Park Operations

Daniel.S313

Yay more actors for no reason and to add nothing to the experience on park. It has been demonstrated time and time again no one cares about Halloween attractions when it's not Halloween. It might add to the 10pm closes (seriously doubt it) but the whole let's just throw actors at stuff to make it better has gone on for too long and is so short sighted.

Atleast it's not like Alton so I guess that's something positive.

Eh, I dunno. I think there is a market for typical 'Halloween' attractions to be open all year around, but as Saw is so old now it's a bit peculiar. Could it be to do with the fact it has a permanent structure and how successful it was last year? Then again, Living Nightmare too...

Pretty sure they were trialling 12pm openings on DBGT during Fright Nights last year as it uses a heap load of staff, probably to keep break cover costs down? Also, Angry Birds isn't actor run (or wasn't last season), it was done by hosts? Really interested to find out the full lineup now. 

12 minutes ago, Project LC said:

Yay more actors for no reason and to add nothing to the experience on park. It has been demonstrated time and time again no one cares about Halloween attractions when it's not Halloween. It might add to the 10pm closes (seriously doubt it) but the whole let's just throw actors at stuff to make it better has gone on for too long and is so short sighted.

Atleast it's not like Alton so I guess that's something positive.

An additional attraction open during the parks busiest time of the season is a bad thing? 

59 minutes ago, Marc said:

An additional attraction open during the parks busiest time of the season is a bad thing? 

The fact another attraction is open during the busy season isn't my issue. My issue is its a short term solution for a much larger problem. The parks capacity needs to increase and instead of doing the right thing, by installing new rides to replace the rides they have removed or reduced the capacity on, they have decided to just throw actors at the problem to make the park one jumped up midway attraction.

We should be relieved. So what if it’s short sighted, it’s a dormant attraction which is in working order that’s very easy for Thorpe to reopen. Still better than nothing, and far better than having it removed. There’s many annoyed fans on Towers forums who think Thorpes lineup is too good this season in comparison.

1 hour ago, TPC said:

Just please sort out DBGT out. It uses 20+ employees at 1 time. It has been a complete and utter fail, so it desperately needs help. At least, it looks like Thorpe, aside from X Walking Dead is going to have a good season.

Don't worry - once it gets handed back to Thorpe instead of being under MMM's budget there won't be as many employees needed :D

"Loggers Leap will be closed for redevelopment this season but we're hoping for it to make a splashback soon!"

Can I get that on a t-shirt plz? :D

That aside - interesting move having SAW Alive opening for the summer... when does the IP run out? Could be one last hurrah perhaps?

Should be mentioneded how this is actually an improvement compared to last season.  Rumba Rapids, Storm Surge and Samurai all opened at 11am, but they're now presumably on 10am openings.  

The late opening of DBGT must surely partially be a response to the fact they struggle to get it open with the park.  They've tried for the best part of 2 seasons to get it open on time, and it rarely did.  We can moan about its lack of reliability till the end of time, but if the park have realised that, for now, they can't say with confidence they'll get it open at 10, then I guess it's better to set more realistic expectations for guests.

The opening of Saw Alive is odd.  Like, really odd.  Though I guess with the "year of The Walking Dead" motive, scare attractions will happen.  Makes me wonder if Living Nightmare, or dare I say Containment, will make an appearance or two...

Compared to expectations I am satisfied with this: especially compared to what’s happening at Towers.

10am opening on  all attractions (bar actor led ones) seems reasonable and good to see Rumba, Samurai and Storm Surge return to 10am openings.

Opening Derren later at first glance may seem a negative but given the complications running it and high staffing requirements , I’d rather the Ghost Train open at 12 as opposed to a noticeable portion of the park have staggered openings. 

Saw Alive Summer Operation is an interesting one, but if it helps soak up crowds is hopefully a positive change. Theres also hoping IAC also returns. 

If the park sticks to these plans and 10pm, the park could be onto a winner this year. 

48 minutes ago, Marc said:

Rumba wont be running as a seasonal attraction and is due to open with the park at the start of the season.

A quick round up of all which was announced yesterday: https://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/23-01-2018/2018+Season+Update 

That’ll please a few who were upset last year with it being closed. Park have clearly listened to feedback for this year.

Thorpes site has been updated with information on Im a Celeb and Saw Alive.

Im a Celeb will open during peak times which i think are pretty much the same as 2017?:

Friday 23rd March –Sunday 15th April 2018

Friday 25th May – Sunday 3rd June 2018

Saturday 21st July – Monday 3rd September 2018

Saw Alive will be open 12pm-Park Close from Saturday 21st July-Monday 3rd September. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Plenty of one train runs today, Colossus and Inferno were spared but Swarm and Stealth were not at all. Colossus was really slow, then got entirely rebooted by someone holding a gate open.

But the really interesting thing about today was the closing time - today was a scheduled 4pm close time but the staff started advertising that they were going to stay open until 5pm, and they followed through. Not sure who's decision this was, why it was made, and why the park never mentioned it on any social media at the time, but it's of course very appreciated. If anyone's had a precedent of this happening before, fill me in.