AstroDan

Awesome news coming out of AT today!

From Towersstreet news:

Alton Towers have today revealed they plan to construct 'themed lodges' as part of a major expansion of the resort hotels, for the 2014 season.

With the news coming as a surprise to many, they will be built on the meadow adjacent to the Alton Towers Hotel, land which has been previously used for scare mazes and overflow car parking.

The news, which broke from the staff newsletter 'The Pulse', has come at a time when interest in theme park developments is already sky high, with Scarefest underway, Fireworks coming soon and the £18million investment in 2013 rollercoaster, Secret Weapon Seven.

With this combined investment, it would seem that Alton Towers' position as the UK's most popular theme park resort is assured for years to come, and we look forward to bringing you more news on this exciting development very soon!

You can read more on our forums here.

http://www.towersstreet.com/news/view/?article=1350588946

Warning: This post contains memes.

Q) What prompted the decision to halt the progress of the 250-room hotel construction outlined on the 2010-2016 MTDP?

A) The permanent hotel is an ongoing project and we are working with the local authorities to ensure it is moving along as quick as possible. We're still very excited about this project.

Q) Why have you chosen to install these facilities as opposed to say, leaving the area unused until such time sufficient funds/interest are available to build the previously planned hotel?

A)There is a demand from our guests for on-site accommodation and the Snoozebox will meet this demand whilst also allowing the Park to compete with other theme parks to ensure a sustainable economic future by testing the market prior to a substantial permanent investment.

Q) Why do you believe these Snooze Boxes to be a valid measure of interest in a permanent hotel, when they don't appear to fit the same criteria nor appeal to the same clientele who might require a larger, fully-equipped hotel facility?

A) While a higher number of the Snoozebox guests will no doubt be teenagers, we are still targeting the accommodation at the same guests as we would a permanent hotel (outlined above). The only additional people we would be targeting with a permanent hotel would be local residents who could use the hotel facilities (which the Snoozebox understandably won't have) and companies who would use conference facilities.

So Alton gets this with their £20M coaster...:

Posted Image

And Forp get this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

:glare:

An excellent point, but as stated in the question above, Thorpe also aim for families and business visits with regards to the demographics the Snoozeboxes are aimed at. And not to mention, Thorpe state that the Snoozebox is a sustainable alternative to test the market for the demand for the hotel before they build the thing, meaning that they went for this option because it was cheaper. I'm either too tired to think or just being plain ass dumb but why not invest more in Thorpe seeing as Alton already have a hotel?

Just because they have different target markets doesn't mean Thorpe should make a hotel out of shipping containers, its would be like sleeping in a tiny, cramped, warehouse!

They're obviously aiming the Snoozebox at teenagers to crash in after the many nightclub events they will be hosting next year. The Snoozebox and this new Alton Towers accommodation have two completely different uses and I think it's unfair to compare them.

On the other hand, back on topic, these lodges do look very nice! Exciting times :D

An excellent point, but as stated in the question above, Thorpe also aim for families and business visits with regards to the demographics the Snoozeboxes are aimed at. And not to mention, Thorpe state that the Snoozebox is a sustainable alternative to test the market for the demand for the hotel before they build the thing, meaning that they went for this option because it was cheaper. I'm either too tired to think or just being plain ass dumb but why not invest more in Thorpe seeing as Alton already have a hotel?

Whilst I think they are to test the market, they will also help thorpe in the short term with the Club nights, opening a full scale hotel next year would be impossible, Snoozebox means they can provide accommodation for the club nights (which sell out each and every time) from next year and rake in 3 years or what ever of that whilst going ahead and building the full hotel if they feel its needed.

The thing with the Snoozebox is this is not the Thorpe Park Hotel. It is a temporary installation until the proper hotel is built. If of course the proper hotel was going to be a mess of shipping containers and half arsed effort then I could understand the hate, but it isn't.

The log cabins are lovely, as they should be for something that is permanant and staying around for a very long time. They just need to bolster the resorts entertainment options to go along with it.

Concept Image:

Posted Image

Very Hobbit!

Very Center Parcs, in concept if not style. Fantastic idea - the sort of thing I can see myself using, unlike a container for four. I hope it does come with some new entertainment / eating / drinking options, again in a Center Pars way, making it like a little village and worthy of a good few days rather than the single night I'll currently consider.

I hope they use it as an excuse to upgrade the pool too, which has always felt like a massive missed opportunity to me.

They're building on the grounds rarely used, extending their onsite overnight capacity which is regularly at 100%, and going towards their long term aim at longer stays, and capturing the guests who like to visit the Peak district (of which towers is literally on the border of) as well.

Sensible, and glad that they've secured funding even after this tough year!

IF Alton are struggling to fill their current hotels, this it is simply down to price. I have wanted to stay so many times, but it is 2-4 times more expensive that a Premier in down the road. So to fill the rooms, they only need to adjust the price.

I'm all for this extra development, anything which adds to the resort, gives more variety and makes Merlin more money can only be a good thing.