Fright Nights 2013

Confuzzled

Ride staff have no actual power to remove guests from queues, indeed, they have to rely on either Team Leaders or Security to back them up in cases where things may begin to get out of hand (who are sometimes useless, an example from my Chessie days where we radioed in people due to a heated arguement building at Chips Ahoy ended up with us normal staff being closer than any TL/Security for some reason)...

For a ride staff member who may be by themselves on an attraction and not able to contact anyone else for assistance trying to stand up to a group of people who will intimidate in order to get their own way is more often than not more trouble than it's worth... Happens throughout the year on various rides at various parks, usually surrounding queue jumping because people don't do take kindly to being seen in the wrong even when they are (indeed, I had an incident on Smiler earlier this year involving a mum having rage at us for not letting her kids past because they had 'been to the toilet', although I doubt for 40 minutes)...

So for the average ride staff member with minimal power, it is a very difficult situation to handle when they cannot physically do anything to stop people being awful and intimidating...

Security vary, though usually on FN Thorpe get in extra to deal with the situation... Problem is the society we live in breeding contempt and dis-respect more than anything...

Usually telling people off about smoking in queues goes like this:

> Staff asks Guest to stop smoking...

> Guest kicks off about it...

> Staff member reiterates rules...

> Guest doesn't care and continues anyway/Stops smoking but then starts up again...

If the staff member has been there all year (or longer), I wouldn't be surprised if they just knew it wouldn't be worth the effort of the arguement... Such is the way of the world now...

Ride staff have no actual power to remove guests from queues

Ride staff have full discretion to remove anyone from queues, whether they're queue jumping, smoking, or causing any general issues. Same with refusing people on rides.

It's a "can't be arsed" attitude which leads to things not being done, not that they have no power. If they genuinely want to kick people out, they're able to do so.

That can hinder the entire attraction though. The amount of time wasted in trying to remove a queue jumper or smoker can bring an entire ride to a stand still especially if they refuse to leave the queue right up to the point they are at the ride platform and trying to get on the ride. Make announcements fine, but what then after that. Continue saying announcements?

I was a big believer in justice for everyone at say Fury but if a queue jumper was at the front of the queue, next to get on, I refuse him access and he won't go then everyone in the entire queue suffers because inevitably security won't be there right away when you make the phone/radio call*.

Is it worth holding up an entire ride, an entire queue line because someone is smoking. It's a dirty habit (or so I hear) but I don't think punishing hundreds of people because a smoker is smoking is worth the effort.

*Although pointing this out, there were many times when Fury did come to a stand still for precisely that reason.

Even with the most stubborn of guests, it's still taken me no longer than a couple of minutes to eject someone from a queueline.

Either I just get incredibly easy people and I'm made of steel, or it's that people are too scared or not authoritive enough to remove people. Presumably the latter. It's really not difficult.

Ha Theme parks and Sundays!

Saw similar at towers, they had a hell of a lot more security than usual which was good but saw various people causing trouble in queue lines, a member of staff did approach one guest asking them to put out their cigarette but they just blew the smoke in their face, they did run away when security come in though.

The worse part was at the arch ways to the towers, there was so many people there it was basically a crush and there was just 2 police stood there doing nothing to try and disperse the crowds a bit.

I'm so nervous about going in the mazes, I promised my friend I'd go in it, but I'm really scared I will get put at the front or back for Saw and The Asylum, is it likely I will? And will they split us up in MBV?!

On saw, its a free moving maze so there is no 'back' as such. We were at the back for asylum but asked to switch with the people infront of us so we were in the middle. However, the actors go for everyone equally as much so don't worry about where you are! In MBV, you may be split up along the way however if you link arms with your friend it will be ok. The only pitch black bit is in the tunnel and the rest you can pretty much see where your going! Don't worry, the mazes aren't too bad and when you come out you will start laughing. To be honest, after my first go, the mazes become more fun than scary (:

On saw, its a free moving maze so there is no 'back' as such. We were at the back for asylum but asked to switch with the people infront of us so we were in the middle. However, the actors go for everyone equally as much so don't worry about where you are! In MBV, you may be split up along the way however if you link arms with your friend it will be ok. The only pitch black bit is in the tunnel and the rest you can pretty much see where your going! Don't worry, the mazes aren't too bad and when you come out you will start laughing. To be honest, after my first go, the mazes become more fun than scary (:

oh I thought it was like a conga line

I'm so nervous about going in the mazes, I promised my friend I'd go in it, but I'm really scared I will get put at the front or back for Saw and The Asylum, is it likely I will? And will they split us up in MBV?!

I'm also a bit of a wimp in mazes but I do them anyway (often with my eyes closed). I've done saw alive back when it was an all year round attraction, and forced my friends to go in front and behind me so that I could hang on to their shoulders, close my eyes and shuffle through. It does work! Although to give to a work of warning, before you do that make sure your shoelaces are done up, and the actors tend to pick on the people who are more scared! Last fright nights was the first time I went through a whole maze with my eyes open, it was the passing, and I actually didnt find it as bad as I was expecting, so Id say go for it! This year I'm hoping to do all the mazes (fingers crossed I will be brave enough!) Especially looking forward to the asylum! (its fun to be terrified!) :D

On saw, its a free moving maze so there is no 'back' as such.

Saw Alive is hands on shoulders!

If you get at the front of the line, make your friend go at the front, and at the back if you are at the tail end.

I would recommend The Asylum as your first maze - it's by far the best (in my opinion) but is not the scariest.

My friend (who was so petrified of going in for years) really enjoyed it and came out laughing!

Saw Alive is hands on shoulders!

If you get at the front of the line, make your friend go at the front, and at the back if you are at the tail end.

I would recommend The Asylum as your first maze - it's by far the best (in my opinion) but is not the scariest.

My friend (who was so petrified of going in for years) really enjoyed it and came out laughing!

I was thinking of going in MBV because apparently that gets the biggest q's?!

Yes - I was petrified of doing the mazes (never really done them before) but decided to bite the bullet. You will come out absolutely smiling and laughing... start with SAW and ASYLUM as they're both hands-on-shoulders mazes, and then proceed to Cabin and then MBV.

Just keep telling yourselves they're just actors (which they are) and you'll still come out at the other end.

As with a rollercoaster, the longer you avoid doing them - the more scary they become! Once you've done three, you've done them all!

Enjoy!