Next Big Thing - 2016 Development ?

pluk

If anything, it'll have to be an IP that blends in with both Inferno and Canada Creek - so hopefully Doctor Who's not an option.

I don't think anybody has cared about Canada Creek or Calypso Quay as "themes" for years.. Not much of a loss really because they were both cheap recyclings of even older themes and infrastructure, much of which had been ruined years ago. If anything Thorpe Park are trying to obliterate their entire past so far and rapidly modernise in a totally new way.

And for that reason, as nostalgic as I get about Miss Hippos and the good old days of Thorpe Park, strangely I'm all up for that extremely tired section of the park to be totally demolished and redesigned. Big expensive Dr Who ride slapped in the middle of Thorpe Park? Sure, why not?

This is what's been mentioned elsewhere on the forum since someone took the pics of the Arena seats being removed...

I've seen £30m being chucked around as the budget, and Dr Who as the IP... Plus read about what the ride type could potentially be, including something akin to Canada Wonderland's Wonder Mountain Guardian, which combines a coaster (barely) with dull interactive 3D shooting ride screens (I.e. no actual physical theming)...

If it ended up being that, themed to Dr Who, then I wouldn't really be that impressed, as Wonder Mountain Guardian looks absolutely horrid...

If it was something like Huntik/Thor's Hammer (I.e. Cheap Spiderman), then I might be more intrigued over it... But would Merlin WANT to build a ride like that when 3D screen based rides are just SO much easier to maintain in the long run...

Also, the theme areas might as well not exist these days... Especially after Thorpe's best one in Amity has been butchered so much over the recent years (via Storm Dirge and Angry Birds Land) shows a lack of care in that regard... So it'll be an IP in the same way of Angry Birds, plonked down in the middle of the park with little to no transistion of area...

These rumours started back in august from 1 lead engineer. I think it got a bit out of hand seeing as screamscape and south parks have done a very similar news report thing on it. The credibility of the statement is questionable also the fact no planning permission has been submitted, as its not on the MTDP I dont think they can submit it under reserved matters so to start ground work now before they have even submitted planning permission is a bit odd.

These rumours started back in august from 1 lead engineer. I think it got a bit out of hand seeing as screamscape and south parks have done a very similar news report thing on it. The credibility of the statement is questionable also the fact no planning permission has been submitted, as its not on the MTDP I dont think they can submit it under reserved matters so to start ground work now before they have even submitted planning permission is a bit odd.

The work started is pretty minimal- I'm sure Thorpe have a fairly good idea what they could install without issue before applying for permission.

Rumours about the Arena and stuff have been circulating for long before this one engineer said something (I've heard rumours from June). That's beside the point though :P

It won't go through as reserved matters like everything else we've got on the current MTDP has because no matter where it goes or how large it is the MTDP doesn't state the possibility of a building (although 5000sq m floorspace for 6 years was pretty large so maybe they've been thinking about it for a while). But they have 3000+ to play around with from the MTDP bank of floorspace.

All Thorpe have done so far is cut down some trees (which they're allowed to do, they're not Towers), put some markings around, rip out some seats and pull up some concrete from the Fungle site. 

Swarm's billboard was built before that got official permission so what they've done so far is just some general work. They don't have to get planning permission for everything (Ninferno and Colossus queue line shops never got permission because it just wasn't needed). As long as they don't cut down anything they're not supposed to they'll be fine :P (who's to say planning permission hasn't been submitted anyway, Runnymede can take a week or two to register the submission onto the site and stuff)

Considering it's for 2016, planning permission would only turn up midway through next year anyway...

As an aside, who's to say that the MTDP hasn't changed? That stated a coaster to be built on a new island, yet there's not much work happening on said island? Plans change, especially in theme parks...

Looking at where everything is being cut, in regards to the trees, I see a Intamin mega lite coaster going from the man made island beside swarm, and going to the area where the fungle safari is, then back. Now mentioning that though, is there any documents in regards to how close a attraction can be built to monk's walk? Nemesis Inferno is the closest I think, but that is the station part so no loud machinery.

Bare in mind the Screamscape article is literally just a rewording of the Southparks article.

As I said before, I've heard that X and the Arena could be making way for whatever comes about in 2016. There's obviously some plan for the Arena, but what, who knows for sure? I'd be very surprised if the Arena and Ranger County/Fungle spot are used for the same ride/development though, given it would take a major pathway away from the park.

I hope it's a 3D interactive dark ride, they are great fun and really hold a contained theme (like Transformers or Spiderman) without having to worry about areas.

They have a great selection of coasters I'd love to see something different than just cram another one of those in, my only concern is not picking another dead IP, Saw is dead, Angry Birds is close to it, Hunger Games will be dead in a few years too.

People have been speculating about the tree tagging and the like for quite some time, it's currently a case of 'your guess is as good as mine'- on TPM atleast. I also don't think that the current sources are entirely reliable, what with it just being a case of people playing around with what others have said etc. etc.

GIGA COASTER! The swarm island can be used, its settled enough now to be built on. Despite a airtime machine would be great, and would attract the audience they want as it would have no inversions, it seems that they are tending towards a form of immersive ride. I hope that they don't opt for a dark ride using 3D screens everywhere. What is wrong with the old fashioned world of physical stuff.