Park Operations

Daniel.S313

The problem was to do with bottlenecks when leaving the park; nothing to do with fast track tickets. However I was offered some free ones, I'm gunna use them and so are many other people every day, me accepting them cannot be brought into question when you are now bringing in a different problem and when so many other people do it. This system, as much as some want it to will most likely never close as Merlin must gain a lot of money from it, I have never bought them or ever will; however me accepting them will not change the queues in the car park.

The point is, this is typical Merlin.

You complain, they don't do anything more than give a 'standard apology', and bung Fastrack tickets at you to make everything feel better. And we all know how much of an issue Fastrack can be.

I remember in 2012 when I complained about the ratio of Fastrack guests to ordinary guests being let into Experiment 10 (30 Fastrack guests to 0 normal queue at one point). Nothing was written down and they simply said 'it shouldn't be like that', and I had 10 Fastrack tickets offered to me...

I understand that this is what Merlin do, but seriously, unless you are a user on here or talk to people who know this is a long term problem then why would this not make it better? Whether it's true or not they pass on your complaint, tell you what they are currently doing to try and prevent this happening again and offer you some compensation. For a family I'm sure this is a particularly attractive offer as it satisfies most of your needs for just writing an email, you feel like you are being listened to, you feel they are trying to fix the issue, and you get something from them that you would normally pay for. To you that might not seem good enough but to most customers it does as they will see it as some freebies. I admit I don't agree that the car park should still have these problems which is why I voiced my opinion, if you are unhappy with your response just continue to talk to them, I've always found them to be open to communication.

The problem was bottlenecks in the car park though...

Have the park done anything to solve it?

If not, then the problem hasn't gone away...

If the problem hasn't gone away, more people will complain...

More people complaining means more Fastrack handed out as compensation...

More Fastrack handed out means slower queues in the long run...

So in short, a solvable problem is solved NOT by fixing the actual problem but by ushering it away... That is not great customer service, that is just bribery so people turn the other way and feel more important/better because they now have free Fastrack...

Ah they are trying to fix it though, they told me that they keep the park open later some nights and only announce it during the day so there is a pretty constant stream of crowds leaving for about an hour, they also are now going to place more staff into the car park to aid smooth flow during peak times and they will look into adding more barriers. It should also be noted that the majority of the time the bottlenecks occur is when there has been an accident on the M25 or roadworks in Staines or some other external event that causes standstill traffic outside the park which can cause the bottlenecks inside, this was the problem over Easter when I went and has happened to me before and there isn't much that can be done about that. So they have tried to address the issues, I don't know how successful they will be but at least they have not simply given fastrack to me without all these things being outlined

To be fair as has been said alot of the time Staines road queues back from Staines to the Park so the barriers really won't make a huge difference. It's also hard to compare as the parks much busier now.

1000's of cars leaving a car park at the same time will cause similar problems, as I've said queue much longer than that at football and the charge is double thorpes!

Just to say, my problem isn't wholly about the car park issue (as I have no clue if they're doing their best with it due to very limited experience with it...). However, the compensation they give does annoy me slightly.

You complain, so you get free Fastrack. It's the standard reaction from Guest Services. That's what I have a problem with. Sure, it's nice for those who get it, but Fastrack can have issues, and handing out free ones like sweets isn't going to help...

Even if they gave you money off food or a cheaper ticket (if you don't have a MAP) or some occasions, it would be an improvement.

The barriers don't add to the congestion much. 98% of the time they work well and you scan your ticket and are straight out. And then when you get to the roundabout there isn't a queue as the flow to it has been constant. It also reduces the arguments at the mini roundabout where the bus stop and drop off join on as you don't have 1000s of cars fighting for one lane with no restricted flow.

When there was a huge problem in Staines or on the M25 they would announce that the Dome would remain open and that you could even go back into the park even if you had left. The few rides open till 9 or whatever it was in the summer also helped a bit.

No it's not brilliant but it never will be. On our quiet days at Universal it took 10 minutes to get parked and when walking to the parks the queues for the barriers were ridiculous to get into the car park! All because you can't just scan a ticket and go in, but you have to buy the ticket therefore adding to the delays. Even leaving those parks was a nightmare! 11pm close at SeaWorld one night with the whole car park exiting through T Junctions onto a main road. Not fun and didn't leave the best impression. But it's a way of life. You can leave early or stay as late as possible if it bothers you that much. No one forces you to leave when the majority of people do.

Oh my problem isn't with the congestion. It's with our poster forgetting all the problems when a freebie is thrown his way. Classic example of deflecting the problem at ride staff who get far more of a rough deal then a car park attendant will ever receive. His willingness to show off his three free fastracks is about bragging more then solving any issues.

Of course the best way to ease congestion leaving the park is to not kick everyone out at the peak of rush hour, and open later instead. In fact, I'm surprised that not closing between after 4 and before 7 isn't a stipulation from the council.

As you'll get some who want to leave in the early afternoon, arounf 5ish, and when the park would close at like 6.30/7... and although there will be some congestion coming out of thorpe due to so many cars at once, the amount of cars would be spread over the day, as well as the main bulk coming out at closing time which would intended to be after rush hour. Perfect idea really, something Alton could do with more so than Thorpe as their opening times are terrible :P

But I'm not here to solve problems? Yes I agree that ride attendants get a hard time but me refusing these tickets won't achieve anything, most likely I'd be ignored by THORPE and given nothing and some other people will just replace me in numbers with fastrack, for me its a good thing but while fastrack is still around and its their easiest commodity of course its gunna be what they offer as 'a gesture of good will' to people who complain, I haven't forgotten what problem was still there but if you look at the previous post of mine they didn't just throw them at me, they're actually trying to do something even though there's nothing big they can really do now at this time of year. Its nice that you would refuse fastrack tickets so everyone else will benefit but the majority of people, including me who would already have a returned trip planned I'm sure would accept them and its not WRONG to do so

But I'm not here to solve problems? Yes I agree that ride attendants get a hard time but me refusing these tickets won't achieve anything, most likely I'd be ignored by THORPE and given nothing and some other people will just replace me in numbers with fastrack, for me its a good thing but while fastrack is still around and its their easiest commodity of course its gunna be what they offer as 'a gesture of good will' to people who complain, I haven't forgotten what problem was still there but if you look at the previous post of mine they didn't just throw them at me, they're actually trying to do something even though there's nothing big they can really do now at this time of year. Its nice that you would refuse fastrack tickets so everyone else will benefit but the majority of people, including me who would already have a returned trip planned I'm sure would accept them and its not WRONG to do so

I do agree with you, and I'm sure many of us on here have had fastrack as compensation for issues before! Don't worry about it and enjoy it!

I do agree with you, and I'm sure many of us on here have had fastrack as compensation for issues before! Don't worry about it and enjoy it!

Whilst that is true (I got a package from Towers last year because Smiler was closed and I was staying at the hotel, at the time though they were just fobbing off the day guests because the closure was on the website), the parks still shouldn't effectively use them as a bribe for guests to turn the other cheek about park problems...

The initial post though was a literal "I complained and got free Fastrack!" brag though it must be said... There is seemingly no real solution to the current issue of congestion to get out of the park (or indeed, ANY Merlin park), so has the initial complaint actually been solved? It doesn't seem to have been...

If you think Thorpe Park has traffic problems you should try going Legoland on a busy days take around a hour to get out of there!

It took About 40-50 minutes on a quiet weekday in june... I think races on at ascot may have had something to do with it - as I only queued about 30 minutes in october half term.

Funnily enough I don't recall ever queuing to come out of Alton Towers or Thorpe Park in the last 3 or 4 years, and that consists of weekends, quiet weekdays and half terms, including events like scarefest/fright nights & fireworks - I can see how Chessington can be a bit of a pain but haven't queued for more than 5 mins!!

What can they realistically do?

1000's of cars leaving at the same time will cause problems / delays no matter what...

They can realistically say "thanks for your feedback, we apologise and we shall take your comments on board"

NO BLOODY FASTRACK. IT'S NOT NEEDED.

They can realistically say "thanks for your feedback, we apologise and we shall take your comments on board"

NO BLOODY FASTRACK. IT'S NOT NEEDED.

The fastrack encourages you to come back though... Even if you didn't enjoy your experienced. They don't want to lose their customers and by giving them fastpass it is a way to try and get them to return. Realistically I think they will continue to use this as a compensation...

it doesn't cost them anything to give it out (although potentially loses fast tracks that can be sold on that day, although don't see how it can be known what day they're coming back - and as it's quite evident they don't restrict fast track sales enough anyway!), and would give someone a reason to come back, so is actually a good gesture from a business perspective which also seemingly comes across as nice to the general public as well who has got something for free, just for complaining - although this isn't a trait they should get their customers used to!

• 2 weeks later...