AstroDan

They've done £99 rooms, they're doing them this scarefest. Some days they're not filling - and £99, including park tickets, is incredibly good value for money.

It's down to the economy, rather than long term issues. They'll pick up once economy picks up, and this time they'll have extra accomodation to provide for the extra people. Very good planning!

• 3 weeks later...

Really think the money wld be better spent in the theme park itself. Outside of school hols and scarefest I don't think there will be the demand for more accom in addition to the hotels.

They are spending in the theme park. 2013 will see the £18m coaster, and 2014 a major IP family area.

The next 2 seasons should be the best in a long, long time for Alton Towers.

:)

Fair enough, but will still prefer a decent new flat but as someone who never uses the hotels I guess I cld b slightly biased. Artist impression looks good though and shouldn't blight the landscape if it turns out like that.

Scarefest should b interesting though with another couple hundred complimentry fastrack knocking about after the recent issues (as you know only too well having raised the topic)

Really think the money wld be better spent in the theme park itself. Outside of school hols and scarefest I don't think there will be the demand for more accom in addition to the hotels.

You know I think you're right sir. The park are just pissing money up a tree with this project, they have literally no idea what they are doing. At All. :closedeyes:

Hotels, apart from this year, are usually fully booked throughout the season. Sure, they give discounts, but it's still a hefty profit in the making.

They know exactly what they're doing - and to have theming like this has actually surprised me. I know they're aiming for the multi-night visitors, those which'll also visit the nearby Peak District and stuff. If they end up being anything like this, well that's just impressive.

I wanna be a hobbit.

The capacities all start at 4 person again. Why can't they build 'couples' size accommodation so we are not always paying over the odds for two beds we are not using?

Does look good though. Wonder if they'll market them as one/two night stays like they do with the hotels, or more of a holiday weekend / midweek option like Centerparcs.

The hotels are a very smart move IMO. You can spend a few million on a flat ride which requires staff and maintenance, which all costs and doesn't bring that many people in, or you have the lodges, which guests pay you for and as they are staying longer, they will eat at your restaurants and give you more money.

Over time these will pay for them self and make the park more profitable.

If the 4 person "holes" are anything like the Lookout Lodges at Whipsnade (they look very similar) then really they only sleep 2 adults and 2 children. It would be incredibly cramped for 4 adults! I stayed in one earlier in the year and it was certainly cosy but you had to walk to a toilet/shower block if you needed facilities. http://www.zsl.org/shop/experiences/camping/lookout-lodge-accommodation,47,GAL.html

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

New news about the lodges!

Resubmitted a planning permission application with some slight changes:

ZatnVKJ.png

The new development is proposed to include:

• 61 double lodges (compared with 150 lodges on previous applications)
  • 10 treehouses
  • Play areas (9 were proposed in the last application)
  • A restaurant
  • Parking facilities
  • Associated service buildings

Apparently one of the reasons it initially failed was a local group worried about JCB noise pollution reaching the lodgings and hence would affect their manufacturing processes, shows how much JCB affects the local area...

Good. Where was the old proposed location on that map?

I still think the increase in accommodation needs to be matched with an increase in things to do, one extra restaurant doesn't seem enough. Hopefully it could lead to some evening water park opening, which would improve the resort hugely for me.

If I recall the main idea of the lodge hotels is to provide alternative style accommodation for those who aren't fully into all that theme park guff and wanna go see the local area...

I think the hotels during the busy season are quite busy as well, and this would be well welcomed if it becomes the 'cheap' hotel as it lacks the 'facilities'...

Hopefully the next step would be an entertainment complex...

EDIT - Link to the planning site - http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=51414

If I recall the main idea of the lodge hotels is to provide alternative style accommodation for those who aren't fully into all that theme park guff and wanna go see the local area...

I think the hotels during the busy season are quite busy as well, and this would be well welcomed if it becomes the 'cheap' hotel as it lacks the 'facilities'...

Hopefully the next step would be an entertainment complex...

EDIT - Link to the planning site - http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=51414

this definitely won't be the cheaper accomodation, it looks like each lodge will have more space than traditional hotel rooms, with a more seperate area for the kids to sleep in. The tree houses will have four bedrooms too. These will all be priced higher than the Splash Landings hotel rooms.

• 1 month later...

From TTF:

The Alton Towers Resort has today been given the go ahead to build all new accommodation ready for spring 2015. The Enchanted Village will contain 120 fairytale lodges, alongside 5 unique tree houses. Also featuring in the new area will be children’s play areas and a new themed restaurant featuring family entertainment.

The Staffordshire Moorlands Planning Committee met on Thursday 1st May, where it was recommended the plans be given approval, paving the way for the resort to begin making more detailed plans. The committee noted a number of factors in favour of the development including the benefits for local tourism and the fact that this new development will be ‘distinctive and unique’ , offering something different to what is currently available at the resort. There were some minor concerns regarding the environmental and conservation impact of the new development due to Alton Towers’ location within a conservation area alongside listed and historical buildings, concerns which are common with many applications within the resort. English Heritage Also voiced some reservations regarding the locations of the treehouses and the location of the lodges so close to the park.

Some conditions have been placed on the approval of the plans to preserve various historical features of the Deer Park which lies alongside the site. These include restoration/conservation of the Deer Park wall. The resort will be required to install sound insulation into the lodges, treehouses and restaurant to minimise any noise pollution emanating from the site. Noise limiters will also be required to be installed on any amplified sound systems used within the development. Any heavy building equipment will also be required to have its noise limited as much as possible during construction. The resort will be required to submit a detailed lighting plan to make sure there is minimal impact on nocturnal wildlife. Other conditions relate to the sufficient drainage of the new area, preservation of the ecology of the site, and ensuring that the construction of the area cause minimum disruption. The exact materials used for the outer facing walls of the buildings are also subject to approval before installation.

Located in the woodland next to the current Alton Towers Hotel, the new accommodation will have a fully immersive fairytale theme allowing guests the perfect opportunity to escape on their short break.

This is great news for the park and even more accommodation will be at the park!

enchanted-village-03.jpg

enchanted-village-02.jpg

10253963_535972293180546_630313356428067

In a statement released today, Mark Kerrigan, development director at Alton Towers Resort comments:

“We are delighted to have been given the go-ahead on the Alton Towers Enchanted Village. The new accommodation will further enhance our position as a short break destination and also provide significant opportunities for the local area. We have worked incredibly hard in recent years to grow tourism in Staffordshire and are extremely excited about bringing this new concept to life over the coming months.”

Marketing for the new accommodation has already been launched, with the resort promoting the new accommodation on their website offering people the chance to sign up for a mailing list for future updates.

This is great IMO!!