The 'Definitely 100% Totally Going to Happen' London Resort

Liam T

It's hard to say because Paramounts Physical developments are focused more to Murcia at the mo. Aswell as this the concept images have changed drastically each time a new one is updated. 'It will feature Europe’s largest indoor water park, theatres, live music venues, attractions, cinemas, restaurants, event space and hotels'. ~ Wikipedia.

The walk from Ebbsfleet is probably too long for some guests, being around a mile each way, so they will definitely install some kind of travel option besides walking. As to what is unclear yet though.

20 minute stroll, lazy buggers.

The Ebsfleet thing is one of the real massive positives of this plan. With trains from the doorstep of this to the doorstep of DLRP taking under 2 and a half hours it is absolutely realistic to see them as linked; I would expect to see a significant number of people from Europe and beyond to visit both as part of the same trip. From there it's less than an hour to both Thorpe and Chessington too, if they have any sort of sense Merlin would be laying on coaches from the Paramount accommodation if this ever does get built. This could end up being a real central tourist hub.

I was under the impression that Paramount Wonderland or whatever it ends up being called IS as it stands, due to go ahead.

Merlin are getting (and are renouned for getting) brands which are already popular and attaching them to a concept.

I sometimes wonder what those creative leads are actually doing, other than sitting in the staff canteen eavesdropping on any good ideas they may hear!

Paramount has more of a decent profile of IP's which they can attach to your average bog standard intamin launch and market as, example: "transformers-the ride" merlin CAN compete, but if they do, and in good time. Is another kettle of fish.

We all agree generally that a little competition will do the UK theme park industry a great deal of good!

• 1 month later...

That looks pretty awesome!

The new images reveal plans for Paramount-themed attractions including The Italian Job, Star Trek and Mission Impossible. - See more at: http://www.leisuremanagement.co.uk/detail.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&codeID=312392#sthash.gKlvxaRt.dpuf

Some interesting choices, not entirely sure what I think of Mission Impossible ride (or show / stunts maybe?), but the others have huge potential.

If this is really what they are aiming at it is going to include attractions on a scale that simply do not exist elsewhere in the UK currently. It'll be a real eye opener for the GP that don't know what theme parks can really be like, and might make some of the competition look a little bit weak, which can only be a good thing for getting serious development elsewhere. 

Big old update...

http://www.londonparamount.info/media/1022/paramount_full-set.pdf

Turns out the "Leisure Core" will consist of the park (presumably 6 themed areas) and a Citywalk style thing with a 2000 seat theatre, cinema, displays, shops and food... Will take up 45 hectares (111 acres) in total...

Also an indoor waterpark will also be built... Another important factor is that they've set aside land for future expansion...

Could be an interesting development, though I have a feeling they might also be going for some form of queueless system as a quote of "State of the art technology maximising visitor experience: shortening queues and increasing per hour activity", which could be ANYTHING... Hopefully that just means that they've visited Europa Park and decided that it's what they should follow...

12 major rides sounds interesting. Not sure if that comes under the other categories listed or separate but either way it seems promising. My only concern with it at the moment is the lack of room for expansion. The areas designated are not exactly large and I feel that the park could see the same fate as Thorpe or chessington not too long after it opens. However I am happy to see that the concept images still show a wooden coaster in the background. I know its only a concept image but I can always dream.

The important bit

The Resort will have over 50 exciting rides and attractions all themed around some of the most famous films, television programmes, games and other artistic works of our partners.

Attractions will include:
• Signature entertainment  shows and cultural events
• 12 major rides
• Water rides
• Family rides
• Adrenaline rides

The heart of the park will open to the public in Easter 2020, with additional rides and attractions scheduled to be unveiled soon after in the following years.

Does sound very ambitious.

This sounds really exciting, loving the look of that Startrek coaster.

I bet this place will wipe the floor with all our other parks, even Alton Towers.

Apart from Thorpe's dark ride and Dreamland, there isn't much to be excited really in the uk themepark industry, not to mention Chessie & Legoland are clogged for development and Lightwater, Flantasy & Pleasure island are really struggling currently.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks unlikely that the Beeb will be letting Merlin have their paws on anymore IPs...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11284388/BBC-to-open-theme-park-to-exploit-Doctor-Who-and-Top-Gear-brands.html

In actual terms (rather than the Telegraph's incorrect assumption of the park being BBC in its entirity), Paramount Park have got BBC on board to use some of their IPs... So we might just see a Dr Who themed ride in the end...

Press Release from Paramount as below:

A landmark agreement has been struck today that could see some of BBC Worldwide’s biggest brands feature prominently in a new entertainment resort near London supported by leading Hollywood studio Paramount Pictures.

London Resort Company Holdings (LRCH), the company behind the multi-billion pound London Paramount Entertainment Resort in North Kent, has signed a Development Agreement with the commercial arm of the BBC to feature their intellectual property at the resort alongside leading Hollywood studio Paramount Pictures.

The partnership agreement would mean that some of the best loved and celebrated programmes and characters to appear on British TV and radio in recent decades could be brought to life at a new world-class entertainment destination.

The Development Agreement is the first step towards a formal partnership between BBC Worldwide and the London Paramount Entertainment Resort, which is currently earmarked for an Easter 2020 opening date. LRCH already has a separate agreement in place with Paramount Pictures, the oldest major Hollywood studio in existence, which will allow the resort to access over 3,000 films including iconic movies such as Mission: Impossible, Star Trek, The Godfather and The Italian Job.

David Testa, Director of LRCH, said:

"We are delighted to bring the world's leading public service broadcaster on board this project. The BBC has played an instrumental role in shaping the British entertainment industry for nearly a century, creating some of the most iconic and cherished characters on TV and radio. It seems only right therefore that its programmes will be present at the new London Paramount Entertainment Resort, which will combine the glamour of Hollywood with the best of British culture.”

Stephen Davies, Director Live Events, BBC Worldwide, said:

“We’re always looking for opportunities to extend fans’ enjoyment of their favourite shows and the idea behind this resort is a really exciting way of celebrating the very special place the BBC has in British culture.”

Mike Bartok, Executive Vice President Parks & Resorts, Paramount Pictures,said:

"It is outstanding to be working with a globally recognised brand with such a rich, respected history. We see London Paramount as a pioneer in the delivery of an outstanding partnership entertainment experience."

As that is a self congratulatory release, designed no doubt to lure investors, it will be making the most of the details of this deal. There is one important word missing; 'exclusively'. If the deal they had stuck prevented the BBC selling the IP's elsewhere you can be pretty sure it would say so, I wouldn't say it discounts other developments elsewhere. This reads to me more like an agreement in principle rather than an actual deal, which would make sense considering the park is far from a certainty. The BBC would be nuts to hold off on all other potential revenue for so long on the off chance this thing actually goes ahead.