Wicker Man

EC!

It’s a shame actually that Merlin assumed that John Wardley was consulting with Magic Making on SW8 when he wasn’t involved for the most part. (They assumed MMM had invited him to look over the project) He said that by the time he looked over the plans, the foundations had already been designed at that point. He thought the track layout wasn’t great and made improvements on No Limits which Magic Making and GCI both conceded were an improvement. GCI agreed to change the foundations for the first two drops, so expect the first part of the ride to be good and the rest is all Magic Making’s responsibility! 

Towers Street are now reporting that the Smokehouse restaurant, which was meant to open on the courtyard this year, will not be built for 2018.

The Welcoming, which used the location, is still fully built and Scare Tour are of the understanding that the maze will return in largely the same location for 2018's Scarefest.

I really enjoyed The Welcoming but in the long-term I think its going to really hurt them with the loss of a food-place in a quite popular area (probably going to be quite crowded in that area due to Wicker Man)

I do find it a tad odd though as Alton have bucket loads of spare space to house scare attractions..

A restaurant probably would of been a better long-term use of the space as they could of easily re-homed The Welcoming.

15 hours ago, Coaster said:

Strange decision, especially considering The welcoming was terrible!

I still don't understand why they removed Courtyard BBQ, it was the best place to eat at Alton IMO.

Woodcutters though (though Courtyard was good when they actually had a pirate show).

On 16/01/2018 at 10:06 AM, Benin said:

I don't understand half the decisions made by Merlin parks right now...

A brand new sit down eatery (that's been closed all last year anyway) would be so useful given how popular the area will be, but... For some reason, nah...

Poor show...

Suppose its all about money and CAPEX. If they spent it all, they cant afford to create the resturant, so its not on the map this year. Already hyped up the coaster, so have to prioritise spending on that? 

On 17/01/2018 at 11:14 AM, qzzb_uk said:

Suppose its all about money and CAPEX. If they spent it all, they cant afford to create the resturant, so its not on the map this year. Already hyped up the coaster, so have to prioritise spending on that? 

But if I read the situation correctly, theyve actually budgeted for a restaurant and then cut it, so only if they've gone far over budget on the coaster would this make sense. Hopefully it wasn't just another budgeting trick to have a side project granted budget from Merlin's financiers that Alton Towers can then 'conveniently' cancel and use the money elsewhere?

Be interesting to see if The Welcoming opens during the main season at all.  Logic being that they advertise a family coaster with a heavy theme, and for those wanting the extra scary factor, they can experience the maze.  Stops the thrill seekers being as disappointed that way.  Then open the Smokehouse in 2019.

Doubt it'll happen (except maybe on the odd special day), but doesn't seem out of the realm of possibilty.

27 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

But if I read the situation correctly, theyve actually budgeted for a restaurant and then cut it, so only if they've gone far over budget on the coaster would this make sense. Hopefully it wasn't just another budgeting trick to have a side project granted budget from Merlin's financiers that Alton Towers can then 'conveniently' cancel and use the money elsewhere?

Could be that the budget had to be diverted to unexpected maintenace on a ride or operational expenses. Only one who really knows would be their CFO! 

From TowersStreet

So, I submitted the ASA complaint, as I thought the initial marketing announcement a couple of weeks ago was false. Wicker Man is NOT the first rollercoaster to fuse wood with fire. The ASA agreed, and have instructed Alton Towers to take appropriate action and remove these false claims.

Now, Alton will have to sell a rollercoaster as a rollercoaster, without false Worlds First claims that simply are not true. They're better than that!