Park Operations

Daniel.S313

Flailing and panic around wasps actually makes things worse...

They're not interested in humans unless angry, and most of the time in the park they're just after sweeties, so if they come near you, ignore them...

Tell the wasps that, they were born with "a chip on their thorax!" at least the one that stung me will die, as it left it's sting and sac in my arm.

Oh gawd....WASPS!!! They need to get more of those wasp catcher things at Thorpe - especially around the food outlets. I was flapping around and screaming last Saturday when a herd of them (ok, slight exaggeration) came towards myself and the others I was with. I don't like killing anything (including flies or spiders) but wasps need to just naff off.

The place is infested, everyone in the queue lines(mainly detonator, swarm, nemesis inferno and vortex) were trying to get away from wasps! Loads of people were dropping drinks capsules on the floor to try and get rid of them :L. I have to admit, I was faffing about a bit aswell and kept trying to run away in the queue lines from them when there was no where to run :P

There's been an accident on the M25 which is causing extreme traffic congestion and long tailbacks around the local area. So if you're at the Park today, don't rush off and get stuck in traffic.

We're keeping Vortex and Depth Charge open until 9pm tonight and have a bar and BBQ open so you can beat the queues and chill out with dinner and a drink. Have a safe journey home everyone.

Good work Thorpe.

I think Thorpe gets far too much stick sometimes! Stuff like this (yes it was already happening but who actually knows about it?) shows that they keep there eye on the ball and are willing to give guests a better experience. Quite a few times this year they've let guests who have left and are queuing throughout the car park re enter for a drink in the Dome. They also extend opening times when it's needed. I also like how they take the stick on FB and respond to it unlike other parks!

Once again, a great move Thorpe!

I think Thorpe gets far too much stick sometimes! Stuff like this (yes it was already happening but who actually knows about it?) shows that they keep there eye on the ball and are willing to give guests a better experience. Quite a few times this year they've let guests who have left and are queuing throughout the car park re enter for a drink in the Dome. They also extend opening times when it's needed. I also like how they take the stick on FB and respond to it unlike other parks!

Once again, a great move Thorpe!

Just like how thorpe are pushing and pushing to keep slammer open :)

I discovered something yesterday. The entrance to the park is currently dire.

Now, I've praised the entrance in the past. I've always felt that it was a great piece of inadvertent magic; crossing a bridge to an island where you can almost escape reality and, recently, find yourself landing into an island of thrills.

But yesterday, that 'magic' wasn't there. When the barriers opened, there was the manic rush which the entrance just can't deal with these days. The AP turnstiles specifically are painfully slow to get through. With the new security check system, I have to say that as I was going through the turnstiles, and just about hearing the pop music come out of what sounded like a broken speaker, I felt like I was entering a dingy nightclub where everyone was just trying to rush to the nearest bar...

In the past, I've been able to over-look the sellers of drinks capsules, photopasses and such. However, at the end of the bridge, there was two drink capsule units positioned which created a nasty bottleneck (the second of the bridge thanks to the security checks). Then, there was a guy standing in the middle of the remaining space, screaming and shouting about Reserve n Ride, trying to give out leaflets to no avail. Felt like I was in Staines highstreet trying to get past the Big Issue woman really.

I don't know if things were made worse due to the countless people trying, and failing, to give out information about Reserve n Ride, but the whole entrance to the park felt horrid. I remember reading on the Questions to TP bit that the entrance could be changed next season - and that's not a moment too soon...

With the new security check system, I have to say that as I was going through the turnstiles, and just about hearing the pop music come out of what sounded like a broken speaker, I felt like I was entering a dingy nightclub where everyone was just trying to rush to the nearest bar...

^ 100% this.

Thorpe's entrance has never really been 'beautiful' as such - not like Alton Towers and (to an extent) Chessington. It's always been a bit rough around the edges. But there used to be an odd magic atmosphere around there, I think the old theme music helped. Also I think there was a lot of nostalgia involved as well tbh.

You're right about the nightclub entrance thing - nobody wants to be there, they want to get past it as soon as possible and forget all about it! Yeah it serves its purpose, but is's shoddy.

I hope they do a good job of the entrance soon. Bring back that atmosphere they had a couple of years ago. You just couldn't beat the entrance music at the start of the day, and the end of day theme at the end </3

I still love the single bridge in and out though <3

It's the problem with having old infrastructure not designed for the modern crowds...

Expand the bridge, refurb the entrance and dome, make it look less messy with hoardes of metal barriers... Simple things, but will make it look a lot more nicer...

As for the Thorpe getting stick, they got the stick they deserved with their awful operations and general atmosphere in the past... This year that's changing... Shows the difference a knowledgable marketing team can make to a park...

Thorpes current entrance is certainly in need of revamp.

The front entrance is swarming with crowds and everything is congested around the booths and turnstiles as there seems to be battle these days at the turnstiles. Thought the entrance had a minor revamp a few years ago, I do think it is in need of a fairly major facelift. This may involve pushing he entrance out slightly further and slightly altering the car park layout with more booths, a new pass building and extended ticket collection too.

The turnstile area along with the bridges could be widened too so it can take the crowds easier too. The dome can stay, for now any way and also because of its values to the park. In terms as an entrance, I did work quite well in the old days as a world to a magical island (in the pre-Tussaud days) but I don't think the entrance has justified the current Thorpe in its current shape for the last 4/5 years.

Compared to the other parks, it is probably the most in need of a major entrance facelift as it can't handle the crowds it receives nowadays. Towers is perhaps the only park currently with an entrance that is fulfilling its requirement whilst Chessingtons & Legos do have their share of issues but are tolerable at the moment.

The problem is it is a free for all when those gates open, what they need to do is let guests in slowly or in batches.

It would be good if pass holders could get in earlier, even if it is 10-15 mins earlier. Put on some ERT for pass holders and those who book on-line.

The other big problem, which Thorpe can't help and this is the guests fault is that most of their guests have no manners at all, they are all out for themselves and will queue jump and push in and not care about anyone else.

The best day I had at Thorpe for guest interaction and friendliness and guests who behaved and had manners and did not queue jump was the Annual Pass holders day earlier in the year.

• 4 weeks later...

MOD EDIT - Split from derailed Saw thread.

There were people using fast track and they just sent them up the other bit of queue inside the building... I must say it was cheeky, the queue was advertised as 45mins and had someone out the front selling fast track, when intact we queued about 20mins, not much less than the people who had used fast track as they let a few in at a time, which I though was very unfair on people using fast track and a money making scheme by Thorpe, although the queue line was correct and no one was selling fast tracks when we went on it a second time a bit later.

Edited by pluk
moved posts

There were people using fast track and they just sent them up the other bit of queue inside the building... I must say it was cheeky, the queue was advertised as 45mins and had someone out the front selling fast track, when intact we queued about 20mins, not much less than the people who had used fast track as they let a few in at a time, which I though was very unfair on people using fast track and a money making scheme by Thorpe, although the queue line was correct and no one was selling fast tracks when we went on it a second time a bit later.

It isn't a money making scheme, the department responsible for fastrack do not work together with Rides & Attractions.

I meant it how it's a coincidence that the queue line was stating 45 mins when it was more like 20 - the person selling fast tracks would have known this, so therefore is willingly selling fast tracks next to an incorrect queue time?..

Other than going into the actual queueline and looking how long it is, how would they know how long the queue is?

You can see the queue from saw entrance... And all the extra bit by the queue line shop was closed off, I could see it wasn't very long.

But anyway I buy fast tracks and am happy with it as it does bring money into the park... But under circumstances with someone stood out the front with a small queue just isn't right!

Another person notices it. More people put their fingers in their ears and go La La La.

No one cares what department or wrong calculation it is down to. Thorpe as a business are doing this all the time it seems, I don't go a lot but I see it consistently when I do, as do others. Do I hear watchdog calling?

Sort it out. Play fair.