Next Big Thing - 2016 Development ?

pluk

I cant remember where but a fairly releabile source stated that within the next 5 years 3 woodies/hybrids were to be made in the uk. 2 have been claimed the 3rd still hasnt been. That doesnt mean one is to come just there is a small posiblity of one. Plans chnage and it could just be that the source wasnt fully correct.

That smells like the excrement of a male cow to me. 

There are no confirmed (or claimed?) new woodies or hybrids in the UK as of right now. Planning for one will be big news when it happens, which it will and I think soon. Most parks have no idea what they are doing two years from now, let alone 5. Someone is pissing in the wind with those numbers.

As always you offer people some information you pick up and they all say it lies, you are aware this is a speculation topic? Also don't know what they are doing in 2 years? A lot of planning goes into coaster, followed by refinement, then engineering the thing, then theme, marketing. If that can all be done in 2 years or under I will eat my own shoe.

I did state that plans change and implied that it should be taken with a large pinch of salt. I'm fine if you don't believe it but no reason to...

As always you offer people some information you pick up and they all say it lies, you are aware this is a speculation topic? Also don't know what they are doing in 2 years? A lot of planning goes into coaster, followed by refinement, then engineering the thing, then theme, marketing. If that can all be done in 2 years or under I will eat my own shoe.

I did state that plans change and implied that it should be taken with a large pinch of salt. I'm fine if you don't believe it but no reason to...

I call upon Rita: Queen of Speed and The Smiler to take the stand in the witness box.

I cant remember where but a fairly releabile source stated that within the next 5 years 3 woodies/hybrids were to be made in the uk. 2 have been claimed the 3rd still hasnt been. That doesnt mean one is to come just there is a small posiblity of one. Plans chnage and it could just be that the source wasnt fully correct.

If this source said 3 woodies would be built in 5 years in the UK, then surely all three would be claimed for? Parks contact manufacturers saying that they want such a ride, not the other way around.

You offered no 'information'. What you said you heard does mot make any sense, it's not really how things work. Say, for example, there were three woodies being at least considered in something like the time frame given; there are a multitude of manufacturers and park owners so no one person would ever be in receipt of information like this, the plans would be far too commercially sensitive and would be being developed independent by a range of both customers and suppliers. It's not like someone would just drop their roller coaster shopping list in Asda for someone else to find.

I hope you like the taste of leather, because there's plenty to add to Mark9's list. Parks may know they want a major coaster around a certain time from a long way out (see mtdp), but the actual flesh on that general idea often comes fairly late on after a huge number of changes. The Smiler and Saw both went from a concept unrecognisable to what actually was built (including big things like location, manufacturer and building material) to an open ride in about that time-frame.

Lastly, and this isn't meant to sound personal but it kind of is a little bit and is unavoidable due to the nature of your complaint, why should you be believed? You have no noticeable track record of holding any inside information or delivering anything from a reliable source, then suddenly come in with something from someone who apparently knows literally everything in the UK industry to be able to produce such numbers. A good few people here know a lot more than ever gets written, usually about a specific park, and for a variety of reasons. If you read the forums carefully and build an understanding of who's who a little bit there are some very knowledgeable and informed members who's do subtly give away quite a lot of information. You are not one of them! They would nearly never say 'I heard from a source that...' as if the info does have any merit they would be likely to be compromising their source. But the info is signposted if you know what you are looking for, and what you are looking for mostly is posters who have proved reliable in the past.

I'd say there is a good chance of a few woodies appearing in the next five years or so, that is entirely guessable with the current way the industry is going and things the likes of Varney have already said on the matter. It'll only need one to take the jump and others will follow if that is a success. I don't need a source to see that.

This is the main issue, since there are currently no parks in the UK officially building a wooden coaster at the current time...

Hence why it all sounds wrong, it's about as accurate as saying Plopsaland are building a wooden coaster in place of the Bat ride, but they've actually said it's on the shortlist of consideration...

This does sound familiar though I must say, probably from an European Expo event as opposed to IAAPA... Probably asking the bloke from RMC about future plans and he responded with a wink of the eye...

It's been said on these very forums a number of times in the last few years, but no one has ever tried to claim source or anything like the detail or certainty in numbers before as far as I'm aware. It's just been some common sense speculation.

I think the Drayton thing came from a slip of the tongue by an employee during a recorded behind the scenes tour. While we don't know that the person who said it would necessarily be privy to all the planning to actually know if a woodie was coming, it would seem from that that the idea was at least being discussed internally, which is a good sign. That was a couple of years ago now though, and still no plans have surfaced. 

The thing with Drayton. I did a trip back in 2013 with a club and we had lunch and owner spoke to us about the park how its doing and that they are trying to buy more land to expand the park, but also he mentioned they had 3 term Plans I think 3 7 and 10 year but not 100% on them. In each one would see a big attraction he said that rumors are true for 2014 they were going to build a junior MACK launch coaster over the lake with the plans that are online for it but they had to put that on hold for now not sure why, but they said that they had zamperla I'n last month and they got something in the pipeline but would not say. Well we now that became air race as well as looking at how Thomas Land could be expanded and add to that in the coming years.

He also said on his desk he has planes for a 100% pure woody, that will be put into one of his plans to get it built if they can not get more land built into the area next to the buffalo where the circus tent used to stand.

• 2 weeks later...

How are Maurer Shone doing these days? The last project I saw of them was the X-Train they made for  Romon World in China (I think). Their X-Cars are still popular I think, but could one of their SkyLoops possibly be Thorpe's next coaster. Well a sky loop in the style of Abismo (Parque de atracciones). Talking about X-Cars, how comfortable are those restraints? I have yet to go on one yet, so I don't know what it feels like.

How are Maurer Shone doing these days? The last project I saw of them was the X-Train they made for  Romon World in China (I think). Their X-Cars are still popular I think, but could one of their SkyLoops possibly be Thorpe's next coaster. Well a sky loop in the style of Abismo (Parque de atracciones). Talking about X-Cars, how comfortable are those restraints? I have yet to go on one yet, so I don't know what it feels like.

G-Force's restraint still attempts to sever you in two, but the newer models appear to have solved this issue...

I wouldn't say no to an Abismo clone actually, I found it surprisingly fab... But the throughput for Thorpe wouldn't be suitable...

Screamscape has posted that Thorpe Park is preparing to break ground on what will rumoured to be their largest investment in the park's history.

Lots of tree clearing has already begun near Miss Hippo’s Fungle Safari ride, the seating is being removed from The Arena and they expect to see all of Ranger Country redeveloped for the project as well. They believe that this will be the park’s 2016 attraction however.

They also believe at the new attraction may be themed after a major IP of some kind and may involve more “themeing” and less reliance on pure hardcore coaster thrills. This all does make it wonder if they may be mixing the rumored “Dr Who” themed attraction concept with their big 2016 heavy-duty attraction budget. 

Are you here for a new area re-themed to a major IP?

Are you here for a rumoured dark ride on Miss Hippo's Fungal Safari?

What do you think the new IP will be?