'The Book of the Park' - 1981

JoshC.

I recently acquired a relatively old book about Thorpe Park, published in 1981. Entitled 'The Book of the Park', this is one book you can judge by its cover - it covers the park in great detail as it was. Of course, in 1981 the park had only been open for a couple of years, and so the place is completely unrecognisble. With this book being older than a large number of members here, whilst it's highly unlikely to bring any memories back to anyone here, it's still an interesting look.

The book itself is 130 pages long and in full colour. I don't know if it was avaliable on park as something to buy, something that was used locally as 'advertising' and given away fro free or what. But as I say, it's still interesting, goes into a lot of detail and some great photos. Here's a few pages I've scanned up:

8d80cf41-d876-499b-b492-13a4dd936a7a_zps

The front cover.

2_zps1f98887e.jpg

Contents pages.

3_zps0253b56a.jpg

The beginning of the 'An adventure in leisure' section, which introduces the park.

42_zps7f7277aa.jpg

The 1981 'map'.

5_zpsd04ac9b6.jpg

Each 'section' of the book has it's own 2-page introductory spread, with a brief overview and nice drawings like this.

7_zps9dce9854.jpg

Model World was a huge point for the park.

8_zpsc36e3645.jpg

A bit on the waterbuses, which gives a nice view of the dome from the entrance bridge.

9_zps0adb28f5.jpg

Speaking of the dome, or as it was known then, the Mountbatten Pavilion, here's a 2 page spread on it!

10_zpse2edaa55.jpg

A bit of info on what fun things there are to do. The photo in the bottom right is particularly striking to me.

11-1_zpsb64e177f.jpg

Cinema 180 was the 'new thing' for the park in 1981, though it is completed unrelated to the 4D cinema and was situated somewhere in what we know as the Lost City area now I think.

fa804bb1-0623-4f83-98b5-0dbf960ffa69_zps

The final page gives this particular beautiful sight of the dome. I think if we were to look at this angle this year, we'd be seeing The Crash Pad.

That's all for the time being! I do hope to scan more pages up, especially the introductions to each section, but I thought that these were some of the most interesting ones to look up. If anyone has any specific pages they'd like to see, just say. I can't guarantee I'll get them up right away, as the scanners at uni are pretty slow and clunky to be honest, but I will get round to them.

:)