EC!

Wicker Man - New for 2018

I'm in agreement with most about the stupidity of it being a 'worlds first' but then it would it be an SW if it didn't have a 'worlds first' element? Remember that neither RITA or Spinball had Secret Weapon codenames. As it stands I'm willing to give Merlin the benefit of the doubt until I've ridden it, it may genuinely be a worlds first. 

Talking of the dark theme though: Thirteen has a dark theme and is lapped up by the public. Attendance went up massively and it still remains one of the most popular rides in the park. Merlin are using the same tactics here because, as far as they were concerned, the marketing worked perfectly. 

Wasn't Nemesis advertised as a European first whilst Air was definitely advertised as worlds first. This 'worlds first' stuff can only work so many times and when its wheeled out for every. single. attraction then it just looks like overblown bluster. Especially when they get more and more tenuous. I think marketing worked for Thirteen at first, it backfired and now because of its low height restriction, is available to a lot of people as a first step towards the more intense rides. Thats how I see Wicker Man going down, people love wooden coasters which is why its so frustrating that its been so long to get one built.

It’s a shame actually that Merlin assumed that John Wardley was consulting with Magic Making on SW8 when he wasn’t involved for the most part. (They assumed MMM had invited him to look over the project) He said that by the time he looked over the plans, the foundations had already been designed at that point. He thought the track layout wasn’t great and made improvements on No Limits which Magic Making and GCI both conceded were an improvement. GCI agreed to change the foundations for the first two drops, so expect the first part of the ride to be good and the rest is all Magic Making’s responsibility! 

Towers Street are now reporting that the Smokehouse restaurant, which was meant to open on the courtyard this year, will not be built for 2018.

The Welcoming, which used the location, is still fully built and Scare Tour are of the understanding that the maze will return in largely the same location for 2018's Scarefest.

I don't understand half the decisions made by Merlin parks right now...

A brand new sit down eatery (that's been closed all last year anyway) would be so useful given how popular the area will be, but... For some reason, nah...

Poor show...

Strange decision, especially considering The welcoming was terrible!

I still don't understand why they removed Courtyard BBQ, it was the best place to eat at Alton IMO.

I really enjoyed The Welcoming but in the long-term I think its going to really hurt them with the loss of a food-place in a quite popular area (probably going to be quite crowded in that area due to Wicker Man)

I do find it a tad odd though as Alton have bucket loads of spare space to house scare attractions..

A restaurant probably would of been a better long-term use of the space as they could of easily re-homed The Welcoming.