The 'Definitely 100% Totally Going to Happen' London Resort

Liam T

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Universal Studios opened with no coasters, then Woody Woodpecker which is just a cred and in 2004 The Mummy which is a highly immersive dark ride coaster. The star of Harry Potter World is Forbidden Journey, Dragon Challenge never gets a queue much longer than 10 minutes (and it's not because of a huge throughput, FJ is capable of 2056 if ran flat out with no delays).

The stars of the Disney parks are dark rides, stuff like Snow White, Its a Small World, Tower of Terror. Whilst roller coasters for many might be seen as the defining factor of a theme park, there is only so much you can do with them whilst the potential with dark rides is so much more!

I recommend having a look at the Top100 on theme park tourist and seeing how readers of that site rate rides and how the large majority are the classic, highly themed dark rides. This country doesn't need big coasters in a park, then we'll just end up with big lumberrson coasters that meander around. This country needs highly immersive experiences in rides, dining, shopping etc to rejuvenate the theme park over in the UK.

^ But then Hex and Sub Terra don't have the queues that The Smiler and Nemesis do. And Hex is a solid attraction.

Thing is, while I like dark rides, I bet if you asked 1000 people whether they'd be interested in a 'theme park' with no roller coasters, most people would say no in this country. And I know people would visit Paramount for other types of entertainment, but the words 'theme park' mean 'roller coasters' to most people, so you're setting them up for sadness when they arrive and there's only simulators and dark rides in (possibly) well themed sheds.

But I guess we don't know what this park will have, if it even happens at all.

Double post but a different topic...

On the Alton Towers and Thorpe Park twitter pages, they're pushing a #MerlinRules tag. I know it's just fun marketing, but do you think maybe they're subtly reminding people about how "great" their rides will always be over any other business?

Seems a tad early.

Alton and Thorpe seem to have 'Twitter wars' over their rides every once in a while.  I guess using '#MerlinRules' could remind people that they're both Merlin parks and are linked, so it works well.

Don't really think it's linked to Paramount Park just yet to be honest; as you say, just a tad early. :P

I theme park technically is simply a Themed Park...it does not actually have any coaster or attraction, but an experiences of different themes...to be exact...but we adopted the idea of rides...because of Mr Walter Disney (who sadly gets mentioned very rarely) that we think of Theme Parks with coasters, rides and shows...but in actual fact it is simply the theming.

I am very pesimistic about this Paramount Park, I do not believe much will happen for many many years, or if it will even happen at all. All is speculation at the moment. What it will offer is something of the Harry Potter Studios (on a larger scale), combined probably with Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi. 

What Paramount will be offering is something totally different to a Thorpe Park or Alton Towers...and irrelevant how good Paramount park will be, the novelty will wear off quicker than an established Merlin based theme park. It will most likely serve the same function as the Harry Potter Studios...most will only visit once, maybe twice, but three times really may be pushing it. (Obviously some people have been more, but on the whole...I use the word again...the average person probably will not return, because most Dark Ride Experiences are not Re-ride worthy in the public eye, in comparison to a Roller Coaster or larger attractions. 

I theme park technically is simply a Themed Park...

Thanks, genius. We know what the  words 'theme' and 'park' mean, but the term 'theme park' has taken on a meaning beyond that and it is bloody obvious they're using the term as it is generally understood.

because of Mr Walter Disney (who sadly gets mentioned very rarely) 

Nope, never heard of him.  :rolleyes:

What Paramount will be offering is...

YOU DON'T KNOW. None of us do, and the conclusions you come to in writing it off are therefore nonsense. Yes, I'm sure they're planning to build a park none will want to return to. Just like Universal Studios hav..... oh.

Aaand my point about people ripping peoples posts apart is loud and clear right here...Especially as they quote extracts to completely contradict what others say. 

If I don't know...as you so BOLDLY put it...why the hell do we even have this forum discussing a park that is not in any existence or has yet to even have any plans of any proper description. I am sick and tiered of people on here assuming the other is thick. 

I simply mentioned the Theme Park Comment because many were complaining about a Theme Park not being a theme park without a coaster...and I did not agree with that statement! 

I have seen the likes of Dreamland Margate falter to the ground, hence I do not see why Paramount will not follow suit until I see a JCB on site starting the trenches. 

I theme park technically is simply a Themed Park...it does not actually have any coaster or attraction, but an experiences of different themes...to be exact...but we adopted the idea of rides...because of Mr Walter Disney (who sadly gets mentioned very rarely) that we think of Theme Parks with coasters, rides and shows...but in actual fact it is simply the theming.

I am very pesimistic about this Paramount Park, I do not believe much will happen for many many years, or if it will even happen at all. All is speculation at the moment. What it will offer is something of the Harry Potter Studios (on a larger scale), combined probably with Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi. 

What Paramount will be offering is something totally different to a Thorpe Park or Alton Towers...and irrelevant how good Paramount park will be, the novelty will wear off quicker than an established Merlin based theme park. It will most likely serve the same function as the Harry Potter Studios...most will only visit once, maybe twice, but three times really may be pushing it. (Obviously some people have been more, but on the whole...I use the word again...the average person probably will not return, because most Dark Ride Experiences are not Re-ride worthy in the public eye, in comparison to a Roller Coaster or larger attractions. 

I've been stalking this topic for a while and watching things unfold. Though none of us known for certain what Paramount will bring, I thought it might be like Universal Studios with mostly indoor attractions, which is best suited for our climate. We don't have many dark rides and our weather is unpredictable, so having a USO-type park would greatly benefit the UK.

That said, I think it would be great if the park were like Islands of Adventure with a good amount of indoor and outdoor attractions, which is what things look to be like from this plan. Secondly, I don't know that plan is just a rough plan or one detailing what exactly they want to build.

WTF? @ 3rd paragraph:

I disagree with your comment about Paramount UK being similar to HP Studios, as HP Studios isn't an actual theme park but just a BTS tour. "Dark rides not be re-ride worthy", is crap because people flock from all around the world for Universal Studios Orlando and there are Americans with Annual Passes, who go several times a year and we all would go several times a year if we had the money/time/teleporter/Nightcrawler abilities.

Aaand my point about people ripping peoples posts apart is loud and clear right here...Especially as they quote extracts to completely contradict what others say. 

If I don't know...as you so BOLDLY put it...why the hell do we even have this forum discussing a park that is not in any existence or has yet to even have any plans of any proper description. I am sick and tiered of people on here assuming the other is thick. 

I simply mentioned the Theme Park Comment because many were complaining about a Theme Park not being a theme park without a coaster...and I did not agree with that statement! 

I have seen the likes of Dreamland Margate falter to the ground, hence I do not see why Paramount will not follow suit until I see a JCB on site starting the trenches. 

I have better hopes for Paramount UK than Dreamland Margate, a park which is inferior to Paramount UK and one, that I can see people being more enthusiastic about.

We're discussing this future theme park and you're right to disagree about there not being any rollercoasters. But you're wrong to say that Paramount UK, will not be return-worthy like Harry Potter Studios.

Don't forget there will be restaurants, gyms, entertainment complex and other facilities, which will boost their chances of success.

Good night!

On the whole 'What makes a theme park' thing - there's a difference between how something was once defined, and how it is now perceived.  

Whilst a theme park could crudely be defined as a plot of land that has different themed ideas and experiences.  You could say that Harry Potter Studios is a theme park.  But does anyone say it's a theme park?  No one that I've heard at least!

These days, when people here the words 'theme park', they'll think of some places with (primarily) roller coasters, along with other rides which are designed to scare/thrill/entertain you.  An amusement park with themed rides.  They won't think of just a place that has themed areas.  

And that's the thing, with things like 'theme park' (and 'funfair', 'amusement park' and basically everything in the entertainment industry), they're going to be defined by the public.  If the public define a theme park as a place with roller coasters, rides, etc. that has theming, then that's what the industry will have to use - if they're going to create a theme park, it will have to satisfy those needs!  Once upon a time, a theme park may have been very different, but that's not what it is now.

The IPS probably have a huge impact on why dark rides are so popular stateside, especially given how huge they are (Harry Potter, Disney), plus they are renowned for being known for these type of rides, where you have parks here which aren't known for these experiences, especially when Thorpe was advertising themselves as the nations thrill capital which screams roller coasters and thrill rides. Because it's being created around a company that manufactures and disributes films, hopefully it will be seen like Universal and not just be recognised for coasters like other UK counterparts.

...as you so BOLDLY put it...why the hell do we even have this forum discussing a park that is not in any existence...

...I am sick and tiered of people on here assuming the other is thick.

Sorry if you don't like the response, but if you are going to post in such a patronising, 'know it all' and abrasive kind of way that's the sort response you'll get, both here on the internet and in the real world.

Discussing it is great. Having someone state as fact what the park will be and then stating why it will fail with some more (I'm quite certain wrong) opinion as fact is less so.

Assuming the other is thick? What like thinking it would be necessary to explain to people what the words 'theme' and 'park' mean? Or that Walt Disney had a little something to do with theme parks? We must all be real dim, huh?

Now that's a decent point, a discussion to be had (but look back at what you wrote first time, it's nothing like the same thing!).

I'd say you can have a theme park without a coaster, but it would be a very bad idea. Coasters are an intrinsic part of peoples expectations at a theme park, they'd surely be disappointed not to find one? And I'd say a place without rides at all can not be a theme park, that is what it means to people despite the dictionary definitions of the words taken alone.

Can anyone find an attraction in the UK marketing itself as a theme park without any rides at all? Or even without a single roller coaster? Would be interesting to know.

I saw Dreamland falter, I suspect you were barely born when it did! What you are seeing now is it being born again, it should have a great future ahead of it once they get it open. They've found themselves a decent heritage niche to work in and they've already done an incredible amount of work on the restoration; things appear to be going to plan. I'm a lot less confident Paramount will ever happen, I think the chances of it going up on anything like it's current planned scale are tiny, but I live in hope! It's probably the best chance we've had of a big new park opening since Micky chose the frogs over us.

Dreamland is also a completely different kettle of fish... Especially given it's 'falter' was mostly down to dodgy businessmen...

Found a pic of the planned Paramount Park for Spain btw:

Paramount-Park-Alhama-Murcia-Spain-011.j

That's a theme park, and is potentially what we in the UK could get... But we might not... Paramount might design a park based upon our crappy normal weather, perhaps even providing a park that is able to open all year around... But we might not get even that...

^ Well from what I've seen from Paramount Park in Spain over the past months, it would be fantastic!

I really think something like that would work in the UK, too. The Spanish park will have, for example, a rapids ride and a Vekoma Mine Train. We could have them! And the artwork that I've seen that depicts those two rides is fantastic.

Hopefully if this park goes ahead, we'll get something like that. I wish they'd look at Universal Orlando, and see that IOA, Universal Studios and CityWalk together work well.

If you want most answers to all your problems...look no further...http://www.attractionsmanagement.com/detail.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&codeID=310537

And not just this but the whole site. It might give you a better idea in the direction theme parks are going in. 

That is one example though, there's not much on that site that also backs up the claim you're making (not that I know what it actually is tbh)...

For that Noah Ark place, there's also a few 'traditional' theme parks being built across the world... Hell even Poland opened a new one recently... 'Theme Parks' is quite often a misnomer when used in press situations as well (Harry Potter Theme Park being used a lot when Hogsmeade was being built at Florida)...

Themed attractions and Themed parks will both continue to exist as separate entities on the whole...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe theres 2 models, and universals one may be slightly different?

Anyway, here's a little fact..

Crossing Dartford Bridge, I've been looking the wrong bloody way.

It's fascinating to think a park will be built in one area, but actually it'll be build even closer, and in a much nicer area. The parks land plot is huge, and has some really good transport connections, having the Depot for Ebbsfleet international, about a mile away, near Where the park entrance will be. As well as this, It's about 500m from Swanscombe station, a kilometre from Ebbsfleet international, And a mile away from the A2! Talk about easy access!

Currently the site has a port on it and I believe (on google earth, unless the picture is ridiculously out of date) some construction on the east corner of it. 

The site is 3km from The Dartford Crossing, and all the hotels there. 

I'll be following progress very closely as I'm very excited by the project!

Anywho, here's a couple pictures of the site.

The site:

article_27ff1e9b9dc98d73_1349691475_9j-4

article-2214560-1568C214000005DC-437_634

Unfortunately the concept images showed that they would be using all of that land which raises a few concerns about expansion but hopefully they can utilise the space well and not just fill it with hotels and imax cinemas. Also were they not going to add a monorail from ebsfleet international to the park to make it even more easy access.