The 'Definitely 100% Totally Going to Happen' London Resort

Liam T

I kind of feel sorry for Disneyland Paris if this gets built. They have finally gotten to a point where they get a bit of profit every now and then, yet a major competitor could turn up. A bit sucky really.... But yay new park!

Less than 3 hours on a not that expensive train door to door - it could actually do them good. Turn our corner of Europe into a theme park destination.

Busch Gardens make good trade off day trips from the main parks of of Florida, that's a similar time journey away.

I for one am going to keep a close eye on this - 20 mins away from where I live and 5 Mins away when I stay over at my dad's, the local press are praising it and it does already have a lot of backing locally. Those in the construction industry think it's extremely likely to be approved as the area it's being built in is in land that has had many proposed housing developments but have never come to be - so someone to come in and do the work for them will be a weight off their shoulders. It's also a much needed thing for that part of Kent - Excited much!

Disney park have survived with other theme parks adding themselves close by... I'm sure Paris (with it's potential for new investment with Disney buying it back a bit) will be better off to keep plugging away if this place happened...

I would rather dark rides too... American style rollercoasters are so over-rated it's not true really... Especially huge ones... And with the British weather, imagine having a park full of quality dark rides? Excellent stuff...

And just because it's huge, the park itself won't be, the whole area of 800 odd acres (or whatever it is) also include the waterpark and entertainment complex...

I will imagine it will be nicely produced and well run - ironically I went to Alton Towers with a group of uni friends last year and many of them overlooked the so-called issues we see as enthusiasts. Merlin do some shocking stuff sometimes, but overall I wouldn't say they were that bad. I have been to several parks this year which were run much worse.

It's actually quite amusing at times how going to a theme park with non enthusiasts can show how really picky and pedantic enthusiasts can be...

And I've had plenty of stuff I've ended up getting used to being pointed out as infuriating by non enthusiasts, but we digress. Competition I'm sure will be only healthy in pushing standards upwards.

Paramount Pictures have a crazy huge back catalogue, some of it could be very exciting if used well, although how much of it is actually wholly owned by Paramount I'm not sure, some of it might not be available to them.

A big concern for me with this sort of IP stuff though is how robust the legalities and security of it is. I don't know a lot about the distribution / ownership / copyrights system, but it sure as hell is complex. I'd hate to see another HardRock / FreeStyle Music Park situation, where so much effort is put into theme and experience which all has to be torn out when the relationship with the rights holder goes sour or Paramount withdraw (something they've done with parks many times). Paramount need to be committing to it financially to the extent they can't really let that happen, at the moment it seems they are merely allowing licence of their name and works.

Hard Rock Park's situation with the change of name/owner/etc was more down to be it being a complete and utter failure though, rather than Hard Rock just pulling out for the lols...

Looking at that list, perhaps a Dreamworks area would be likely, it depends on the distribution rights for stuff like this could be worked out, defo wouldn't be getting a Transformers based ride though, which is why we need a Star Trek ride... Aside from that I can't really see any other franchises jumping out at me that weren't already done at their original parks (Tomb Raider and Italian Job)...

Hard Rock Park's situation with the change of name/owner/etc was more down to be it being a complete and utter failure though, rather than Hard Rock just pulling out for the lols...

Indeed it was, but it was structured in such a way that Hard Rock could just remove themselves and their licences in the event of things not going to plan, and that is the problem with building a park under someone elses name.

If this was Paramount Park being built and operated by themselves failure would not be an option, as a licence holder only they could pull the plug with little or no hardship to themselves if this deal isn't just right. I'm sure and hopeful it can be done, but they better do it right.

Looking at that list, perhaps a Dreamworks area would be likely, it depends on the distribution rights for stuff like this could be worked out, defo wouldn't be getting a Transformers based ride though, which is why we need a Star Trek ride... Aside from that I can't really see any other franchises jumping out at me that weren't already done at their original parks (Tomb Raider and Italian Job)...

CONEHEADS! I WANT CONEHEADS!!!

Posted Image

Really, I do.

But as that will just be me I think there are are plenty of interesting options other than obvious Star Trek. At a glance I'd say War of the Worlds, Mission Impossible, Friday the 13th, Titanic, Alive, Pet Sematary, Hunt for Red October, Ghost, Top Gun (dueling wingrider!!), Days of Thunder could all work well. And of course all the kids stuff.