Wicker Man

EC!

I'm probably in the minority that is somewhat excited for this coaster.

Ā 

Whilst the layout and design perhaps seems like it could have done more, the groundworks and theming look intriguing indeed and I don't think I've been as excited for a coaster since the Swarm.

Ā 

Can safely say I've not actually found a wooden coaster I dislike. Even Stampida I had some liking too and hopefully it will be the same here.

Ā 

Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

The more I see of it, the more convinced I am that SW8 is actually going to be a really decent coaster.

Ā 

Some of the low-to-ground turns look fantastic, as well as the moments of potential-airtime dotted throughout the layout, it might not be the biggest coaster ever but it appears to be a gimmick-free, fun layout - and as the first brand-new woodie in the UK for years, that's very important and surely a step forward in terms of recent UK investments?

Ā 

In addition, the landscaping looks really nice with the rockwork around the station, the station itself looks neat and I can see the overall ride area looking fantastic once it's finished.Ā  Whilst I'm not one to judge a ride before it's finished, it already looks set to be a huge improvementĀ from the concrete mess of The Smiler!

Ā 

I think it's unfortunate that the development has suffered from a lack of any proper marketing, with the park instead choosing to post YouTube videosĀ in a desperate attempt to stay "current" with as many 'not-quite-world-first' taglines as they can - and I'd put the lack of enthusiasm partly down to this.Ā  I wish they'd just advertise the fact that they are building a (seemingly) decent coaster.

Following photos from TPG's Facebook...

Ā 

22279472_1441737865881508_55387789047518

Looks nice - surely there will be fire effect on this?

Ā 

Also, as many other parks with wooden coasters do, Towers are selling pieces of wood with SW8 branding...

22310580_1440960612625900_44658431559808

Ā 

At a cost of the low low price of Ā£25, it can belong to you...though apparently the shelves where they were sold were empty by the end of today...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

8 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Seems a bit strange to be selling parts of a wooden coaster that haven't actually been on the wooden coaster, but maybe that's just me.

I don't think they're actually advertising them as being parts of the coaster (correct me if I'm wrong!).Ā  They're more just there as a commemorative piece - many other parks do the same too.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Benin said:

Ā£25 is too expensive for me, but it's a neat idea...

Ā 

For comparison, Wodan blocks are ā‚¬12.50...

Plopsaland can go one better; Heidi blocks are ā‚¬8.

9 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Seems a bit strange to be selling parts of a wooden coaster that haven't actually been on the wooden coaster, but maybe that's just me.

Agreed, it canā€™t really be classified as SW8 wood when it had no contribution to the actual coaster.

Ā 

They shouldā€™ve waited for when it gets RMCā€™d in the far futureĀ :glare:

30 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

I don't think they're actually advertising them as being parts of the coaster (correct me if I'm wrong!).Ā  They're more just there as a commemorative piece - many other parks do the same too.

Fair enough, I think it's great when parks sell parts/wood that has actually been used on the ride(s), but I guess it'sĀ a good marketing tool for SW8 if people are willing to pay Ā£25!

Ā 

30 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

Plopsaland can go one better; Heidi blocks are ā‚¬8.

BPB sell wood from their wooden coasters for Ā£5Ā ;)

13 hours ago, TPC said:

Well I know awfully well your huge dislike of Merlin so if anything, this is quite a positive comment from you, about a Merlin project.Ā :)

You seem to have far more of an agenda than anyone else? At least this 'Merlin project' is panning out very different from most others, which I'd expect to be a good thing - time will tell I guess. But you can't blame people for being concerned by the underwhelming prospects so far. Going in with low expectations but an open mind is better than going in with high expectations, only to be treated to Merlin's cheap formulaic usual.

I'm not expecting much from the Wickerman after years of disappointments that have all ended up the same way. But I will love to be pleasantly surprised when it opens, if I am enticed enough to visit. It will be something different for the UK, and that can only be good.

I doubt anyone has an actual agenda against Merlin, most fans all visit their parks. As paying guests we need to vocalise what we feel is poor or standards dropping (as long as we can reason it), as well as what we enjoy. If we don't like how the parks are heading, visit less/ stop visiting, then as a business they will have to listen.

Ā 

If you think there's nothing wrong with the Merlin parks, then keep visiting, but don't accuse others of having an agenda (unless they're just criticising unreasonably). Merlin is one of the biggest leisure companies in the world, it doesn't need sympathy!

35 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

I doubt anyone has an actual agenda against Merlin, most fans all visit their parks. As paying guests we need to vocalise what we feel is poor or standards dropping (as long as we can reason it), as well as what we enjoy. If we don't like how the parks are heading, visit less/ stop visiting, then as a business they will have to listen.

Ā 

If you think there's nothing wrong with the Merlin parks, then keep visiting, but don't accuse others of having an agenda (unless they're just criticising unreasonably). Merlin is one of the biggest leisure companies in the world, it doesn't need sympathy!

That's not what I'm saying - obviously Merlin are nowhere near perfect. But I would say there are one or two users on here who have a proper agenda against MerlinĀ :ph34r: