Next Big Thing - 2016 Development ?

pluk

I still by my thoughts it will either be a spinning coaster to go along with the other 2 Dragons Fury and Sonic Spinball, or it will be a ride like Inferno at Terra Mitica or finally a launched Flying Coaster.

If its family route they are going down the spinning coaster is not a bad investment, throughput is horrible, but you can make some unique elements, I.e. John Wardley's tilting section, or launch Spinning Coaster, or a little more extreme have a ride like Inferno, on a bigger/better scale.

Thorpe would not get a Doctor Who themed ride. I doubt any merlin park would as that is the BBC's flagship. If you messed it up in the smallest detail then both BBC and merlin would come off looking bad. Personally I dont think its a risk that they are willing to take.

Thorpe would not get a Doctor Who themed ride. I doubt any merlin park would as that is the BBC's flagship. If you messed it up in the smallest detail then both BBC and merlin would come off looking bad. Personally I dont think its a risk that they are willing to take.

Haha, after the quality of Angry Birds Land I don't think the BBC would go anywhere near Thorpe! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Never understand why spinning coasters are considered family rides. They leave me nauseous and aching. Not that I don't appreciate Dragon's Fury - but I would rather ride Saw or The Smiler back to back.

Dr Who Experience would be great but I doubt would have a coaster attached. Be more like the Cardiff experience walkthrough with maybe a Charlie like section as part of it.

I hear good things about the Dragon Coaster at legoland as a combo dark and family ride.

All jokes aside... What could realistically go in that area as it looks god damn awful coming out of nemesis exit and seeing the old ride as well as a load of cables running over it!

Its crazy for a small park how much potential space it seems to have without the need for removing other rides.

Despite me saying it would be highly unlikely it would be doctor who it turns out it may actually be A DW themed ride. I'm lead to believe that currently the plans are for a £20million dark ride on the arena site opening 2016 with a BBC IP. Would take that with a pinch of salt mind you as that did come from an engineer on backstage tour of saw, however I have heard others say similar things.

^ I wouldn't trust an engineer. They know their trade, but not everything.

:(

A £20 million Merlin dark ride seems very far-fetched though... Just cos Merlin and spending that level of money on a non-coaster ride mainly... Will believe it when I see it...

Although the Arena does sit empty 90% of the year. And 2016 is a large investment year (doesn't have to be a coaster to be large!). Not too sure on the Doctor Who rumour as I've heard some saying that might be a Towers thing etc but it is likely to be a BBC thing. Just saying. (I've also heard that you may want to think larger than £20 million, although that is 100% pure speculation but you never know)