Merlin annual pass drinks capsule 2013

TPJames

As we plunge into another full-throttle year of theme parks and attractions, I thought I would bring up the topic of the Merlin drinks capsule. The drinks capsule has been a successful thing for a couple of years now and Merlin annual pass on facebook have said themselves that they will be releasing drinks capsules to chessington and Warwick castle this month. We have had no further update on this since they released the information of a new drinks capsule way in December 2012:

374951_10151280311436153_848035194_a.jpg
It is said that the drinks capsules will now last the entire lifetime of your pass but this has confused many, I believe that if you purchase a capsule in January and your pass expires in June, the drinks capsule is valid until June unless you renew in which case it will be valid until the following June. I am not 100% sure on this though and am waiting for further information to be released about this.

The drinks capsule will remain at the 2012 price of £16 even though it is now valid for longer.

A new vessel was introduced in 2012 because of leakages problems but it has been said that the new capsules still leak! People are hoping that the capsules will be fixed so they will not spill everywhere!

If you could post an update(if avalible) on what is happening below, e.g the capsules have been delievered to chessington, it would be very much appreciated!

BUY YOUR MERLIN ANNUAL PASS NOW FROM £74 PP!
http://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/

UPDATE: If your pass expires in June 2013 it is pointless getting a capsule until it expires and you renew. This is because when your pass expires you must buy a new capsule to have unlimited drink refills. Also, you will need to have the top of your annual pass clipped in white circle or you will not be able to refil. The label must also be on the bottle or you will not be able to refil so it needs taking care of! A new supply of capsules have been delivered to both chessington and Warwick castle!

Happy drinking!
CAPSULE TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
http://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/events/default.aspx?story=54

They've made this so confusing.

Also, on the top left corner of new Merlin Annual Passes is a small white circle saying 'Drinks Capsule' beneath it. Maybe when you buy the capsule the hole is punched through or something?

This is the new system, to stop anyone using a pass which hasn't bought a drink capsule, you have to have a pass with the white hole punched!

I will be getting a capsule on the 26th so I will tell you all...

That implies that you HAVE to buy a drinks capsule...

Surely you mean it's so people aren't using drink capsules if they don't have a pass? I have bought my new pass, but according to you I cannot use it unless I also purchase a drinks capsule, which is ridiculous.

EDIT: Re-read your post and I think I get what you're actually trying to say, but it's been worded poorly. I think.

It's to stop the way that say people share the capsules. For example we buy one capsule between the two of us and before either of us could get it filled up with our own APs but this season it would have to be the same person all the time.

I emailed Merlin as I have a mid-year renewal date on my pass. I would have to pay £16 for now until my renewal date even though I would be able to use the capsule for less than a year. No discounts or anything for people in the same situation as me.

Well for some not for others, I just got a pass January and am planning to buy a capsule. I will pay £16 for a years worth of drinks when I buy on the 26th January and if I wish to buy another one I will pay another £16 for another year!

Lets say your pass expires in June and we both buy capsules in January:

You pay £16 for 5/6 months and then £16 for a year= £32 for 1 and a half years.

I pay £16 for one year and £16 for another year= £32 for 2 years

Although your capsules expires later than my first, it is your second and you are paying the same amount as me for less time with a capsule. However, if you wait till June to buy one you are not being ripped off!

Oh god its the towers street moaning on here.

Get over it, it's a bloody year. After November 2012 noone will be short changed anyway (and tbf, it's probably worth spending £16 if your pass dies in september).

It stops/limits abuse. It stops people sharing capsules between annual pass holders, and it stops one person buying a capsule and using it forever.

Pretty simple to understand, when your pass expires, your annual pass capsule expires. You have to buy a new capsule and renew annual pass to continue using them both.

I feel privledged now - I have never brought a drinks capsule yet as I can't bear the idea of carrying that thing around with you all day.

However I renewed my pass this month which therefore means my new current pass does not expire until July 2014 as I had the renewal added onto my current pass.

Therefore unlimited drinks for the next 18 months for £16, I think I may be obliged to finally buy one, I'll still be saving money I'm sure even If I don't bring it with me all the time.

Plus it answers the question to what the white dot is - I've been confused about it since I bought it!

I like the idea and think it is fairer. This transitional period means that people will have to even wait a little bit longer till they get their cup, or just buy one which lasts a few months, rather than 12 (and when you think about it, due to the way the parks are open, unless you use it loads at Warwick Castle, it's only really used March-November in the old system in a way anyways...). After that, like Fred says, this system is fine, and a lot better.

I'm annoyed they haven't changed the design of the cups though. I had no end of problems with my last year... ¬¬

I feel privledged now - I have never brought a drinks capsule yet as I can't bear the idea of carrying that thing around with you all day.

However I renewed my pass this month which therefore means my new current pass does not expire until July 2014 as I had the renewal added onto my current pass.

Therefore unlimited drinks for the next 18 months for £16, I think I may be obliged to finally buy one, I'll still be saving money I'm sure even If I don't bring it with me all the time.

Plus it answers the question to what the white dot is - I've been confused about it since I bought it!

Wait if I renew now, and get it expiring in 2015, will my capsule be valid till then?

Also just a general question, when I got my pass, they added a week extra on, any idea why this is?

I don't like this new system and don't think it will work well. Are they really saying that if you purchase one with your current annual pass then you will only have a few months of use with it?

If so then that is appauling, why can't they just issue you with a second card with "Drinks Capsule" written on it that you have to show to the member of staff.

And on top of all of that, I don't want a hole punched in my Merlin pass!!! :(

There'd be no point in having a second card, as the point of it is to prove that you bought the capsule and entitled to it. A hole punched is absolutely fine really, I'm sure you'll get used to it.

Equally, after november there'll be no issues regarding the length of use of the drinks capsules. It'll all be okay. There's much worse things to moan about, like thorpes closed season photos (;))

Got ours at the weekend and the hole punched through in the shape of a bottle, which is easy enough to manage. Our passes are valid for another 15 months, so I think we got a bargain here.

I can't see the hole punch thing working for couple who share a capsule, as they just register it on one card and only get one person go up. I can see many areas where this can be abused.

• Staff simply not checking which happens way too often
  • If you have say 3 capsules and only two of you go up with valid passes and you explain the other person is in the loo, I'm sure you can get that third capsule filled up.

One area I would like to see improved is more self service areas where you can fill up yourself nothing more frustrating than waiting at the food outlets for ages when you have one customer in front and the staff are working at a slow speed

Thanks mate will go there first thing when I am visiting :)

I got my pass today and It was awesome! Even though it cost £16 it was worth the money because I had £7 of drinks :P (according to donut stall prices)

I have to say the straw is a bit annoying and does not always work and the capsule leaks a little but otherwise they are awesome- even in the chicken resturant they let me fill up with my capsule :)

I reccomend getting one if you drink lots because they end up turning great value for money!

• 1 month later...

I have to say the straw is a bit annoying and does not always work and the capsule leaks a little but otherwise they are awesome- even in the chicken resturant they let me fill up with my capsule :)

I reccomend getting one if you drink lots because they end up turning great value for money!

So it costs £16, the straw doesn't always work and it leaks a little bit.

The design is the only thing that's changed on these capsules - not the quality, and I shall never buy one again, thankfully I haven't done for years now.

What a take-on.