Park Operations

Daniel.S313

I think everyones over reacting slightly here on just an opinion with no real evidence to back it up.

As said, a more likley reason is that staff havent updated it or the system isnt working right at the moment, on my last trip id say over 50% of the boards were not even switched on.

In contrast, I've never been offered fastrack at a ride entrance before.

Well maybe you haven't been on a busy day then? Thorpe think they can get away with it when the rest of the park is busy. This is a day where Colossus was 90 mins, saw 60 mins and nemesis inferno 80 mins. They thought by advertising stealth at 60 mins they could increase fastrack sales. That day they had people selling fastrack at all of the big rollercoasters.

I've not been offered it at the entrance.. I've seen it being sold there, but never shoved down my throat.

The system had been updated on Good Friday, I saw it changing from 30 mins up to 60, down to 45, back up to 60 in the space of 2 hours, but the queue was still non existent. I think they were selling fast-track, but not sure how effective them sales were... It certainly wasn't affecting the queue times! :)

Well maybe you haven't been on a busy day then? Thorpe think they can get away with it when the rest of the park is busy. This is a day where Colossus was 90 mins, saw 60 mins and nemesis inferno 80 mins. They thought by advertising stealth at 60 mins they could increase fastrack sales. That day they had people selling fastrack at all of the big rollercoasters.

I've queued over 3 hours for Asylum, 2 hours for Saw and Stealth in previous visits. I've probably been on more busy days than you've had hot dinners :P

It is the less busy days that this is a bigger problem really. The days that are actually busy fastrack is an offensive to me but legitimate service.

I have had it happen to me (last year or the year before, can't remember. It's in one of my trip reports somewhere), Saw queue, being shouted at as I entered about 'Skipping the hour queue' to find the queue was actually passed the merge point. There is no rational explanation other than trying to make fastrack sales where none are required. There is no way staff can honestly mistake a walk on ride for an hour queue, it just isn't feasible.

The whole thing is disgusting.

Queue time boards should only be updated by rides dept. And if they are, there's absolutely no way they'll inflate a queue time to increase fastrack sales. Rides staff consider fastrack an absolute bane of their life.

Chances are they've forgotten to change it/deliberately left it to deter people from queuing. Not to increase sales.

See, in the most part I'd just slate Thorpe for it's inability to operate rides efficiently, that and it's superb ability to let twice as many guests in as it really should. I would agree queue times are not bolstered for fastrack sales, it's laziness/forgetfulness/irrelevence. To be quite honest, on busy days, there is no point paying any attention to queue times anyway, as any ride which shows anything more than 20-30 mins less than the others of it's type (so lets say, NI: 90, Stealth: 100, SAW: 90, Swarm: 60), you can guarantee by the time you get to the Swarm, the queue will be closer to 100 anyway... It's all down to how small Thorpe is, and how little variety there is. Unlike at Alton, where people get busied by the gardens/walking around/transport rides/family attractions, Thorpe has 100% Thrill seekers, going for, basically, 10 main rides. Too many people, too few rides.

What made me laugh yesterday was the cattle pen queue system out side guest services, next they will be selling fast track for that too! lol

that guest services gets incredibly busy when the park is full, its a lot better then having the world's longest queue in the dome

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think it's been said anywhere else yet - most of the rides now have a new, larger, colour led scrolling information board at their entrance now.

Really helpful to see how long queues are from further away - e.g. seeing Saw's queue time from the Colossus pathway.

They were installing the new large information/queue time board next to Rush on Thursday, so they should be back up and running soon (if not already).

I think every ride will have one of these.

The old system wasnt great, hopefully this will be more reliable and looks abit nicer too!

On the old system you couldn't actually see what the queue time was because it was faint, and it was flashing and half cut off. Unless you actually went right up and squinted you wouldn't be able to see the queue time. Which is why I am glad that thorpe have installed new ones :D

Sounds like a great improvement there, hopefully now I can see if rides have a 90 minute queue without going right near the entrance.

All they need to do now is replace the park queue information boas around a the park which the old ones are gone now. The one that was near Inferno didn't work for a long time.

All they need to do now is replace the park queue information boas around a the park which the old ones are gone now. The one that was near Inferno didn't work for a long time.

They have, there were two LED screens (not sure on the proper name, they were like the new queue times boards for the rides but on a much bigger scale) in the places that formerly had the queue times displayed. Yesterday they were only showing the Thorpe Park logo all day but I'm sure that they will show the queue times.