Next Big Thing - 2016 Development ?

pluk

That both are at different parks does make a difference... Any DM at Thorpe would have to be very substansial (I.e. SheiKra/Griffon length) to promote the focus away from Saw...

And even then, with Saw's steeper drop and what-not, how can you promote a DM as being better to the masses?

When the science week display was up it included the woodie plans for the saw site. In the half hour or so I was there chatting to the host at least 5 or 6 people cooed over it asked "wow, when's that coming", everything I heard said about it was massively positive. Maybe that was just coincidence while I was there, if not you'd hope the general excitement for the plan was fed back to whoever needs to know.

Don't quite get why anyone would want a Dive Machine at Thorpe?

In a park that has Saw and Stealth offering beyond-vertical and practically vertical drops respectively (and with one of Saw's main focuses being the drop), it just doesn't make sense.

When you further consider the main key features of Dive Machines are their drop and they usually have short ride times, it makes little sense for one to go to Thorpe. The clincher would be the theming / landscaping of it. Since Thorpe cannot go underground, they're going to have a great deal of trouble making the drop special; they'd have to go for something akin to Krake and make a cool theming feature. But I doubt that'd be anywhere near as effective as Oblivion, which many members of the GP will no doubt draw comparisons to.

tl;dr - Dive Machine wouldn't suit Thorpe.

^ Do guests in a park complain when there's more than one drop tower? No, they ride them both. (Liseberg)

Do guests in a park complain when there's two launch coasters in a park? No, they ride them both. (Liseberg)

Do guest complain when there's two log flumes in a park? No, most people don't. (Heide Park)

Pretty much all coasters have drops. Yes, some people do make comparisons between Oblivion and Saw, but if marketed differently, they probably wouldn't.

So saying "Dive Machine wouldn't suit Thorpe" is a matter of opinion tbh. Some people say a woodie wouldn't suit the park, others love the idea.

Yep, saying a Dive Machine wouldn't suit Thorpe is simply my opinion...

Just because guests wouldn't necessarily complain about there being two similar rides on park, though, doesn't mean they should go for that option.

Think of it from another perspective though. In a time where Merlin are focusing on having a key feature to sell a ride, what would a Dive Machine's key feature be? Saw has always had a focus on a drop, and you can't make people forget about that. So focusing on a 'Vertical drop' when there's a coaster with a 'beyond vertical drop' seems silly. You can't go for height, as there's no way they'll be able to build a coaster taller than Stealth. The only way is to come up with a theme which will sell itself, and with there already being a couple of IPs on-park, going for an IP would be a difficult choice in my opinion. I just can't see how Thorpe/Merlin could sell the idea of a Dive Machine to the public without it being undermined / undermining another Thorpe ride. (Just pointing out, I don't necessarily agree with the thought process here, but this is likely going to be what Thorpe/Merlin are thinking...)

Another thing to remember is a lot of people visit / have visited both Thorpe and Alton. Even if they've just had one trip to either of the places, I reckon it's quite likely a guest who visits Thorpe will have visited / want to visit Towers. I just struggle to see how Thorpe could create a better Dive Machine than Oblivion, given Thorpe's restraints and how well Oblivion utilises the concept (going underground and general theme). I guess you could say 'Well that's exactly what they did with Nemesis and Inferno'. However, even though Inferno is good in it's own right, I just don't want to see Thorpe essentially copy Towers again - everyone wants a bit of originality!

Simply my opinion here of course, but I just don't 'get' why anyone would want a Dive Machine at Thorpe.

It appears that Merlin are the closer to choosing a Woodie than they have ever been since their establishment, and TP would be the likely place.

Sadly with all the water around it they are limited by the base structure, unless they build it under water and give everybody snorkels.

It appears that Merlin are the closer to choosing a Woodie than they have ever been since their establishment, and TP would be the likely place.

Sadly with all the water around it they are limited by the base structure, unless they build it under water and give everybody snorkels.

its likely I think the new trend around the world will drowning you're visitors