Park Operations

Daniel.S313

On 09/08/2016 at 0:05 AM, BaronC. said:

Even if all other rides ran flawlessly, there would likely be plenty of people who would be clambering for a free return ticket.

To be fair. If you could only afford to make one trip to the park a year, maybe every two years, and when you went you weren't able to get on 1/3 of the main rides, then I see no issue with 'clambering' for a free return ticket.

Today's operations are pretty poor despite it being a moderately busy day.

As of now (12:30pm), Colossus, Stealth, Nemesis Inferno, DBGT and Flying Fish are all closed. Colossus and Inferno have been down for at least an hour now with no testing or work being done visibly. As a result, all of the flat rides currently have ridiculously long queue times that are much slower than they theoretically are.

To top it all off, I'm currently standing in Detonator's queue and what should be a simple 20 minute queue is turning out to be nearly an hour instead. Why? Because the staff are loading guests 50:50 with the Fastrack/main queue. On one dispatch, they loaded 7 people from Fastrack and 4 from the main queue...... Also, it's taking roughly 5-6 minutes per dispatch for Detonator.

I understand it's expected to be busy with large queues during the summer holidays, but I wasn't expecting these many attractions to be down with literally the slowest staff I have seen for quite some time on some of their rides. It's getting frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Martin.C said:

To top it all off, I'm currently standing in Detonator's queue and what should be a simple 20 minute queue is turning out to be nearly an hour instead. Why? Because the staff are loading guests 50:50 with the Fastrack/main queue. On one dispatch, they loaded 7 people from Fastrack and 4 from the main queue...... Also, it's taking roughly 5-6 minutes per dispatch for Detonator.

The Fastrack situation in particular puts me off visiting during busy times, there is little enjoyment in standing in slow moving queues watching paid queue jumpers bypass you.

28 minutes ago, planenut said:

I see that the TP website now state that Stealth and the Ghost Train are "unavailable". That's major really, though obviously that's not what they want.

They have also updated their FB page cover photo to remove the "now open" from the Ghost Train picture.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ThemeParkLover said:

One unreliable ride operating the other still down. I really do not think DBGT was a good investment for Thorpe, it's never open and has terrible throughput, how does that make any money?

The reliability and throughput will improve - the ride has years yet to make a return on its investment! 

It does have a very high running cost though and will need constant investment to stay a major attraction. While throughput will increase and hopefully the reliability there is no getting around the fact that the headsets, pcs and animation will need replacing every few years. Fortunately for Thorpe the ride seems to be popular and is pulling people through the gates even when the ride itself isn't open. The fundamental question is if it will continue to pull in guests.

On 26 August 2016 at 8:06 PM, Project LC said:

It does have a very high running cost though and will need constant investment to stay a major attraction. While throughput will increase and hopefully the reliability there is no getting around the fact that the headsets, pcs and animation will need replacing every few years. Fortunately for Thorpe the ride seems to be popular and is pulling people through the gates even when the ride itself isn't open. The fundamental question is if it will continue to pull in guests.

I really hope Thorpe don't neglect the ride and all the effects are consistently working in a few years. 

Today, all rides have been quick at dispatches, but the problem has been reliability. Stealth went down three times before half 10 and has had a few problems through the rest of the day. Saw has been down since 1ish and many of the flats gave been going down through the day.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Merlin have just posted a great video about ride operations and why rides are stopped / closed throughout the day.

I know a few people on here have been speculating about ride operations so this video should help clear things up.

Great to see Merlin explaining these things to the public for reassurance too. :)