Park Operations

Daniel.S313

• 1 month later...

Weird one today.  All coasters were on two trains which was great, however a lot of rides were on staggered opening (11am) and there were a loads of breakdowns throughout the day.

Thorpe just feels so dead this year IMO with so many attractions closed and/or boarded up, the place is in dire need of some proper investment.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at the park today, and oh my, was the operations dire..

X closed, Rumba Rapids closed,  and Storm Surge/DBGT not opening til at least like 1-2PM, and tons of breakdowns..

With my last park visit being Europa- the sheer difference in operations was pretty insane.

• 3 weeks later...

Aaah I remember the good ol' power cuts when I worked there :D Fun times, especially on Vortex, where you'd have to just sit and wait for it to lose momentum before getting people off :lol:  

If I remember correctly, some of the park is powered by a generator in Chertsey, and the rest from one in the park? Hence why only some rides are affected. 

• 3 weeks later...

Went today and overall had a fairly alright experience with operations- barely any breakdowns, and two train operations on all rides, and like 30-50 minutes on most rides, which for being in the summer holidays- pretty decent, lets hope we see more of this..

Only problem was the massive holdup with security; which don't get me wrong in times like theses having security measures are needed, but the queue was spreading out into the car park, and it moved like a snail.. 

Also there was was the odd staggered opening or two- though luckily it was Storm Surge that was staggered, which obviously meant.. Nobody cared :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Coaster said:

^ The security bag searches are horrendously disorganised and I can't believe the park deems it okay to have queues stretching across the plaza, a more permanent installation is required in my opinion like the setup at BPB with 6 - 10 scanners in use.

I do agree they do need a more permanent solution to it all - since the Manchester attacks they have significantly increased the amount of staff searching and I do think the searches infront of the kiosks works better than it did before.

I do avoid taking a bag when I can to skip the queues or get there at about 9!

It's a pain but totally justified after recent events to have a very semi-permanent looking bag search in place. It is much better than the system last year located after the gates. As I've said before, Thorpe need a new entrance plaza that would be much more fit for purpose with a permanent building for tickets, security and turnstiles. 

57 minutes ago, Stuntman707 said:

It's a pain but totally justified after recent events to have a very semi-permanent looking bag search in place. It is much better than the system last year located after the gates. As I've said before, Thorpe need a new entrance plaza that would be much more fit for purpose with a permanent building for tickets, security and turnstiles. 

Am I hearing a new entrance being developed which interacts with a brand new B&M Hyper? No probably not.

2 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

I completely agree the searches are necessary, just that I think the implementation is awful and makes a terrible first impression on people's day.

I'm of the opinion that having large groups of people waiting in a unprotected plaza is far worse than bag checks. When I was last at Thorpe (pre summer holidays) the bag check was over in 5 seconds flat, the quickest glance at the inside of my bag. Are they spending longer per person or it is just the sheer number of people causing the holdups?

1 hour ago, streetmagix said:

I'm of the opinion that having large groups of people waiting in a unprotected plaza is far worse than bag checks. When I was last at Thorpe (pre summer holidays) the bag check was over in 5 seconds flat, the quickest glance at the inside of my bag. Are they spending longer per person or it is just the sheer number of people causing the holdups?

I believe the delay is caused by disorder on the part of the employees. The last time I went through the bag check I spent most of the time waiting for the employees to finish their conversation before poking my bag with a stick and waving me through.

22 hours ago, Coaster said:

I completely agree the searches are necessary, just that I think the implementation is awful and makes a terrible first impression on people's day.

No doubt it looks terrible as the entrance to the park. Having to go into a porta-building to buy tickets is also bad. I don't mind as they had to put in something for this season. I just hope that because it's literally gazebos, that they are planning something more permanent. Although knowing Merlin, they will most likely just keep the festival barriers and gazebos in place indefinitely. 

12 hours ago, Jack said:

Are they still doing the 'no riding without an over 18 rule' on rumba, on my last visit during summer this caused me to wait 50 minutes for the ****ty Rapids as almost the entire queue was filled with groups of teenagers waiting for an adult to ride with

Now there's a thing; if an over eighteen wanted to ride it repeatedly, then they could lease themselves out, let's see, fifty pence for five, times..........

Think I'll stick to the other rides.