Next Big Thing - 2016 Development ?

pluk

Inverting woodie here we come

Nice, just needs a bit more

sb52d468cde86d3.jpg

Nick-Varney.jpg

Goes without saying really! 'Europes first wooden coaster at a place called Thorpe Park?'

All these things are almost certainly true, but entirely guessable. If they are any way into the planning process (ie already at market research stage) I'm sure they'd have a narrower field than 6, although if they are going to the trouble of market research they may as well chuck some questions in about 'non-runners' just to get a feel for the future I suppose.

I don't know about a pinch of salt, I'll take this with a bucket of the stuff.

I've learnt from football WUM's during last summer's transfer window not to trust any 'In the know' on the internet. They may well be in the planning stage, but we should wait and see for more concrete information.

In the mean time, I hope everyone's looking forward to next year's Tesco themed Top Spin...

They could easily chuck a "gimmick" on a Mack Mega Lite, be it some sort of inversion or thematic element.

In fact, a Mack Mega Lite would be a great idea - the hardware is cheap, so they can spend millions, literally, on theming and the like. Go all out and create something different and exciting, then there's your killer image and tagline sorted.

Gimmicks won't necessarily equate to "firsts".

Gimmicks won't necessarily equate to "firsts".

Praise the lord someone finally pointed out the distinction. Wahey!

Still very game for anything Mack. Mega-lite, Mega-Coaster (entirely plausible) or either of the two with a launch would be so well-received, perhaps not initially, but certainly after time. Although, if the cost of Helix is anything to go by (£20.2M) then the hardware for Mega-coasters is really very expensive, but I'm not sure how much of this cost went in ground-work (possibly quite a lot), advertisement, IMAScore, and station design. But then again, with the way Mack are transforming the face of European theme parks they can charge whatever the hell they want nowadays. In comparison, Blue Fire cost ~16.5M, and mega-lite Alpina Blitz at Nigloland cost a lowly £6.6M.

A mega-lite would leave tonnes of budget for themeing. A Mega-coaster maybe not so much, but the cost of hardware would be closer to Blue Fire's than Helix's, as arguably less of a challenge is presented by Thorpe's terrain (being that there are no hills like at Liseberg). So there could still be some standard Merlin-level themeing but at least we'd have a farking good coaster underneath it.

Not going to lie, when I here 'Derren Brown' and 'wood' in the same sentence, my first thoughts are this:

087.jpg

Maybe with a Derren Brown theme, they could say it's the first roller coaster in the world to play with your mind and even call is a 'The world's first true Psychcoaster'!?!?!?!

Y'know, I wouldn't be entirely averse to that... If we're talking about the experience - not the coaster. I'm certain Brown would be averse though.

Circus of Horrors is a timeless theme, and far too often executed terribly by naff Halloween events. Like I dunno... Ones in your back garden. In the north. Made with a marquee tent and some bits of plywood...

Ahem.

And when I say circus of horrors I don't mean insane clowns. I was privileged enough to actually see Svengali (Derren Brown's second-most recent tour and the picture Josh posted) and found its quiteness and eeriness the most disturbing thing about it. Sadly though, Thorpe aren't known for their subtlty, so I'm not sure that'd be the best idea... not to mention it'd have to shake the tacky fairground-y stigma or it'd be a pile of **** anyway.

Derren Brown would work well with the likes of a dark ride or experience but as a wooden coaster? Unless it was something like the Lord of Darkness from Oblivion but instead being Derren Brown? No idea but we can't overlook the Hunger Games IP. They mentioned it once and it's a Lionsgate film.

If we're getting a woody can we just get an awesome GCI with immense theming angry no IP? If the ride is good enough by itself it will sell! Make the single image that Merlin like amazing and the tag line whatever (it wouldn't be tough to get a UK's first ____ wooden coaster) and it'll do well. This tag line Merlin like doesn't have to be a worlds first or even a gimmick necessarily, just something that sums up how awesome the ride is in a phrase.

Or Mack. But I fear Merlin would somehow ruin it.

Derren Brown themed woodie? :lol:

Best made up crap ever <3

That truly would see Merlin scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas... Amazing scenes...

Besides, an inversion on a Mack Mega-Lite wouldn't be much of a gimmick (or very good), as Storm at Etnaland did it... And it would be more suited to Chessie as a ride type (because they NEED something more desperately than Thorpe do)...

Again though, the IP obsession isn't great... How about we just build a ride that is good Merlin? That'd be nice to see... No gimmick, no world's first, just something solid, reliable and a ride that people throughout the UK and the World can be excited by... Smiler was close but is a bit of a laughing stock... Pull your fingers out your collective bums and do a good job for once, not the bare minimum... [/rant]

In terms of a new B&M coaster, I'm not sure what possibilities we have left, in regards of a new coaster at Thorpe.

We've already got the inverter and wing rider.

A hyper coaster (but on a smaller scale) could work

A dive coaster may be a bit too similar to Saw, so it would need to have a more impressive layout and theming (plus they can't go underground at Thorpe)

Flying coaster may be regarded to similar to Swarm, unless it has a completely unique and different layout

Sit down and floor less are too similar to Colossus, even if they had different layouts

Think that's about it.

I would certainly love to see a woodie as the next big coaster as the new ones made by the likes of GCI, GG and the like in parks in the world look fantastic and having ridden Megafobia which is a fantastic coaster I can say it would suit the ride line up perfectly.

If Merlin are still uncertain on the woodie idea, they need to see how popular and well acclaimed these new rides are, plus their own one in Heide,and if they're still not confident (dare I say it), just theme it around something like the Hunger Games as that would surely give them more faith.

As for Derron Brown-the ride, I can't see this working, especially one a wooden coaster. Having watched one of his performances and the way it was executed and performed, I can say a Derron brown theme would work much better in a dark ride setting, something like an interactive scenic ride or the likes.

In terms of a new B&M coaster, I'm not sure what possibilities we have left, in regards of a new coaster at Thorpe.

We've already got the inverter and wing rider.

A hyper coaster (but on a smaller scale) could work

A dive coaster may be a bit too similar to Saw, so it would need to have a more impressive layout and theming (plus they can't go underground at Thorpe)

Flying coaster may be regarded to similar to Swarm, unless it has a completely unique and different layout

Sit down and floor less are too similar to Colossus, even if they had different layouts

Think that's about it.

I would certainly love to see a woodie as the next big coaster as the new ones made by the likes of GCI, GG and the like in parks in the world look fantastic and having ridden Megafobia which is a fantastic coaster I can say it would suit the ride line up perfectly.

If Merlin are still uncertain on the woodie idea, they need to see how popular and well acclaimed these new rides are, plus their own one in Heide,and if they're still not confident (dare I say it), just theme it around something like the Hunger Games as that would surely give them more faith.

As for Derron Brown-the ride, I can't see this working, especially one a wooden coaster. Having watched one of his performances and the way it was executed and performed, I can say a Derron brown theme would work much better in a dark ride setting, something like an interactive scenic ride or the likes.

I really don't get the similarities between a Flyer and Swarm. A Flyer is suspended-type coaster and it places riders in the 'Superman' position; Swarm isn't either of those. Additionally, if Thorpe Park built a Flyer, it would definitely have a different layout, one that is unique to their Flyer.

I've been on AIR and Manta, and I honestly think it would provide them with something that Swarm couldn't, and the only Flyer we have, is AIR and AIR is totally different to Manta. It would attract visitors who are unable to go to Orlando to experience Manta.

I really don't get the similarities between a Flyer and Swarm. A Flyer is suspended-type coaster and it places riders in the 'Superman' position; Swarm isn't either of those. Additionally, if Thorpe Park built a Flyer, it would definitely have a different layout, one that is unique to their Flyer.

I get what your saying but for me it's more the thematic experience both ride types aim to provide are quite similar. Both do have some kind of flight simulation at their core; it's just with one you're in the position of flying and one you're more flying on the wings of something.

I get what your saying but for me it's more the thematic experience both ride types aim to provide are quite similar. Both do have some kind of flight simulation at their core; it's just with one you're in the position of flying and one you're more flying on the wings of something.

I do agree with you though, but I'd love to see a Flyer nonetheless.

My wishlist:

1) Maverick / Blue Fire-type kinds of coasters

2) Woodie

3) Hyper

4) Flyer

This is what I would like to see. I know Thorpe like gimmicks or something worth mentioning about the ride so I've kept that in mind...

Colossus with new lap bar trains... As it has the potential to be my favourite ride, I just feel so claustrophobic on it with me being 6ft! But in all seriousness I doubt we'll see them, although would bring a new lease of life to the ride! :(

1) RMC

I just think they look so cool, and would be perfect around Loggers Leap - shame it now no longer would be the Europe's first which Thorpe may think is a key factor at the moment, but maybe when they get more popular and realise how good they apparently are may get on in the future if they don't get a woodie before.

2) 'Actual' Woodie

As besides having specific only rides, all aspects of a ride have been covered really... airtime (Stealth, Colossus), inversions (The Swarm, Saw, Nemesis Inferno, Colossus), launch (Stealth), drop (Saw, Stealth) etc. So the only logical rollercoaster that's missing from their line up is wood as even though its main focus should be airtime, it gives a completely different ride experience.

3) Intamin Mega-Lite / Mack Equivalent

From the looks of the rides (Piraten & Alpina Blitz) and the reviews, they seem like amazing rides full of airtime, and perfect for a smaller space, as well a lower cost - it's just a case of how Thorpe could theme it and/or make it marketable.

4) Family Launch Coaster

I'm all for wanting a nice big, tall rollercoaster, but if Thorpe are serious about this family target market as well, I'd love to see a thrilling family launch coaster like Juvelen as they look great fun and with several, less intense launches makes it completely different to stealth! As well as being scared on roller coasters its all about having fun as well, and that's what I love about 13 at Alton Towers, so a family ride while still being relatively thrilling seems a great choice.

5) Hypercoaster / Airtime Filled Machine

I used to think rides lacking an inversion or two were completely pointless, but now I've come to appreciate airtime and think it's a key element rides should include, so a nice tall coaster with lots of airtime possibly running along the back of the park as mentioned before would seem a good idea, although worrying that it would dwarf stealth or at least make it not so imposing, as it appears to be their signature ride, so maybe a woodie or mega-lite etc. may be a better option.

What I don't want to see...

1) B&M Flying Coaster

Admittedly Air is extremely boring and lacks any intensity, but other flyers do look really good... I just don't think its right for the park with Nemesis Inferno being inverted, and The Swarm riding on the wings, plus I personally hate the restraints and find them so uncomfortable!

2) B&M Dive Machine

I love Oblivion even if it does have an awfully short layout... Bit what makes Oblivion is the underground tunnel and with that not being possible at Thorpe just leaves me not wanting one even if it did have a decent layout, plus it takes away from stealths height/drop and the whole point of saw (the over 90degree drop)!

3) B&M Sit Down Inverter

As much as these are great rides, it doesn't bring much more to the ride lineup with saw and Colossus... Besides smoothness aha! But think it would be a wasted investment with the other rides above I think would be better suited to the ride lineup!