appear in front of you which with the light setting are less noticeable . The ending was also impressive being chased out of the maze by the chain saw person, 8.5/10.

5/ Youre a Next roaming actors

Saw them around the caroulsel area, but they weren't too intimidating to be honest and didn't set the scene.

2/10.

6/ Saw Alive

I didn't go in this attraction.

Overall mix of opinions, some were good and some were bad, but as this was the pass preview night, they will hopefully resolve this soon.

Whoever says this is the best Fright Nights yet is a moron and is lying to you. 2003 & 2004 were the best years yet, and have yet to be beaten

The Cabin in the Woods

The strongest maze today, you can still detect recycled Hellgate & The Passing theming, and hear the thumping of the X All Day Rave. Loving the new "choose a path" concept. Will be choosing a different door next time! I Found that the actors as per, were just jump scaring, we need more dialogue and real acting. Some might disagree, but I like the sensor operated doors, ones even automatic! Allows your group to stay together, just make sure you completely shut the door behind you, otherwise the next one wont open. Look above the door for the red and green lights!

N.B. If you end up in a corridor with a spinning Barbie Doll in the door, turn around you've gone the wrong way ;)

My Bloody Valentine

Mediocre, has a potential, but for anyone that is familiar with X10, you will not notice many changes to layout, again theming has been recycled, but loving the new foliage part!

The Blair Witch Project (Scare Zone)

Let me start by saying this had the most potential out of all FN Attractions this year, but this was absolutely shocking. I feel really sorry for anyone who wastes even a second of their time queuing for this. There were 3 actors in the entire zone, all of which were doing next to nothing. One was sitting on the floor, and not so much as a twitch. The last actor was screaming in the B&Q Value Range Shed. No sound effects, no smoke in the *actual* zone, only in the station. This was extremely weak and I don't recommend it at all. Dead End was stronger than this, so the less said about this the better.

Your Next (Roaming Actors)

Not even worth the time of day, all actors dressed in casual black clothes, with a ridiculously obvious plastic mask on their face, with the most unconvincing props ever. They do nothing, except have staring contests with you, and they are mostly short women who do not give off the intimidating look. Dont even know why Thorpe are bothering if this is the crap they output.

Saw Alive

Same as ever, you all know the drill. New strobe lights but thats about it.

A Bag of mixed reviews here, I didn't have high expectations, and I was right not to. Overall I'd have to say tonight in terms of atmosphere was weak. I like the music and the general Thorpe Park Studios theme, but its definately not the best FN yet, that much I can assure you. I will be visiting again on the 19th, and so I leave it up to you to draw your own conclusions.

Spoilers

Quick review...

Cabin In The Woods was absolutely fantastic, managed to find the control room and controlled parts of the maze.

My Bloody Valentine was very good (theming was brilliant)

Asylum was same old stuff, as was Saw Alive.

You're Next actors were fairly crap and there weren't enough of them.

Blair Witch... The less said about that the better, it's basically walking down a countrylane into a shed straight from Homebase with a few actors doing nothing

What happens in the control room and how do you control it? :)

Watched CITW yesterday and absolutely loved it, so really looking foward to this maze the most.

First of all can I say a big thank you to Thorpe Park, I think we need to make this very clear, they didn't have to do this event for Annual Pass Holders and generally they did an excellent job, through the experience and mostly pleasant staff throughout the evening!

I will start with some negatives however there are plenty of positives from this event, which is a lot of be said in comparison to some recent Fright Night Years!

The Lighting and Lack of smoke could have been improved, it was a shame to have areas such as the Swarm flood lit, and some areas had almost no lighting what so ever so you were in total darkness (I kind of prefer eerie green/red lighting rather than trying to feel your way round sections of queue or park) The smoke just wasn't really apparent anywhere apart from one or two places, and of course in the mazes themselves, but a bit more smoke I feel needs to be pumped into it!

Your Next was literally non existent and I feel maybe amending the "roaming" to a dedicated area of the park, somewhere like Neptune's Beach area where everyone walks past!

As has already been said about the Mazes generally very very good, perhaps a slight disappointment that My Bloody Valentine was mainly recycled material, and perhaps the tension was lost a little, especially with the lack of good loud audio and smoke...but still this is preview night, its expected.

I am concerned over the Queue lengths for Cabin in the Woods, which generally was an...interesting...maze, maybe not scary but a damn improvement on The Passing, I am worried it got to around 60 minuets queue on a quiet night, and I do fear the old 3 hour queues returning for such a maze during Half Term, so Thorpe Park may need to consider restricting Fast Track for especially this maze.

Asylum was good as always, still the same complaint...TURN THE VOLUME UP!...besides that great, actors lively and climbing all over the place, smoke a little thin in the Asylum and the end scene is drastically improved, adds much more intensity to it...Just wish they could hide the chainsaw better, but yes, very good!

Saw Alive, same as before but still very good.

Cabin in the Woods, different and I would like to try it again to see what I missed...but the doors are confusing, and most have no clue what to do when they are inside, you are only told once, "the doors must be fully closed behind you" which should be emphasized, and the only problem with this maze is it is very easy for a mass group to accidentally all move into one small room together! So maybe finding some sort of system to improve efficiency.

My Bloody Valentine...probably the weakest maze in my opinion, but at the same time had the best jump scares...all the mazes this year lacked this concept...this year Theme was set before hiding place, therefore MBV was great at the jump scares in a confined space, so as long as the actors learn and maintain their adrenaline it should be very good by next weekend!

All in all a very solid Fright Night, it won't compete with Scarefest for sheer excellence of the mazes, but that's not the point, Fright Nights have a good package with just a few tweaks here or there...as for the Blair Witch...well you know what Terror Zones are like...it streteches all the way from CCR to the Nemesis Inferno/Rumba Rapids road...very very very dark, not much in it, lack of smoke, lack of actors, pointless shed at the end...tweak this just a little bit and it should be a good high octance Zone...in many ways I wish they had brought back that old Terror Zone and used that with the Your Next Actors as well as the Blair Witch.

Therefore I look forward to others opinions, but once again Thank You Thorpe Park for a lovely evening, the queues were relatively quiet, Saw was walk on, Stealth and Swarm were also, so thank you for limiting numbers. But Thorpe I hope you read this, please please please think about Fast Track carefully with some of the mazes, the throughput is not great enough to do Thorpe Parks usual trick of over selling...In my opinion I felt restricting Fast Track from Cabin in the Woods until after 6-7 would be sensible, at least let general guests have a chance to get on it with OK throughput before these times are butchered by fastrack and disabled, that's not a prejudice view its just true, if CITW last night was 1 hour, imagine what it will be like when you add Disabled and Fast Track every other group! So please think carefully.

But thank you, I hope you do another event like this again!

I'll start by saying I haven't physically read any reviews (don't want the mazes spoilt of course), but I've just glanced at the ratings people have given...

But it's strange. Last night, CITW seems to have been consistently highly rated, and BWP is very low down. Yet, it was completely opposite for a friend of mine who visited the staff preview night, rating CITW as distinctly average, and BWP as the best of the night. He did say BWP was very atmospheric and was one of the first to go through it (which could change things possibly I guess?), and it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it was still brilliant.

Hopefully the park will use this weekend to tinker with things and see how the public responds to different ideas..

It was definitely the best Fright Nights I've done, I just want to re-do Cabin In The Woods again and again to do all the different routes :lol:

Good luck trying to do that - according to ScareTour's Twitter, there's apparently 17 possible routes! :o

So my review of the preview night...

Cabin in the Woods

There was some confusion with the queue at the beginning of the night where there seemed to be two entrances which ended up in a few arguements lol. Actor interaction with the queue was great but we didn't have to wait too long to get in the maze but watching the 3 of them was a good distraction. Once inside I really enjoyed the theming of the maze, old amount of actors and good costumes. Roaming free was great but meant you could get lost for quite a while, we hit dead ends constantly lol also one of group ended up going into the backof the set and an actress came out of character to laugh and tell us we were going the wrong way lol I've never seen them drop character before even when going the wrong way!! I really enjoyed the maze but was stuck for about 35 mins trying to find a way out lol

Saw Alive

We were one of the first on this and I loved it, lots of actors, different themes but not all saw related.... I always love this maze but not much change so nothing more to add just that I still love it and was probably one of my favourite!

My Bloody Valentine

Well the queue took forever!! Like 50 mins at least one of the longest, I didn't see many people coming out and maybe there was a problem... Watching a couple of the miners and girls in character running around and screaming passed the time but at this state I was worried about getting on the other mazes as it was getting on for 9pm. I wasn't overly mad on this maze as the wait made me think too much anticipation built up but when I go again I'll take it in more!! I didn't think there were many actors but the theming was great.

TBWP

We walked on this and it was ok. I found it funny to be honest and if I go again I wouldn't really queue for it to be honest.

Asylum

Love love this maze never fails to scare me! Lots of actors again climbing all over lots of interaction lol

Your Next

I didn't see any actors?!

I also only got on saw ride wise right at the end - spent the best part from 6.30 to 9.45 queuing for 4 mazes so I think on busier nights it's going to be very long queues!!

best year yet?

No. However, if these things changed:

- Audio in the queueline for every maze rather than just Asylum

- Park-wide theming added

- More audio in the mazes

Then I might change that viewpoint.

On another note, I agree with the comments about Asylum - the sirens need to be a lot louder to have any scary effect on people.

From all the mixed reviews I am setting my expectations low although that probably wont save BWP we will have to see I'm loving the new ride audio they as imtold on Rush, quantum, Vortex Detonator and Samurai. I look forward to our special meetup but I'm not expecting much tbh.

Right didn't do any of the mazes last night so am trying to avoid this topic :P So here are the good and disappointing about the rest of the park/rides.

Good:

• Loving the new announcements on many of the rides (especially remember Detonator's being "All our stunts at Thorpe Park Movie Studios are completely safe, apart from this one! 3,2,1... Action!")
  • Really liked the general park music around Calypso Quay and Amity Cove and the little interruptions by the director.
  • Was very pleased to hear that Asylum still had its amazing music
  • Loving the return of the flame throwers on Saw, and the 3 on Swarm's shop alongside the fire engine.
  • Inferno's mist was back and amazingly dense with the red lights shining through, had forgotten how great this effect was in the dark!
  • Had forgotten how amazing some of the rides are in the dark so was pleasantly surprised, especially by Saw.
  • Samurai was running brilliantly!

Disappointing:

• The roaming actors, great potential here so maybe they'll improve throughout the event.
  • Park wide theming- started fairly good in the entrance and Dome with the fake movie scenes but then it just ended.
  • X, with every other (open) ride getting their own theme (except Saw and Swarm) I was disappointed that this was still its club music. Whilst I love this music, it just didn't work and I'll be amazed if you can't hear it in the Cabin because you can hear it in Colossus' queue/station.
  • More confusing than disappointing but Swarm, Rush, X, and probably a few other rides have vanished off the park wide queue boards.

Overall a good night and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing it progress over the weeks and to try out the mazes.