Your Favourite Quotes

MarkC

Post your favourite quotes and share them with th community!! I'll start it off:

It’s not like love at first sight, really. It’s more like… gravity moves. When you see her, suddenly it’s not the earth holding you here anymore. She does. And nothing matters more than her. And you would do anything for her, be anything for her… You become whatever she needs you to be, whether that’s a protector, or a lover, or a friend, or a brother.

Jacob Black, Eclipse

Good idea for a topic, but I'm removing that silly emoticon from the title. ;) Will edit this post with a few quotes when I gather some.

EDIT: Here we go - I'm very selective about certain quotes. They tend to say a lot more about me than I can. Call it a weak mind if you like, or a low-functioning verbal-expressive drive if you're into Psychology, but oh wells.

"If you ever have the pleasure of saying exactly what you mean to say and at exactly the moment you mean to say it, relish that moment. Seconds later it will be replaced by remorse" - Unknown (pretty sure it was popularised or maybe even first said in You've Got Mail though...)

"Life is much more successfully looked at from a single window" - F. Scott-Fitzgerald, one of my favourite authors. (Could literally quote anything by him and it'd still be amazing).

"The problem with every disguise is that no matter how hard you try, it will always be a self-portrait" - From a Sherlock episode written by Mark Gatiss. Interesting when you think of the facades people wear in social connections, and what their impression of a certain type of person/emotion/behaviour says about the real them.

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living. And above all, pity those who live without love" - J. K. Rowling (Albus Dumbledore). I've always said I've been a bit of a passive fan of Harry Potter, but Albus Dumbledore is perhaps one of the greatest fictional characters in modern literature. And sorry but, Gambon > Harris.

"It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder to not be able to love" - Generic weepy comment about love, the author of which is probably a monk from Tibet or something.

Hmm... Deep.

I'm not a religious man by a very long shot, but for me the best words to live are the biblical and very simple "Do unto others as you would have them do to you". Covers everything really.

The quote I probably use more than any other (language warning) ...

A bit less deep and so 2009, but it still makes me laugh and I like to say it when it is least appropriate for my own amusement.

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

"Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them."

Albus Dumbledore. Legend.

"It means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one, both of you."

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything."

Doc, Back To The Future. Although he never actually says that second quote in the films, Marty quotes him saying it :P

"Was I bored? No, I wasn't f*ckin' bored. I'm never bored. That's the trouble with everybody - you're all so bored. You've had nature explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the living body explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the universe explained to you and you're bored with it, so now you want cheap thrills and, like, plenty of them, and it doesn't matter how tawdry or vacuous they are as long as it's new as long as it's new as long as it flashes and f*ckin' bleeps in forty f*ckin' different colors. So whatever else you can say about me, I'm not f*ckin' bored!"

Jonny, the main character in a Mike Leigh film called Naked.

Apologies for the swearing by the way! Really do love that quote, there's a lot of great quotes from that film actually. What I also find quite amusing is that this film was in 1993, where gadgets and technology were nothing compared to now! I wonder what he would make of this day and age. Particularly the "as long as it's new" thing.

The way the actor (the amazing David Thewlis) delivers that speech too, the look on his face while he says it! Great performance in general actually, such an underrated British actor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...