Wicker Man

EC!

Yes, I don't think for a second that this is an IP, it's a theme based on the same folklore/history that the film is inspired by. I don't expect a Nicolas Cage based preshow!

The basis of Wickerman stories is someone being chosen to be burned alive inside the effigy as a sacrifice to the gods. If the 'Be Chosen' tagline thing relates to that as part of the narrative of the ride then this is set to be a very very dark theme!

Edited by pluk
More

So it's a 40 foot high GCI woody with most of the layout taking place in tunnels, so all signs point to it being a family coaster at best. Yet they are theming it to a dark and screwed up ritual that most people won't understand. Where is the logic in this?

I really hope this "theme" provides fantastic theming and lots of fire effects (real ones) or otherwise I can't see why this is a better idea than just presenting it as it is, a small family GCI woody and just giving it a generic theme.

At this stage, it's dumb but it might still work, just please don't market this as a terrifying thrilling new coaster or it's going to be 13 all over again. 

A gloomy and dark IP for a family coaster?

The Wickerman is also pretty irrelevant right now too.. Ughh.. Trust Merlin to fu** up the theme for a GCI Family Woodie..

I think this won't fit in to Mutiny Bay very well either.. They could of just gave this a simple wood related theme and name and call it quits..

They could have just themed it so it's the same as mutiny bay. A pirate theme would have suited the ride perfectly fine and would have made a nice change to Merlin's themes. Instead it looks like once again a dark gloomy ride pitched at the completely wrong audience for the layout. All we need now is for the pre-show to contain a load of actors and we will have a full house of Merlin repeated mistakes. 

I admit I'm a bit disappointed it's not pirate themed. I am hopeful that Merlin won't repeat the same mistakes with theming of other rides though. A good experience and theme could be critical on whether the ride is a success or a failure.

Right now, I'm more excited about Icon, the double launch coaster at Blackpool as I've never been on a full size Mack coaster before. It's great to finally see a new Mack Ride being built in the UK too.

It makes no sense to theme a small(ish) family wooden coaster to a horror theme, completely alienating the audience the ride is intended for as well as creating false expectations of a much more thrilling ride to match the theme.  It also shows no consistency for a so-called "theme park", the ride would have fitted in superbly with Mutiny Bay if a pirate theme had been used.

Also, I really don't see why a wooden coaster should require a preshow, the ride itself should be good enough without the need for these extra "tag-ons" which will probably be forgotten about after a few years.

3 hours ago, Coaster said:

It makes no sense to theme a small(ish) family wooden coaster to a horror theme, completely alienating the audience the ride is intended for as well as creating false expectations of a much more thrilling ride to match the theme.  It also shows no consistency for a so-called "theme park", the ride would have fitted in superbly with Mutiny Bay if a pirate theme had been used.

Also, I really don't see why a wooden coaster should require a preshow, the ride itself should be good enough without the need for these extra "tag-ons" which will probably be forgotten about after a few years.

th13teen-slider-logo.png

On 29/08/2017 at 4:17 PM, Benin said:

Reveal hidden contents

th13teen-slider-logo.png

In fairness Thirteen is more spooky than horror, there isn't really anything in the building scarier than Duel or Hex for example.

That said, the way Thirteen was marketed created false expectations the same way giving SW8 a horror theme could.

The Vampire (in its better days when it was ACTUALLY properly creepy) was my favourite ride when I was 9... It depends how the horror style is done.

I Also think lots of enthusiasts are getting wound up over nothing with whether SW8 "fits in" with Mutiny Bay. I certainly agree a theme park shouldn't be jarring changes between rides with themes that don't go together. But The Flume site was always set back from the rest the area, and since when was Mutiny Bay a particularly interesting theme anyway ? Would a "pirate" themed wooden coaster really be very good? Pirates is literally the most generic theme in the box!

What will make SW8 good is if it is designed well with fun features and atmosphere, not thinly spread token theming with a humourless grey theme like The Swarm or Saw

On 29 August 2017 at 1:15 PM, Coaster said:

Perhaps, however pre-shows can work. The big thing with rides and this whole value for money idea these days is to create more than just a ride, and to create an experience. A majority of people won't pay attention to queue line videos or audio anymore as they're all too busy on their smartphones; so by adding a pre-show it gives the ability to create a story or atmosphere; which guests are almost 'forced' to watch; and thus ensures it's more than just another roller coaster and is more of an experience. I'm pretty impartial to them; I don't love them, I don't hate them. But would you have any idea what Furius Baco's story is without the- actually, thinking about it even that one is a bit vague... but they have started to become a bit of a thing. Furius Baco, Baron at Efteling, even Mystic Timbers in a different sense and I'm sure there's more I can't think of.

On 31 August 2017 at 7:42 PM, Wumbamillio said:

I Also think lots of enthusiasts are getting wound up over nothing with whether SW8 "fits in" with Mutiny Bay. I certainly agree a theme park shouldn't be jarring changes between rides with themes that don't go together. But The Flume site was always set back from the rest the area, and since when was Mutiny Bay a particularly interesting theme anyway ? Would a "pirate" themed wooden coaster really be very good? Pirates is literally the most generic theme in the box!

I'm about to defend you and disagree with you in two ways. Pirate rides: yes they work. Krake at Heide Park is a pretty strong example IMO of how a pirate themed roller coaster can really fit and work well; and whilst I may or may not prefer OTBH at Garda out of the two dive's; I can't criticise Krake's theme and how they've brought all that together as for Merlin, it's pretty decent.

And then theres the flip of that in Colossos at Heide, which, doesn't really sit in a land; despite having an Aztec flat ride fair next to it; yet at the same time doesn't need to as a coaster should be able to sit as its own entity if far away from the next theme and hold its worth. So in that sense, I much agree with you that whilst the Flume was officially in Mutiny Bay/Merrie England; despite never having a theme that fitted that; it was always just far enough aside from it to just 'exist' as a ride and I was fine with that. So I do feel that this should be the same.

(Summarise that last one: a pirate theme can be done well, Merlin have proven that. No it shouldn't need to fit if done well)

Well, it's something I guess. Alton are in a dire state at the moment with closed rides and post Smiler etc.. Hopefully with the extra attention, they'll be able to open all of their rides and operate like a proper theme park. That'll at least make me visit again. Been away from all Merlin parks for a few years now. Surely that tells them something (I can't be the only one)? As a non annual pass holder, paying the day rate for closed rides, parks shutting at 4 in the afternoon, one train/sloppy operations is not an option. Fingers crossed with this, they'll be back on their game. Unfortunetly, I just don't think it'll happen. Merlin are lazy, cheap and sloppy.

If we all look at the bigger picture, If merlin can and have saved on costs even if planned to be short term. if financially it improved profitability, its hard to justify getting the budget back up as there would need to be a physical return on the investment which maybe difficult to sell and have the additional £££'s built back into P&L figures/budgets.

7 hours ago, RobF said:

If we all look at the bigger picture, If merlin can and have saved on costs even if planned to be short term. if financially it improved profitability, its hard to justify getting the budget back up as there would need to be a physical return on the investment which maybe difficult to sell and have the additional £££'s built back into P&L figures/budgets.

I genuinely fell asleep reading that post. 

Doesn't that first drop look shit? Just sort of meandering about a bit, too steep to be a turnaround, not steep enough to be drop, and unbanked.

That lack of banking must discount any sort of lifthill launch system.

As that section will all be enclosed, and will be taken too slowly to deliver any excitement in itself, is it likely that it will contain some sort of show or immersive effect?

2 hours ago, pluk said:

Doesn't that first drop look ****? Just sort of meandering about a bit, too steep to be a turnaround, not steep enough to be drop, and unbanked.

That lack of banking must discount any sort of lifthill launch system.

As that section will all be enclosed, and will be taken too slowly to deliver any excitement in itself, is it likely that it will contain some sort of show or immersive effect?

The whole thing looks sh*t and it sucks because I've yet to find a GCI I don't love. Maybe Merlin can advertise that. "The World's first crap GCI woodie!".

I know it wasn't planned this way but the fact this opens (probably late) in the same year as Icon is hilarious. One of the worst coasters I've ever watched being built in the UK versus the most exciting UK coaster in many years.